All reviews half price champagne blenheim palace road noise eggs benedict by the glass superb food for sunday lunch pork belly top floor spacious room bath and shower lovely hotel staff were attentive great room log fire cooked to perfection stayed one night
Reviewed September 11, 2018

The hotel is well located for easy access to the Outlet village. Parking is plentiful and staff friendly. Food is good basic stuff with a reasonable wine list.
But the hotel is neglected. It needs updating and decorating urgently to justify the relatively high price. Our bedroom had far too many faults. It faced the square which is noisy. The windows had no double glazing. Curtains were poor and light flooded into the room 24 hours. The dressing table stool has torn material. A dead bulb in overhead lighting. TV sits on the dressing table in front of half the mirrors! It would take so little time and money to make this a comfortable room.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bobbayley
Luke H, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

HI Bobbayley
I'm sorry to hear you were left disappointed with your stay.
There are plans afoot to invest heavily in the hotel. I shall be checking your room, as none of the TVs should be obstructing mirrors and are on adjustable wall mounted stands to avoid such an occurrence, or no furniture should be in a room if damaged, that will be corrected right away.
Secondary glazing is part of the long term plans as Woodstock is a lovely lively town and that would benefit our guests tremendously. There are a number of yellow posters in windows regarding planning permission application for improvements such as this.
There is no excuse for a dead bulb, and I shall ensure my team are checking them more regularly.
Bicester outlet village is a short distance away from Woodstock and only one of many reasons to visit us, with Blenheim Palace gates on the same street.

Reviewed September 3, 2018

I have stayed at this hotel several times and until recently have always enjoyed my stay. Lately however, the hotel appears down at heel. I was told this is because the hotel is due for refurbishment. In my view though that does not excuse a really dirty stair carpet from reception to the rooms not the lack of cleaning on a Sunday. I arrived on a Sunday evening with guests from abroad and was very embarrassed by the state of the public areas. The rooms are ok but lack the charm they once had. The restaurant similarly is ok but service could be better. Staff are in the main well-meaning but they lack experience and training. There is nothing major wrong with the service and the things that are are too minor to complain about. However overall things in the hotel are not as they were and lately (on my last two stays) have been unsatisfactory. A great pity.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aston_9
Luke H, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Aston,
I am very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay. The carpets are deep cleaned quarterly, but are due to be replaced shortly. There are plans to make some improvements to the rooms, as we haven't changed anything since we took over and they are due a freshen up.

I spend a great deal of time with my staff, but I shall share this review with them and see what they would like more time focused on so we can improve the service for your next visit.

Reviewed August 23, 2018

Only just 'very good' due to location, ambiance and food quality.
Rooms are small, bathrooms cramped, with bath and shower difficult to access. First impression counts for a lot and the stair way and carpet are shabby (not chic!). Expensive Dyson fans are a concession to a long hot summer that must have generated complaints, as even now the rooms are stuffy and noisy on the main road frontage.
I also found the service at dinner haphazard from inexperienced staff, who were pretty clueless at breakfast. Despite this something good was going on in the kitchen especially for the evening meal which was excellent: less excellent was the cheap toasted bread at breakfast, for which, these days, there is really no excuse.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank malcsaville
Luke H, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2018

Hi Malcsaville,

We are a lovely Georgian townhouse, as a result all our rooms are different shapes and sizes. We are adjusting our online tariffs to make it clearer to the guest which size of room they are booking as at present there is too much variety under one style of room. The carpet is due to be replaced in the near future as it has had its day and although deep cleaned recently it is showing its age. As a south facing building we do attract the sun for a large portion of the day and pre summer invested heavily in the Dyson air fans that do a great job of circulating air.

I'd love to hear more regarding the issues you found at breakfast & dinner as I have a great and professional team here, but something was clearly amiss during your stay and generally I get great feedback on the lovely group of people I have here. Don't hesitate to contact me at kingsarms.manager@fullers.co.uk to give me greater insight.
We use an artisan bread company for our bread to whom I will be returning with your comments as I feel the quality could also improve there.

Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

To start on a positive note.
Room amenities good - plenty of toiletries and Nespresso machine, but room small, shower poor and room generally tired.
Entrance grubby and carpet filthy- if I'd walked in off the street to book I'd have turned round and walked back out.
Pleasant bar, but no 'lounge area', restaurant food good, but service haphazard, and provided by slightly pretentious, superior 'School Boys'
Breakfast excellent, superb quality, but again spoiled by haphazard service.
Not worthy of more than 6.5/10, when 1 night's bill fir DB&B totalled £275 Inc drinks (£60) for 2.

e

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arte1
Luke H, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Hi Arte1,
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay as much as we would have liked. Some areas of the building are beginning to show their age, with a refurbishment planned in the new year, it is something we have identified. Although this doesn't mean we allow the place to get grubby and I shall be looking at the areas mentioned.

We have a big bar area with large open tables as well as spots to hide in! But no 'lounge' as such.

I shall be investigating the service level as it is something we pride on, but clearly something has happened during your visit that we need to address. I have a wonderful group of staff here, from hospitality career professionals, school goers, university students and working parents, it is a great mix that get on fantastically well and I can only apologise that one of my young lads have come across as pretentious, as they all work hard, willing to get their hands dirty when needed and first and foremost, care about the guest experience.

Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

A gathering of family members from around the country for lunch.

Pre booked the table and the food as there was lots of us. Table was well prepared and the staff very attentive and helpful.

Food was just OK - nothing to write home about.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Deborah L, Front Office Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Hi Ian,

many thanks for your honest review.

So pleased to know that you received the standard of service we expect from our staff.

We have an excellent team whose ethos is that the customer/guest is at the centre of all we do.

I am saddened that our food did not hit the mark, we do aim to produce well cooked, seasonal flavoursome food

Since our menus change regularly, I recommend that you visit us again at a later date when hopefully, our fayre might be more of a 'hit' with your family.