“Very nice stay”

Macdonald Bear Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at the Bear with friends and found it very convenient both for Woodstock, Blenheim.
We were also able to leave our cars at the Bear and take the local bus into Oxford, which was easy and convenient.

We were met in the car park and, although we were early for check-in, our bags were very politely taken and were waiting in our rooms when we returned later in the day, which gave a very favourable first impression.

Our 'Deluxe' room was also very nice on first appearance, with a four-poster bed and attractive, traditional furnishings.
However, we did think that perhaps a make-over would be needed before very long as we found a tear in the carpet, trim falling off a chair and - worst of all - previous guest's greasy head-marks on the bedhead.
But the thing both we and our friends found most difficult to live with was the extremely low levels of lighting in both rooms - maybe so that you don't see the stains etc?!

We cannot really comment on the hotel restaurant, as we chose not to eat there in the evenings, but we were not especially impressed by breakfast.
There was no option but to pay for full English breakfast, which we didn't particularly want, but, in our opinion, the continental buffet was not particularly varied or appealing.
The cooked breakfast, which we ate, as we had to pay for it anyway, was ok on the first morning and does seem to be locally sourced and of good quality. We were disappointed on the second morning when both sausages and bacon arrived undercooked and lukewarm.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel with excellent staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank beejayblue
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear beejayblue

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment with breakfast - we usually receive such good feedback about our offering as we provide a wide variety of continental and cooked breakfasts. Please be assured that I have discussed your feedback with our Head Chef, who has asked especially to be associated with my apology.

I was also sorry to learn of the housekeeping shortfalls you experienced in your room and a full review and programme of retraining is underway with the team to ensure that any similar lapses in our usually high standards could not be repeated.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a two night stay at the Bear Hotel it was great from start to finish. We arrived early around 1130 and didnt expect to be able to check in however the room was ready and we were able to check in. The room was very spacious, clean,comfortable extremely well presented indeed.The staff were very proffessional, friendly, helpful and efficient, the Hotel decor was very tasteful. We did not eat dinner in the restaurant opting for the breakfast only which was delicious with plenty of choice.
The Bear is a quirky old hotel that iis a joy to stay in we will be back.

Dear johnat1178

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well.

It was a pleasure to hear about your positive experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed just the one night and had the evening meal. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. Wine was a little expensive but it was possible to find a couple of bottles that we felt were within our price range and acceptable quality.
Service was good although delivery of the dessert was very late, so much so that it was not included on the bill, without any request from ourselves; a good sign of a well trained team.
We chose a standard room which was comfortable and well appointed.
We would stay here again.

Dear LeedsAlfie

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay overall despite the delay of your dessert at dinner - we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had decided to have lunch at The Bear and as most people do we decided to have a drink whilst looking at the menu. I was somewhat stunned after ordering a diet coke and an orange juice with lemonade to be charged £7.75. The barman then looked down his nose at me when I queried the price as if I was some inferior being. In looking at the bill the breakdown was £3.15 for the coke and £4.60 for the orange juice with lemonade. The latter wasn't even a pint.

Needless to say we didn't stay for lunch and we won't be returning. I sent feedback to the group but have not had the courtesy of a reply. Be cautious if your are concerned about being ripped off.

Stephen Beasley

Dear Mr Beasley

I was extremely concerned to receive your review and would like to assure you that your experience is in no way reflective of the service we wish to offer. I am sorry that you have had no direct reply to your concerns and ask that you contact me via email so that I may reassure you personally: gm.bear@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 26, 2013

After reading some very mixed reviews about The Bear it was with a certain amount of trepidation that we went to stay for one night over August Bank Holiday. During the whole of Sunday there was the music festival just outside the hotel, some of the acts made me wish I was slightly deaf but on the whole it added to a lovely atmosphere. We stayed in Room 18 which had a separate living room and was a suite. It was a beautiful spacious room which I cannot find fault with. The other person who went with us had Room 17 which had a four poster and again was a lovely room. Everything was clean and tidy as you would expect. We had dinner at The Bear too, the only thing I would say is paying nearly £6 for bread for three people is scandalous and let's the hotel down, after all how much does bread cost? I loved the dinner but my husband thought the portions were too small. On the whole though a very pleasant stay and I would happily stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Caroline C

Dear Caroline C

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your stay with us.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the comfort of your room.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our party of 50 attended for the Wake of our dear Mum's funeral on 23rd August. Having visited perhaps once a long, long time ago, I was impressed still with the beauty of the hotel, the service impeccable, staff continually topping drinks up, and the finger buffet delicious. I cannot comment on the rooms etc but this certainly is a place I'd come back to one day as I live North. Thank you for making the afternoon so wonderful even though a sad occasion.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear zebbidy

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following the wake of your mothers funeral. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you at such an important time and I have shared your feedback with them as I know that they will be motivated by it.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This very old hotel, in a beautiful building, was a disappointment to us. What you get is certainly not worth the money you have to pay.
Our room (a "suite") was rather small, it was difficult to flush the toilet, some of the hinges on the windows were broken, there's no AC, but what got to us the most is the fact that you hear everything in the rooms next to you. In our case it was the upstairs neighbours who were rather busy during the night and in the early hours of the morning. We could hear every footstep, so we did not sleep very well (nor did they....).
Then there's no Wi-Fi in the room, but only in the reception area. You have to log in every time, and it's incredibly slow.
Since we had the full package deal we had dinner here as well. The food at dinner was OK, service OK, but not great, staff is rather cool. We did enjoy the breakfast, which offers a great choice of fresh foods.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Lotsofpeppers

It was with great concern that I read your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your recent stay and I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual high standards and I would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses couldn't be repeated.

I would appreciate the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel. Please can I ask you to contact me on gm.bear@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so that I may reassure you personally.

Paola Cassotti

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
Holiday Inn Oxford
Holiday Inn Oxford
#9 of 44 in Oxford
Macdonald Randolph Hotel

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!