“Consistently good food and service”

Duke of Marlborough
Ranked #12 of 35 Restaurants in Woodstock
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Well priced food, and a nice friendly service.
General pub food but always well cooked, no surprises here just consistently good.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Normally when I take my wife out for a meal on our Wedding Anniversary I do my homework to find somewhere nice, I will book a table and I will have a good idea about the sort of food on offer. So when we set off along the A44 from Chipping Norton without all of this planning, I was taking a risk compared to what we would usually do.

We chanced upon the Duke of Marlborough, noting that by 7.30 the car park was already quite full: unless they hgad a wedding reception on, this was probably a good sign. Fortunately, there was still room to park, and inside, a choice of tables and so we could be accommodated. Service was quite quick and we both chose the slow cooked lamb shank. What a good choice that was! Succulent meat, beautifully cooked vegetables and plenteous portions. The creamed potatos with cheese and leaks was particularly good.

Just as we were about to leave, a man arrived with a guitar and took a seat in the bar area just behind us. As he generally messed around tuning his instrument, it was obvious that he had talent, so we asked the proprieter: yes he was regular part of the Friday evening entertainment. We decided to stick around a little longer to see what transpired. And we were glad that we did. The atmosphere that he and his partner (she always sung with her eyes closed!) created in that bar was unique. There were about 30 of us all singing along to sea shanties/folk songs (the words of which I somehow dragged up from the distant past somewhere), and there was a spirit of 'bonhomie' that I have not experienced outside of a Church (we belong to a fairly non-traditional Church family) for as long as I can remember.

So we had set out to have a nice meal. The Duke of Marlborough ticked that box, and without breaking the bank. We had set out to celebrate something. The Duke of Marlborough ticked that box, too, though not in any planned way. We left haveing had a real treat, and one of the most enjoyable wedding-anniversary meal evenings for a long time. We loved this place and would definitely go there again (on a Friday night especially) if we were in the area.

Maybe I should be a little more spontanious in the future?

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Duke of Marlborough offers an alternative to the congested and tourist-ridden pubs of central Woodstock where I had researched without success for a wheelchair friendly venue; this is about a mile North on the A44. Excellent food at fair prices. We had scampi and a very nice vegetarian stuffed pepper, with sumptuous deserts. Friendly staff. Easy car parking and step free access (no disabled toilet but apparently this is being planned). Unpretentious surroundings with nice welcoming fire. Jug of coffee was rather weak and I couldn’t get the wi-fi to work (someone else did so may have been my own fault).

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We visited the Duke of Marlborough last night and it was fantastic. It was busy for a Monday night in January. The pub is traditional and perfectly presented with a lovely real fire, it felt warm and homely. We received a very warm welcome and great service throughout the evening. There was a great choice of ales and wines. The food was delicious, very well presented and it was great value. It could not have been better. As the previous reviewer mentioned there is an excellent choice for anyone who is gluten free which is a big bonus.

1  Thank blenheimedge
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stopped here on a Saturday afternoon for lunch on the way back from Heathrow. The B team must have been on duty. The two women were not particullary welcoming just going through the motions. Pub is not as homely on the inside as it looks on the outside. The soup was homemade and very good. The ravioli was a shame because the mushroom filling was excellent and the sauce was excellent but they managed to turn the pasta into rubber. Charging top whack for a glass of wine on draught is a bit cheeky.

So if you need a quick meal stop by but if you want a dining experience go elsewhere.

1  Thank lunel_celt