“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Feathers on a Travelzoo package. It was a birthday treat for my wife. Our room was spacious and the staff were all very welcoming and charming.
The restaurant was packed on a Thursday night and we could see why as the food was superb. The service throughout was excellent and unfussy. We had spent the day at Blenheim and it was lovely to relax in such a friendly atmosphere.
The Travelzoo package was very good value, but I shall see if I can use one of the hotel's own offers next time.
This hotel is strongly recommended.

Room Tip: There are suites but our room was fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I contacted this hotel last week, regarding availability on a special offer they advertised on the website.

The reply came back, saying they had a room available, so far, so good. I then emailed again asking for more information on the deal ,and how to book, I waited, and waited, no reply, three days went by and still no reply, does this hotel really want guest to stay, or are they so busy, just can’t be bothered . If this is the case, let’s hope the good days roll, but poor customer service, is not the way forward. and will come back to roost.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Another couple, my wife and I travelled to Woodstock at the weekend to stay at The Feathers. our friends had a voucher for bed, breakfast and evening meal and we tagged along with a package deal for the same at £300.

It may sound a lot but that included a lovely, large double room, eight course dinner with a different, menu matched gin with each course and a very generous breakfast - it was worth every penny and we all had a fantastic time!

Dinner was fabulous and the speciality gins are amazing - even if you don't really like gin there will be one for you or you could also have wine instead.

The only issue we had was at breakfast when they had some mishap in the kitchen led to a lengthy delay and a lost order. We were not the only ones either! That said, there were lots of apologies and when it finally came it was still good. In addition the cold breakfast buffet, cereals and pastry's was excellent.

On a lovely, sunny Sunday we went home via the Daylesford Estate which capped a really special weekend.

The Feathers - Well worth a visit!

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We knew The Feathers had a good reputation but it was excellent in every area. Great team under Pete's enthusiastic approach to service and hospitality. We had a great room, delicious dinner, enhanced by a dry Martini - a signature of the Gin Bar! Breakfast was outstanding as well.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back would be quieter
1 Thank Tessa C
Northamptonshire
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here on Tuesday 20th August, and arrived around 15:30. The receptionist was perfect, a charming young lady with the right attitude to her job. Our room was large and spacious with a more then adequate bathroom. After an hour we tried their gin bar, which sold an amazing variation of gins which we tried, only one each by the way! We also tried to us a new variation of tonic, Mediterranean, not sure if I'm allowed to mention the actual make so I'll just use the initials, FT. The evening meal was good, very flavoursome, looked good and nicely served. We tried the house red wine which was also satisfactory. The staff were perfect, charming and helpful. In the morning we both had the full English Breakfast which like the evening meal was good. I think the best way to describe the hotel is this way, imagine you have a favourite Nan, who when younger was a beautiful lady, a bit quirky, and fun to be with, as the years went by she started to become slightly tired but still quirky and fun, that's how I see this hotel. The drinks are slightly expensive as was the evening meal relative to what you get but nonetheless still worth buying. Would I go back?
Without hesitation yes we would, if you want to stay in a quirky British Hotel in a lovely part of the world and not pay through the nose this would suit the bill, we had the Boutique Escape Deal which made the whole experience affordable.

Room Tip: Look for deals our room was good
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pitstop007
Winchester
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just got back from a one night stay at The Feathers after having bagged a bargain deal on Travel Republic. We were slightly apprehensive after having read the reviews that the staff weren't particularly welcoming on trip advisor, but the reality couldn't have been more different. The receptionist and manager were so welcoming and friendly, offering to take our bags when we walked in. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a superior room which had a real wow factor. The bed was huge and really comfy. We didn't eat at the restaurant but ate at the Star Inn (also highly recommend!) but went back at the end of the night to sample a few gins from the infamous gin bar (the largest collection in the Guiness Book of Records I should add!). The gins are rather overpriced to say the least but we had great fun choosing and sampling them (being slightly hungover helped to soften the blow of seeing the bill the next day!). The breakfast was delicious but the service was slow and we had to wait 35 mins for our "Feathers Full English". It was worth the wait as we had plenty of other items to sample while we waited, but frustrating to have to ask for butter twice, by which time out toast was stone cold so we had to order more. The man in charge of breakfast was very polite and friendly but a couple of the other waiting staff in there let the team down. The only other downside was how hot the rooms were. We were right on the top floor and it was unbareably hot in the night which kept me awake for 2 hours. I only discovered the fan in the wardrobe the next morning which was frustrating. The rooms really should have air conditioning for the price. That said, we had an AMAZING stay and would love to return. A special thank you should go to Jessica who was very accommodating when we thought we may have to cancel when we thought our son was ill. All in all a fabulous hotel in a beautiful Cotswold town!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Daniell
PeterSaundersPS, Manager at Feathers Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thanks for your 5 star review, sorry that the fan in the wardrobe wasn't pointed out to you on check-in, we have been making a point of this with the warmer nights we have had at present; the receptionist must have forgotten. I have spoken to my breakfast supervisor and breakfast chef to ensure delays such as that do not happen in the future.
Northampton
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at The Feathers for two nights as we had a wedding nearby. It is quirky, beautifully decorated and clean. It also has a super location in the very heart of Woodstock. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and we had a very pleasant couple of days. The breakfast was good and we enjoyed supper in the restaurant one evening. There was plenty to choose from including well-priced classic dishes (pasta, burger, fish and chips etc) as well as more expensive and sophisticated offerings. However, my overall impression of the hotel was that it is overpriced. The nightly room rate for a standard room is £180 including breakfast. While the room was nicely decorated and had a lovely high ceiling with exposed beams and A-frame, the pillows were hard and lumpy, as was the duvet. Obviously, cheap synthetic fillings that were well past their use-by date. Our friends said the bedding situation was the same in their room. I appreciate Woodstock is a smart little place but I expected something a more spoiling for that kind of money. Likewise, the only full-length mirror was on the inside door of the wardrobe. However, you couldn't open the door fully because the luggage stand was in the way, and an armchair was positioned where you'd stand. A little more thought and care would have made a big difference to my impression.

While the room and bathroom was rather compact, I must admit that the shower was first rate with good pressure and there was no shortage of shampoo, shower gel and, hooray, conditioner. (So fed up am I with hotels not providing this that I always bring my own but it was great to bring mine home unused!)

From walking around Woodstock, I spied other smartish small hotels. While we had a perfectly nice time, if we ever find ourselves needing a bed in Woodstock again I think I might see how the competition compares.

1 Thank MackC
I have very mixed feelings about this review, I am of course very happy to read my staff looked after you well and that you had a relaxing time at The Feathers, but a little upset you only scored us three and the title of the review. Do not think that I'm trying to brush off your comments regarding the pillows because I do understand the major part of a night away in a hotel is a restful nights sleep. We use microfibre antibacterial pillows in all our rooms, it does state in welcome packs to ask reception for more pillows if you need them. I even stock some goose feather pillows too. If there is only one piece of advice I can give all customers it would be, Please tell us during your stay if your not happy with something or want something different. We all strive to meet guests requests, but I can not do anything about it if we don't know. and its a little too late informing us once your home.

I do hope this guests returns and I do hope I do not come across as rude or arrogant because that would be my last intention
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Macdonald Bear Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
Macdonald Randolph Hotel
De Vere Oxford Thames
Malmaison Oxford Castle

Been to Feathers Hotel? Share your experiences!