“A lovely hotel, that with a little tweek here and there would be perfect”
Review of Feathers Hotel

Feathers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed July 24, 2013

A surprise stay for my girlfriends Birthday, on arrival we had to wait and listen to a conversation regarding where a new staff member was staying and was totally ignored for just over ten minutes, when we where attended to there was some confusion about the room I booked, anyway we got there and was taken to suite 5, which was lovely I must say and my girlfriend loved it, especially the use of Temple Spa products, after settling in we popped downstairs for afternoon tea, we were going to have the mixed platter, but were told that it was not available and we were not impressed by the manor this particular member of staff had, he was quite abrupt and unhelpful, the afternoon tea was okay, not exactly what was quoted on the web-site and a little pricey at £16.50 each, after this we explored the lovely village, which itself is worth the visit, we then eat in the restaurant in the evening, which was outstanding the food was very good, especially the starter of lobster ravioli, we also had the Dexter beef to share and that was also very good, the staff were very attentive and polite, a contrast to the afternoon tea, we had a good nights sleep in a lovely large comfy bed and came down for breakfast about 09.45 the breakfast selection was great, we had fresh fruit, a nice yoghurt with compote and then the full English, which was indeed very good, here again the staff were really helpful and polite and nothing was to much trouble, after booking the hotel, I then looked it up on this site, (unusual for me to not look for reviews first) anyway I was mortified by the latest comment and thought what have I done, but on reflection I was so glad I did, I would certainly return to the hotel and I can also recommend it to future guests, my girlfriend has an event planning business and she will aslo recommend to clients when she is planning in and around the area.

1  Thank tonytony1958

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Wonderful, as always! We stayed here on several occasions, given its easy access to Heathrow.
Woodstock is a charming town, with lots to see in and around town.
The hotel is well managed and very charming!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked this hotel through Travel Zoo for my girlfriend and I for an overnight stay. We were initially wary due to the poor reviews on Trip Advisor but decided to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt. The Feathers was chosen over other hotels purely due to the quality of choice on the menu.The deal I purchased included a three course dinner, bed and breakfast.

I received a telephone call at 1330 on the day of our arrival from the Feathers informing me that the restaurant was closed. By this time I was already in Woodstock. I spoke to the manager, and we reached a suitable arrangement after some negotiation.

Breakfast was appalling. We arrived at 0950. Breakfast is served from 0700-1000. The waitress reluctantly seated us after telling us that we had missed breakfast. The table was dirty from the last occupant. The hotel had run out of brown bread and black pudding. The eggs benedict we ordered was served with a raw muffin and pancetta. The bacon on the full english was incredibly fatty. When I asked for Worcestershire Sauce, I received a pot of horseradish... In the end we just gave up.

The surroundings and the decor of this hotel are very nice. The room was well presented and the gin bar excellent (but very expensive). The food and service was appalling. I am so relieved that the kitchen was closed for dinner as I think we would have been bitterly disappointed. In summary definately one to avoid until they get their act together.

2  Thank Alastair155
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in the Peacock room which is a suite located off the main hotel The small patio was cozy and right off the main eating area which was nice! The room was small, very clean and simple. The bathroom had been updated and very nice! My husband stays here quite often while on business and loves the staff!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a hard review to write. The hotel was clean and comfortable, but there was something missing. The staff were just not very personable. We stayed a week and that was just too long. The bed and linens were nice, however, I did have to ask to have toiletries put in my room 3 different times. The breakfast was nice. We never did eat there for dinner, very expensive and not our tastes. We were upgraded to a suite but it just didn't compensate for the price of the room versus what you received. That all said, I would stay there again if I were to go to Woodstock.

Room Tip: Suite for sure, I did not see a regular room.
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We were staying here for one night and it was perfect. We were able to check in late, the receptionist offered to carry our luggage and showed us to our room at the top of the building (quite a few stairs so perhaps not the room for those who are unsteady on their feet). The room was gorgeous - lovely linen and cushions, great colour scheme, nice Blenheim water and a little jar of jelly beans. The bathroom was equally nice with some lovely toiletries and towels. We headed down to the gin bar, it was brilliant and our barman was very attentive and friendly. Breakfast was yummy too with lots of options - the yoghurt and berry compote with granola was particularly nice. I liked their way of presenting hotel info in their own newspaper as well - a great touch. Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: June 2013
PeterSaundersPS, Manager at Feathers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Sounds like you had a great time, glad to hear it!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Almost perfect hotel...... Couple of gripes- no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. If you order a pot of tea you will be charged £8. We felt this a little steep bearing in mind the price of the rooms. Take your own tea making gear. Also breakfast service slowish - by time cooked breakfast arrived the toast was cold and had hardly touched the sides of the toaster. Good side - room lovely but very dark.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Sorry to hear that breakfast service was slow, Thank you for your comments we will take them all on board and make changes and improvements where necessary. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Macdonald Bear Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
The Manor
The Manor
#1 of 1 in Weston on the Green

Been to Feathers Hotel? Share your experiences!