“Perhaps too popular” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Cunning Man
Ranked #333 of 610 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Cunning Man in Burghfield Bridge is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Andover, Hampshire, UK
“Perhaps too popular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had to book a table, presumably because the pub is so popular. It has great charm, friendly staff and modern facilities
Sadly there was a lack of choice; several tiems being sold out including bottled water . A great pity
Lack of choice in food and drinks

Visited October 2013

Reading, United Kingdom
“Great place to visit especially in summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have visited here several times, both with the children but also with just adults and never been disappointed. The key selling point in sumner is the outside area allowing you to eat and drink in the sun just on the side ops the canal. Food served inside and out but you do need to chase and prompt at busy times. The specials and snacks offer great value for money. Indoors is often busy so I would suggest reservation. Car park is large so no issues there. I have never been disappointed and a great place to meet and eat. Lovely country pub for all times but best in my view in summer. I have read some reviews about service at busy times and although I concur I think if you chase a little then they try to help, after all it's not a fast food cafe.

• Visited June 2013
Swindon, England
“Oh dear, what a shame!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Visited here with my partner, on a Saturday evening, for a meal with 8 friends. We all arrived to find that, apparently, there had been a fire in the cellar and there were very few soft drinks (being the sceptic I am, and having heard excuses before from this place, I couldn't help believing that they have a book of them from which they choose the appropriate one to cover up any problem they have!) Anyway, we were seated and chose our starters and mains. These took some time to arrive but, all in all, not too long a wait. I had ordered the beer battered mushrooms and my partner the prawn cocktail. I think they must have run out of beer (either that or the 'chef' chose the worng packet from the freezer) as I couldn't taste any beer at all in the 5 mushrooms I had sitting on a lettuce leaf. Ay £3.45 I also didn't think this was particularly good value. My partners prawn cocktail arrived on the ubiquitous lettuce leaf on a plate which was ok but a little better presentation (maybe in a glass?) would have been nice.

Mains were ok generally but my battered cod was more batter than cod. The sea bream special looked ok as did the sea bass. Some of us had to make a start on our food, to avoid it going cold, whilst others awaited their choice. It seems the slow service that this restaurant is becoming renowned for, is still a problem. Desserts were ok - a decent selection with an option for a drink with a miniature version of dessert.

then we get to the comical bit. We all ordered various coffee's ranging from cappucino's to flat white's. The poor waitress was beside herself when trying to sort these out - various forms of coffee arrived and were sent away as they were wrong only to arrive back being called a different name -for example, 3 Americano's arrived only to be taken away and return (nothing was different) being called 'flat white's'! Staff training is obviously lacking but our waitress did her best in difficult circumstances.

What is so sad about this place is that it's stunning building (olde worlde country pub look) and it's location (by the canal) should mean that the place is a gold mine. The food is average and the service generally slow - perhaps the owners should consider some of the criticisms on here and take on board the consistent views? Having said that, the place was very busy, so perhaps they don't care anyway?

The bill averaged £22 a head for all 10 of us (including some drinks and a tip for the poor waitress).

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank johnwiltshire
Reading, United Kingdom
“2nd visit - this time an evening experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

After a disappointing lunchtime experience I visited with a group of a friends for an evening meal. Fortunately the place wasnt busy so managed to get served at bar quickly. Only gripe is it took some time to take our food order when seated but the food was nice if nothing special. However as location is good we chose to book our Xmas meal there & the manageress was very good about taking our booking there & then. So an improvement & hopefully one that will continue on my next visit in December.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank SpencerHorne
“Mid week service lets it down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Arrived and shown a seat - as a single diner (mid week work!) they kindly put me in a quiet corner...unfortunately next to the service area.
Ordered item to be told not on menu then waiter went off to have discussion in view of me about other staff not doing job properly. I commented on this so they knew I could hear thinking they would stop...button they took it outside...leaving door open an cold draught- great!
Ordered alternative item (chicken and chips) - got offered the gourmet chips but when dinner materialised they were not to be seen. Resolved I accepted the inevitable fate and asked for some sauce and vinegar. They brought me a tray of sauces but as can be seen in picture the ketchup was empty and pot covered in sauce. Took ages then to get a waiter to acknowledge me for replacement to see him just wipe it with a cloth and stick more in.
Food overall was very average £11 for chicken supposedly with glaze but couldn't taste any. Very bland but acceptable.
Service quite frankly is shocking...and to top it all they even argued when the bill arrived on the extra cost of the chips that never arrived!

• Visited September 2013