Hilton Reading
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel is situated on a business park, some distance from the city centre. It is convenient for drivers, attending a conference as I was, but inevitably it has little character to recommend it. First impressions were not particularly good. From the underground car park the reception was poorly signposted and the lift was out of order. Having checked in, the room card key didn't work and even after a trip back to reception the very helpful young man who returned with me clutching an electronic hand-held device could not activate the clock in the door for another 30 minutes.

Service was a real positive in all areas of the hotel from reception through to the breakfast staff. Staff are mostly young and from beyond the UK but are cheerful, attentive and obliging. The room was a good size, clean and with modern furnishings including a comfortable bed, effective air-conditioning and a well-appointed bathroom. Wi Fi was advertised but not working in my room. On request it appeared that after a complimentary 60 minutes this would cost an extra £6 an hour which given the fact that this hotel is aimed at a business clientele is nothing short of scandalous.

Far and away the worst aspect of my stay here though was the catering. Our final dinner epitomised its 'style over substance' approach. Uniformed staff were on hand to assist us in unfurling our napkins or moving our dessert cutlery from one position to another (is there really somebody who actually likes this kind of nonsense?) but the food was absolutely tasteless: a tian of overcooked vegetables on a slice of industrial-quality mozzarella which seemed unlikely ever to have encountered a cow, let alone a buffalo; 3 circles of flavourless and texture-less pap which claimed to be blade of beef; over-sugared, overcooked fruit in a crumble; standard plonk (£4 a bottle at the supermarket?) retailing at £22. I can't believe that anyone spending their own money would ever eat here by choice more than once.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Helen_Dashper, PA to Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your comments about the Hotel and the team are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

I am disappointed to read that the food you received in our food and beverage outlets was not as to be expected. I can assure you your comments have been taken on board and I have raised these with our Food & Beverage Management Team to ensure this is addressed immediately.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us

We thank you for choosing the Hilton Reading, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact me.
Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,917)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

After reading some previous reviews that weren't that complimentary I am glad I didn't use them to influence my choice of hotel. From the moment I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by a very friendly member of staff at reception, check in was very quick and effortless and within a few minutes I was relaxing in my room.

Iade full use of the excellent lesuire facilities, just the job after a long journey. My room overlooked the busy road but I had no noise issues at all and had a perfect night sleep.

The breakfast in the morning was lovely with plenty of good selection and the most amazing orange juice!

On checking out I was again looked after by the same lady who checked me in, she was friendly and efficient. All in all I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone, I will definately be coming back again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Helen_Dashper, Pa to Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted that you found our leisure facilities, breakfast and overall service good, and that you had such an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stumbled across this new hotel off Rose Kiln Lane in Reading while driving and needed a break so walked in and asked for a room. My immediate impression was good with a swanky, bright ultra-modern reception & foyer.
Despite being a Hilton Honours gold card holder I was informed quite sternly that I "could only be accepted into the hotel on production of an acceptable photo ID". It is not a requirement to carry this yet in UK and I explained this to the young girl on reception. Her reply was "then it is policy that you can not stay here". I asked to see the manager and she hesitated for a minute and replied "seeing as you are known to us we will make an exception on this occcasion and you can stay".
Once I had overcome the barrier to get in I found a nice, comfortable room with an excellent entertainment system, ultra-clean and quiet.
I received dinner in the bar ordering a burger with side salad which was served with really excellent presentation skills. I felt that I must be in a 2 star Michelin restaurant but then came the second dissapointment. The food wast tasteless. Even the tomatoes were bland and looked like they were the cheapest available from the supermarket. The chips were luke warm and the salt cellar on the table was blocked due to condensation so I could not add and flavour.

For £115 per night, this p[lace has a lot of potential and I will give the management the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it is still early days organisationally or they were just having a bad day.

1  Thank Bertybign
Helen_Dashper, PA to the Operations Director at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to apologise for the shortfall in service relating to your interactions with my front desk team regarding your Hilton Hhonors / ID difficulties. I have raised your concerns with the Front of House Manager who will address this with his team immediately.

I am disappointed that you found the food in Bar below the standard expected and this has been raised with our Food and Beverage Manager to be addressed for the future.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had an early appointment at the close by Circle Hospital, Reading. Check in good and we upgraded to a Superior room for £15. We thought the nroom and all the facilities therein were very good but only to be expected as hotel is new.

I used the swimming pool and the attendant was helpful but I thought the standard of cleanliness in the changing room was far below that of a first class gym/swimming pool, such as a Bannatynne Fitness Centre. I have to say I was disappointed with the overall experience in the Fitness Centre.

We booked for dinner but when we arrived there was no-one at the desk of the restaurant. So we ordered a drink and told the Maitre D of our arrival on his return. We had booked DBB and we were given the set menu that included a glass of wine. When we ordered this menue we were told that we could not have the glass of wine as our our was £21 each against the menu price of £25. Ordered an over-priced bottle of white wine which was only just chilled. The service was slow (only 2 other couples in restaurant) and not good, I blame the Maitre D.

Good nights sleep.

Breakfast was excellent, female maitre D rushed to the desk as soon as we arrived and seated us quickly and without fuss, proceeded to take tea and coffe order and provide orange juice. She then informed us where everything was and we had an enjoyable breakfast.

Just goes to show that a good manager is everything, personally I would sack the Sunday night Maitre D.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Helen_Dashper, PA to Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate your comments and are disappointed that your dining experience was not as you would have expected. We are looking into this and can assure you this will be addressed by the Food and Beverage Manager.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Walked to Madjewski to watch the rugger; Taxi into town later for a drink & meal Did not use any hotel facilities other than the bar so cannot really comment; Noticed the price on the bottled water in the room before nearly opening phew!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Helen_Dashper, PA to Operations Director at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed for 5 days during a business trip. The hotel is very comfortable, big room with very comfortable bed after a busy day at the office. The work desk at the room was very useful. I had a small confusion with the internet payment, and the representative at the reception solved it in less then 5 minutes.
The hotel itself is a bit far from the city center and require you to use a taxi (I couldn't find a bus that gets there) or a car service.
The breakfast was very good, but the staff had a difficult time to keep up with the large amount of people in the dinning room.
All in all, high quality hotel.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room facing the hotel entrance as it's not facing the main road and is very quit.

Dear Reviewer,

The hotels location on the Kennet Island development, off Junction 11 of the M4 and 5 minutes in a cab from Reading Town centre, is an ideal base for many of the local amenities.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed here for two days over Reading Festival (£7/10 min cab ride)

Clean, comfortable and good location. I feel sorry for non Reading Festival visitors as it really is taken over!

Breakfast is pretty good.

Room Tip: Dont stay over Reading Festival Weekend in August unless you are going!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Helen_Dashper, Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience the Reading Festival Weekend. The festival is heavily advertised and has grown in popularity over the years to become one of the best festivals in the UK currently and it brings guests from all over the world and country to see stay in the area. Given the volume of guests arriving for the festival, all hotels in the Reading area and for miles around are full of festival goers during the event, which gives a great boost to local tourism and the town itself.