“Just Checked in More to come”
Review of Hilton Reading

Hilton Reading
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersGold level
Swindon
“Just Checked in More to come”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel in April, spoke about Hilton Honours Benefits, no complimentary water, no complimentary paper of your choice and no complimentary drinks, response from them was they would review their Benefits. Just booked in and guess what still none of the above unless you were in a Deluxe room? Receptionist was still excellent and welcomed me back for the 3rd time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton in Reading for one night on 21st June. The hotel appealed to me after seeing a Travel Zoo spa offer as I didn’t realise there was a Hilton in Reading with a spa.

Upon arrival parking was very easy and the lobby area is very clean and bright, hints purple are a theme throughout the hotel begining with the huge chandelier in the lobby.
The hotel is still very new and only noticed a couple of signs of wear in the lifts.
We'd booked a suite which was very nice, basically two rooms, one lounge area with huge flatscreen, the other being the main bedroom. In my opinion it would have been better to have a bigger bathroom rather than a second loo in the lounge area. It's obvious that the hotel was designed as the same room shapes and then the rooms were fit into the basic frame. This room could easily have been two interconnecting rooms. The decor was nice, again hints of purple, big comfortable bed and modern furnture.
The view over the A33 not much to look at!

After unpacking we headed down to the pool and spa and unfortunately thats where our disappointment began. There is a small pool, sauna and steam room for use by persons over the age of 16, imagine our suprise to find the pool full of small children having swimming lessons! We used the sauna and steam room but then there was no-where to relax / cool down as the loungers around the pool were full of parents watching the swimming lessons. I must say that we have two young children and do a similar thing once a week, our disappointment was that this was not advertised to us and the only reason we booked this hotel.

I left my husband cooling down sat against a locker in the changing room while I went off for my hot stone massage. It was a bit weird waiting in the reception area less than 2m from the outside in a robe I have to say, then it got weirder. I was taken up to the first floor in my gown to a hotel room where the bed had replaced with a temporary massage table. The therapist then waited in the bathroom while I got onto the bed and under the towel, even more weird. The music was also an unusual choice opera hymns....hardly the relaxing atmosphere I had expected.

I must say at this point that the massage was amazing and all credit to the therapist (Sophie I think), she was doing her best with the environment provided.

On returning to our suite I found a rather grumpy husband who's experience had not improved and had complained to the reception who offered complementary stuff, his start to our night away hadn't got off to the best start to be honest and was too annoyed to accept anything.

We had a quick drink in the bar which was perfectly acceptable before heading into town for dinner.

Breakfast the next morning was great, huge choice that you would expect and polite service.

At check out I raised my concerns with the reception who was grateful for my feedback and explained they were currently testing the demand for a spa, she also took onboard that they do not advertise that it's a temporary facility for the treatments and that if they are hiring the pool out for swimming lessons then this should be communicated. In return for my feedback I requested a reduction on our room rate and was offered 35% off which I accepted.

Overall, a nice clean hotel close to town, would I stay again....probably not. Normally stay at the Malmaision which we prefer especially as the spa was the differentiator which didn't actually deliver.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your comments about the Hotel and the team are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

Please be assured that I will be monitoring the service delivery very closely to ensure the standards are being held high in the Hilton Reading.

I appreciate the time you took to let me know about your experience so I can look in to improving this.

We thank you for choosing the Hilton Reading, and please let me know If I can be of any further assistance to you.

Holger Ewald - F&B Manager
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We've stayed at this Hilton property as part of our visit to Reading. The hotel location is not convenient if what you looking for is easy access to the city center but the building itself is great. It's a brand new building managed by Hilton so don't expect a warm welcome by the staff. We also had dinner in the restaurant and the food was good but the ambience was very poor (2 tables occupied). The best part of the stay (as every time we stay with Hilton) was breakfast. Actually this is the main reason why we choose Hilton when travelling. So if you are looking for an easy stay in a brand new building this is your hotel. However if what you are looking for is real hospitality and to feel looked after Hilton is not your hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

The Hilton Reading is conveniently located on the Kennet Island development, off the A33, 5 minutes by taxi to the centre of Reading and minutes from both the Madejski Stadium, Green Park Business Park and close to the M4.

I am disappointed to read your comment in regards to not recieving a 'warm welcome'
from our staff. I have raised your comments with the Front of House Manager who will address this with his team immediately.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the Hilton Breakfast.

We thank you for choosing the Hilton Reading, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact me.

london, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Spa trip was very good. Good steam and wet room however, would be nice for a whirl pool. The spa therapy is in a room I think the hotel should develop a separate area since the treatments were good however very short. Everything else about the hotel was very good brilliant but small pool, good food, lovely interior. The rooms were very well furnished and immaculate

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Eliz K
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great hotel with intellegent and helpful staff. Very professional service. Safe and secure car parking with easy and convenient access to the main road network. Some of the seats in the bar area could have been more comfortable for lounging, but they were fine when using a laptop etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that service your recieved from our staff was delivered to a high standard.

Kent
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Hilton Reading is really nice and modern looking. The rooms are clean and of good standard. The positive aspects are the health suite which compromises of a pool, sauna and steam room. There are complimentary towels and the staff are very nice. The location suited me and my boyfriend perfectly and is literally a 5 min drive to town centre.

The breakfast was very nice but it does get a bit hectic and packed which cannot be avoided really. There is a large variety of fried breakfast and continental- all of which was very nice.

I was able to check in 15 mins early and it literally took 90 seconds which was great.

The rooms have all that you need and the bed was very comfy.

Car Park is a great bonus - it is underground which usually scares me (as I am a bad driver) but was quite spacious and always available spaces.

The negative aspect was being charged for a bottle of water at £3.95. A bottle of water I didnt drink. I am still unsure if this was purposely added to my bill in the hope that I wouldnt notice or if they do this to every customer? Or was it a mistake? Whatever the reason, I really didnt appreciate this and was not offered an apology.

However, this is just something to look out for.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to friends and family but I paid £82 for a double room and breakfast which is not a bad deal but I wouldnt pay anymore.

Room Tip: There are no real good views for this hotel, they are not bad though. The rooms at the front may off...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the service to be fast and efficient. I am also delighted to see that you were able to make use of our hotel amenities.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A lovely hotel, huge beds, fantastic breakfast and great toiletries! We stayed here for a wedding nearby and it was great. The bed was enormous and so comfortable with lovely white bed linen, it felt very luxurious. Breakfast had everything you could possibly want. The toiletries were top notch. Only slight problem was that the mini bar didn't work! Other than that it was excellent and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for letting me know that your mini bar was not in operation. I have informed both our Front Office Manager, as well as our Maintenance Manager, who will look into this.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed our bathroom amenities. I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast.