“Excellent for business”

Hilton Reading
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Anything I wanted or needed was not too much for any member of staff.

Ample parking, fantastic greeting in reception, bar and restaurant staff were very helpful. Environment also became very good for business meetings too.

Wouldn't hasitate to go again!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your comments about the Hotel and the team are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us

We thank you for choosing the Hilton Reading, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact me.

Guest Services

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed there on business for a week as it was near to the client I was visiting. Its appears to be a fairly new hotel on the A33 and is situated down a side street across the road from some newly built apartments. It has a underground car park which is free to residents. The car park will issue you a ticket at the barrier and you get this validated when you check in and it is valid for entry and exit throughout your stay. Some people on exiting the car park, feed it to the machine at the barrier and drive off leaving the ejected ticket in the machine. There is a lift from the underground car park to the lobby of the hotel. The lifts to the rooms are across the lobby opposite the car park lift.
Check in was quick and painless and I was greeted warmly by the receptionist. The receptionist could do with more training about informing the guest about the facilities and dining times as I usually get from other hotels. I had to keep asking questions to get the info I wanted.
Anyway the rooms are modern and have a flat screen and air conditioning controls. It is one of those rooms that you have to put your key card into the slot near the door to activate the lights and a/c in the room. The bed is nice and comfy for my bad back and the bathroom is clean and modern. Wifi in the room is available but it is expensive at £5.99 for 1 hour and £15.99 for 24 hours. I object very strongly on the high charges imposed by the major hotel chains as I find them unjustifiable in this day and age. Even the budget hotel only charge £3 per 24 hours for Wifi so why the high prices? You could get free Wifi for 1 hour in the lobby area but you need to obtain a code from reception.
I had breakfast every day at the restaurant downstairs and although the food variety and quality was fine, I found the service from the waiting staff very erratic. The restaurant greeter does not exist and you have to wait for one of the waiting staff to notice you before you get seated. Funnily, a lady member of staff dressed in a suit who looks like she would be the greeter was always too busy setting the tables. I had to pester the waiting staff for tea and orange juice which I shouldn't have to as they seemed more bothered with clearing the tables, which is important, but not to the expense of the service to the guest. It didn't bother me that much but I know it would bother others.
Anyway when it came for me to leave, the checkout process was also quick and painless with a pleasant goodbye from the receptionist.
I would consider coming back to stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate your comments and are disappointed that your dining experience was not as you would have expected. We are looking into this and can assure you this will be addressed by the Food and Beverage Manager.

I am delighted to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I stay at Hilton hotels almost every week..... Mainly for the points. Having stayed in Euston last night without sleeping a wink because of the ambient noise it was with some trepardtion that I checked into the Reading Hilton this evening.

Warm welcome, nice room, very good food and excellent staff lifted my spirits.

I whole hartedly recommend this particular Hilton for the slightly jaded business traveller in need of some respite.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night. Picked the hilton, because let's face it they are boring and you know what you are going to get. Generally you get an uninspired business traveller hotel. And from that point of view I don't think we were disappointed. Where we were disappointed was the rest of the hotel, although its obviously a new hotel, the first room were we're in was one of their superior rooms. Slightly larger than the regular rooms. We were a little put off by the glass table top on the desk which had a sharp cracked bit of glass on the edge closest to the chair, talking go the chair there was an unsettling white stain on it. Interesting factoid for the management. It's great and all you put the little white caps on the glasses, I mean most hotels would just turn them upside down to stop dust going in them. But you managed to put a little cap on them and not clean them, which makes you wonder why you have them if its to keep the glasses clean. Anyway I digress we had quite a bit of noise from the air on plant so we asked to move. This time we got moved to a room with a view....of the industrial park over the road. Better than the rooms that look out over the motorway. Breakfast was interesting. As a side note the hotel seems to have an all polish staff, seems the hilton is a microcosm of the uk, and I have a feeling something was lost in translation when they trained the staff. So we went to breakfast which is a buffet, I think the first indication of trouble ahead was the milk had been put in the sugar dish and the sugar was in the milk jug. Cunning give away, to pour liquids, tends to help if you use the vessel that has a spout. My wife went for the bacon and eggs, after searching through a few plates she eventually found one that didn't have food residue stuck on it from the dish washing process. The eggs were either made with instant eggs or had just been made really badly, the seemed to have a lot of egg white through them, bacon was cheap and greasy and in unappetising. My wife also ordered a hot chocolate , this had been made with two much of the powder mix as it had not all dissolved and made the beverage very gritty. I went for the continental option, cereals and toast, so I had a less harrowing dining experience. We were both amused by the toaster on the buffet, which instructed us that we must absolutely not send our pale toast through the toaster more than once to achieve the tanned level that we desired. Other points to note, the staff that were milling about weren't doing anything, there was a doorman with nothing to do. One of them could have got a ladder and cleaned the windows over the revolving door that had a large sheet of bird poo dripping down it obscuring the view. And for the guy in the costa coffee place, your time would have been better spent cleaning the crockery, our tea pot had coffee grounds in it. Visit if you must for business, but if you are there for pleasure, you can do better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rion

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate your comments and are disappointed that your experience was not as you would have expected. We are looking into this and can assure you this will be addressed by the Food and Beverage Manager and Front of House Manager

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here friday 8th february for 1 night and really loved it. Lovely reception, friendly staff, easy parking which was free and we were not expecting that, fantastic room, use of leisure facilities was fab although swimming pool was on the cold side, and the breakfast was superb, something for everybody, in fact so much to choose from I didn't know where to start.
We chose to stay here as we were going to London the following day to watch a football game so was ideal for location, as we got train to London and taxi to station only 10 mins away.
We are now looking at other Hilton hotels for another night away. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed only one night as part of a theatre weekend package.As soon as we entered the hotel there was a warm welcome from the staff and that continued through out our stay.The room and the public areas were kept to a very high standard!Our evening meal and breakfast were outstanding.Although the location was by a busy road this did not interfere with our sleep as the rooms were lovely and quiet and the beds very comfortable .This hotel certainly made our theatre weekend a great success and would like to repeat the experience!

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed February 6, 2013

lots of excellent features to recommend this hotel for a visit to the Reading Football ground.

Underground parking which is complimentary to guests and with purchases at the bar

Walking distance to the Stadium, which is visible from the hotel

Excellent breakfast, the best buffet selection I've seen in a long time, including made to order omelettes

Comfortable room, with all the amenities needed for a short weekend away, complimentary water, tea and coffee making.

I got early check in, as a Hilton Honours member

Cheap local bus service every 30 minutes from outside the hotel, only £1 to town for an evening out. Taxi back cost £8. Loads of pubs and eating places in town.

Bar food and drinks reasonable price in the hotel

Minor complaint about the light pollution in the room!! If you are irritated by neon lights on TVs and A/C units you may be disappointed. The TV has the time running along on a continuous loop while on stand by overnight, who needs this? There was also a very irritating green flashing light on the back which was reminiscent of an American Motel flashing light. Can you tell it kept me awake?

I thoroughly recommend this hotel for a short visit around the area, Windsor not too far away down the M4

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Aimee ash