“Every Home Comfort”

Macdonald Bear Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Wow have stayed here twice now on business, in two very different rooms, but I loved them! the four poster beds are legend... Breakfast is excellent and for the most part, most of the staff are extremely accomodating

Room Tip: Room Six has an excellent four poster ;)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Sara D
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Paola Cassotti

Write a ReviewReviews (1,734)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Would recommend as a break away. Very happy with our stay. Only complaint was at 10.15pm when we returned to the hotel bar from dinner & asked for a Hot chocolate I was informed he had turned the machine off so couldn't do this. Bar was still busy so it seemed a bit ridiculous for a hotel of this rating to refuse a staying guest a simple drink request like this.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Stimpyprice
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Bear following your stay with us. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, however I was extremely concerned to learn of the service you experienced in the bar when you requested a hot chocolate. I would like to assure you that this is not in any way reflective of our usual standards and I will be using your constructive feedback to instigate a review within the catering team.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here on a Saturday night and had a great experience. A friendly welcome, checked in early, room good and nice view to quiet Woodstock outside. Breakfast very good, so much choice! The Star and other pubs are very close by, and Blenheim just 5 mins walk down the road.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a helpful review following your stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the welcome you received, your room and breakfast experience.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had a fantastic experience staying at the Macdonald bear hotel. We were in the area on a shopping trip and spent the day at the near by Bicester village which is very easy to find from the hotel. The bedroom was spacious and immaculately clean, the breakfast offering was extensive and very good and the staff very polite and friendly. In the evening we had drinks in the bar sat next to the big open fire.
This really is a lovely hotel with lots of character

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil W

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that the team were polite and friendly!

We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Spent New Years eve here with friends. The staff were very attentive without being over bearing, member of staff noticed a light bulb had gone in my bedroom when I arrived, and fix it within 5 min. Hotel was very clean,with some lovely homely touches, a box of chocolates and some eye gell, which is needed after dancing till 1. Breakfast perfectly cooked and plenty of it , as was the evening meal. I would go there again,great place to stay , super comfy bed.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear following your stay with friends for New Years Eve. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

A fabulous hotel, great room, great food and superb service. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and we would definitely go back again. Very close to the Bicester shopping village which my wife insisted we visited on the way home!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed your room and the food you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My partner and I have stayed at The Bear Hotel on several occasions. Whilst we have always enjoyed our stays, on previous occasions, there have been little "niggles" that have slightly detracted (such as outstanding repairs in a feature room). However, our stay in mid-December was absolutely perfect - the accommodation was luxuriously comfortable, the service attentive but not over-fussy (my partner absolutely detests overly simpering service, quiet but friendly efficiency is much more our cup of tea) and the food delicious. 10/10!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you stay with us regularly, and am glad that this stay in particular was most enjoyable. We appreciate such a helpful review.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Paola Cassotti

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell
De Vere Oxford Thames

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!