“Lovely stay”

Ranked #4 of 13 Woodstock B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We only stayed for one night and I was sceptical with regards to noise as this is an old building (squeaky floorboards anyone) but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms have a simple interior but the bed is so wonderfully comfortable. I didn't hear a thing from other rooms or the hall.
There was a delay at breakfast but they did apologise and I must say that was a very yummy breakfast we got. I would go back any time. Lovely place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have to start by saying that the rooms are great, sparkling clean, warm and with all the facilities. However, what we didn't know was that to access all of the bedrooms, the access was outside via an uncovered stone staircase with a poorly painted handrail. One of our party had mobility problems and in the rain this was a problem.
In the local guide it states the restaurant serves until 19.00 but in reality the last food order is at 16.30, too early in my opinion for an evening meal.
On the first morning breakfast was served in a very cold dining room, but the next day it was warmer. I noticed that my friends were served with just one cup of coffee at breakfast and not asked if they would like more.
Alli in all I don't believe we would stay here again

Room Tip: All rooms are accessed via stairs and due to the age of the building you need to be careful as floor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Westfield
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Buttery was within easy walking distance of the Blenheim Palace grounds. The young
man who checked us in was extremely helpful in providing us with travel information.
Had a very nice quiet room but the lighting could have been better. We arrived around noon and had a little trouble finding parking on the street but later in the day we were able to move our
car closer to the B & B. Great location to the palace, shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The Buttery is situated on the town square close to shops, pubs and the gorgeous Blenheim Palace. The building is 400 years old and was I assume, a dairy. The rooms are small but well appointed. Breakfast was served in the adjoining restaurant and it was very nice.

My window opened to the square and yet it was so quiet. The town feels like it never made it past the nineteenth century and that is a good thing. Woodstock is so charming and the Blenheim Buttery is the perfect spot for the traveler who appreciates history.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Because it was next to where we had parked our car, the Blenheim Buttery was the first restaurant we looked at when visiting Woodstock yesterday lunchtime. My eye was immediately drawn to the menu listing home-made bubble and squeak with eggs and bacon. However, we then walked all around the village for about 15 minutes, looking at every eating place, before being drawn back to the Blenheim Buttery. Having sat down, I decided in the end to have the Parsnip soup followed by the herb-crusted fillet of cod with chantenay carrots, baby broad beans and la ratte potatoes. My wife had the leek quiche. The restaurant was pretty full but we had a lovely bay-window seat.
The soup was very good, although we did have a slight problem with the combined salt and pepper dispenser which poured out unground pepper-corns when up-ended. When it came, the cod was absolutely excellent, one of the best I have had and the vegetables matched the quality. Unfortunately the quiche was slightly overdone/burnt. The only real drawback was the time it took. We had to wait over 20 minutes after the soup for the main course, and this was slightly disappointing. Because we were now running late, we didn't stop for a dessert or coffee.
However the memory of the cod is what I will take away with me. It was worth the wait. Just!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Burgess Hill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Only stayed one night but that one night was lovely - really nice, spotless bedroom, cosy but only complaint is that the lighting was a little dim. There was a decent choice for breakfast and what we ordered was really tasty. Staff were helpful and checked that we had enjoyed our stay when we left. Location, both in relation to Oxford city centre and in Woodstock itself, was good. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Excellent B & B tacked onto a restaurant, right in the heart of Woodstock Village. Recently refurbished which meant a new and comfortable bed in a spotless room However the overall quirkiness of the original surroundings has not been lost. The cooked breakfast was really good. The staff were great. The price was competitive for the local market and the overall quality much higher than some of the local competition.

Only two minor drawbacks The bathroom was very cold in the morning. I did stay on one of the coldest nights of the year however. Breakfast is served from 08.00 which is bit late for some business travel.

I will be making this my first choice for my quarterly visits to woodstock especially when my business is local and I make breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve_Myers_182
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Macdonald Bear Hotel
#1 of 13 in Woodstock
The Glove House
The Glove House
#2 of 13 in Woodstock

Been to The Blenheim Buttery? Share your experiences!