“Lovely hotel, attention to detail requirement”
Review of Feathers Hotel

Feathers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We have a lovely time - we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We selected our room a month before the visit by having a tour of the hotel and selected the room we liked, this was nice to be able to do. We participated in the Gin Challenge, I researched lots of rare gins and selected one online I found which was not on their list published on their web site but unfortunately when we arrived the 'Portabello Road 171" was on their list in the bar, its a shame they don't keep the lists up to date across the web site then i could have chosen one with a chance if winning! The gin bar is very impressive and the bar staff were very knowledgable about all the gins. At up to £11 a shot though we stuck to beer n £32 bottle of presecco instead to celebrate! There was a big problem getting onto their free wifi internet connection throughout the hotel, even asking staff to perhaps try rebooting system (which they kindly did) the only place to get online was to sit in one place as directed by a member of staff. I could get no internet in my room (28 on top floor) so if your travelling expecting good wifi connection do check they have this sorted if you need for business etc because if I was travelling there having to check emails etc for work i would have been quite annoyed. Service was excellent, could not complain at all about that - very attentive and friendly at all times. Breakfast was nice, although if we arrived later say after 10am, we heard waiter telling other tables buffet food had run out of lots of things - I would have been upset if it was me. Get down early to be safe! Lovely freshly squeezed OJ! Overall though we had a great visit, sort out internet soon and update your gin list and we will come back to try gin challenge again!

• Stayed: August 2013
PeterSaundersPS, Manager at Feathers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay to celebrate your wedding anniversary. All of our 21 bedrooms are decorated differently some people have there favourites which they like to return to time after time, others like to have a different room each time. we always try our up most to ensure guests get a room they like.

I will not lie our Wi-Fi was rubbish a constant headache for guest and staff alike, but I'm please to inform everyone that our new network has been fitted and we now have 100% Wi-Fi coverage with an excellent band width.

We do try to keep our gin list up to date but sadly it does fall behind from time to time. The guest was forwarded the T&Cs of our gin challenge, where we ask to be informed of the gin ahead of them arriving so we can double check if we stock it. This guest chose to take his chances and sadly it didn't work out for him.

if you think you can find us a new gin, have a go at the gin challenge yourself.

There are newer reviews for Feathers Hotel

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived at the hotel after a long hot day on the road to a warm welcome from the friendly receptionist who showed us to our comfortable well appointed room across the court yard. After settling in we returned to the main hotel to have a gin and tonic in what must be one of the best stocked gin bars in the world.

Later we were joined by other members of our family who were equally blown away by their room and the unique style of the building.

We had booked dinner in the restaurant. Menus were brought and we were taken through the options by a young but highly professional guy, who we later discovered was the hotel manager.

The meal was wonderful - food and wine were served in a relaxed and informal way by a well organised team. The restaurant was busy and our party of 7 took our time - but at no time were we rushed to finish.

In the morning we gathered at our leisure for breakfast, The team were once again polite and professional. The buffet was excellent and varied, yogurt and fresh berries and freshly squeezed orange juice not concentrated!! We all had various cooked breakfasts - all of which were freshly prepared - extra tea/ coffee and toast were supplied on request without question.

Check out was painless even though we asked to split our collective dinner and bar bills.

All in all a great and enjoyable night at a very individual hotel - run by a very professional young manager and his team. Well done Feathers we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. My team have done me proud and thank you for your kind comments about myself. We pride ourselves on delivering on all aspects of a guests stay and I am pleased to read we have hit the mark. I do hope you have the opportunity to return soon, it was a pleasure to look after you all.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have visited Feathers Hotel few months ago and I love it so much that cannot wait to go back when I am back in Europe. This hotel is the nicest and welcoming place with lovely rooms and food in Woodstock. Located in central Woodstock (lovely place) and within few minutes walking distance to the Blenheim Palace :). Great place to chill at their GIN BAR. Henderson cucumber gin and dining in their lovely cosy restaurant is a must when you stay there! We had a beautiful suite with a balcony overlooking the gardens which was lovely. The food is very tasty, their chocolate dessert is an art on plate - beautiful! The staff is very friendly and we have been offered a coffee by a receptionist on arrival - nice touch! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I think all their rooms are lovely but if you can get the suite!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
PeterSaundersPS, Manager at Feathers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

It's amazing to get a review all the way from New Zealand. Thanks. Super to read what a nice time you had and hope it's not too long until you are back in Europe to visit again.
Please email me if you know of any good New Zealand gins we don't have. Many Thanks

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here mid week after receiving an email offer from pride of Britain. What a great little hotel! In the heart of Woodstock, a very warm welcome, an enormous collection of Gins to try, we ate a fantastic three course dinner with a bottle of wine which won't break the bank, the service was very friendly and attentive. Our room was clean, and well appointed. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hi Mark.

It's good to hear you enjoyed your stay and meal, hope to see you again soon. We've got another special offer coming out soon for Autumn.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Got a very good deal including suite and discounted meal so value for money was excellent. Read some negative reviews about staff in particular, but we found it to be the exact opposite - they were friendly and personable. Restaurant food was decent without being outstanding, but the gin bar is a nice touch and something you don't find elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review. Glad to hear you had a fab time in our Gin bar.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

A surprise stay for my girlfriends Birthday, on arrival we had to wait and listen to a conversation regarding where a new staff member was staying and was totally ignored for just over ten minutes, when we where attended to there was some confusion about the room I booked, anyway we got there and was taken to suite 5, which was lovely I must say and my girlfriend loved it, especially the use of Temple Spa products, after settling in we popped downstairs for afternoon tea, we were going to have the mixed platter, but were told that it was not available and we were not impressed by the manor this particular member of staff had, he was quite abrupt and unhelpful, the afternoon tea was okay, not exactly what was quoted on the web-site and a little pricey at £16.50 each, after this we explored the lovely village, which itself is worth the visit, we then eat in the restaurant in the evening, which was outstanding the food was very good, especially the starter of lobster ravioli, we also had the Dexter beef to share and that was also very good, the staff were very attentive and polite, a contrast to the afternoon tea, we had a good nights sleep in a lovely large comfy bed and came down for breakfast about 09.45 the breakfast selection was great, we had fresh fruit, a nice yoghurt with compote and then the full English, which was indeed very good, here again the staff were really helpful and polite and nothing was to much trouble, after booking the hotel, I then looked it up on this site, (unusual for me to not look for reviews first) anyway I was mortified by the latest comment and thought what have I done, but on reflection I was so glad I did, I would certainly return to the hotel and I can also recommend it to future guests, my girlfriend has an event planning business and she will aslo recommend to clients when she is planning in and around the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tonytony1958
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Wonderful, as always! We stayed here on several occasions, given its easy access to Heathrow.
Woodstock is a charming town, with lots to see in and around town.
The hotel is well managed and very charming!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Macdonald Bear Hotel
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell
De Vere Oxford Thames

Been to Feathers Hotel? Share your experiences!