“Right in the centre of Woodstock”
Review of The Star Inn

The Star Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Wales
“Right in the centre of Woodstock”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have stayed here on two separate occasions and both times found the accommodation to be of a good quality and very acceptable. It is a busy, popular Inn with four bedrooms.

To begin with it is important to state that the access to the bedrooms is not suitable for people with mobility issues. The spiral staircase is very tight with narrow steps. I wouldn't like to try to get a large, heavy suitcase to a room, pack and travel light. This is a historic building not a modern building.

We have stayed in two different rooms and quite frankly preferred the first one to the last but sadly I can't remember the room numbers. The only clue I can give is that the first one overlooked a side passage way and the other, the front of the hotel.

The rooms are individually furnished with a mixture of antique and modern pieces of furniture. The floor in one room was sloping which added to the character feel. Both rooms had a good bathroom with powerful shower and plenty of hot water. Both rooms and bathrooms were clean and comfortable. There is an element of road noise but the rooms do have secondary double glazing.

We ate both times in the bar and had good, enjoyable meals on both occasions. Breakfast is included in the rate and it is more than acceptable. It might be worth reserving a table if you intend to eat in the bar in the evening especially if you are staying over the weekend, this place is very popular and you might not get a table.

The staff are personable and helpful.

We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
sheffield
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Booked this weekend on the basis of previous write ups and we were not disappointed. Staff were all very friendly and helpful, the breakfasts were good and the evening meal we had there was also excellent.
Having read previous reports mentioning the stairs, we managed them ok, it is a little difficult if you have a large suitcase, but it is a listed building so changing it would be difficult.
We stayed in room one which has a king sized bed and is a good sized room with a large bathroom which we thought was recently redecorated. The bath was big and deep and as we mentioned to management would be easier to get out of if there was a grab handle, older and less able people might have a bit of a problem with this.

Room Tip: Room 1 was a well equipped good sized room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Henley-on-Thames
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Well, my problem began with ordering straight-forward bar food on Bank Holiday Monday at 3.30pm. Just after 4pm I went to the bar and asked how soon our food would arrive and was told five minutes. Over the next fifteen minutes two tables near us who arrived some 20 minutes after we did, had their food delivered.

At this point, understandably perturbed, I went back to the bar and firmly but politely expressed my unhappiness at still having no food 50 minutes after ordering. The stock response was "well we're very busy", to which I responded, "in that case why have two other tables who arrived much later got their food?". At this point a barman came up and scornfully challenged me with "no one else has complained - so what's your problem". Thankfully the bar lady with whom I was speaking ordered him out of the bar. To cut a tedious short, I got a refund and we left.

The place is a shambles.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere in Woodstock, but if you have no choice, expect an earful if you dare complain.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SpiritofJimbo
New Zealand
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Nice warm friendly pub on a freezing day. We had dinner after a few drinks. Good selection of wines and beers plus good coffee. Fabulous burgers. The atomic pig is fiery but fantastic. Good value and fulfilling.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank jabba70
Bristol England
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed for one night in March. Very pleasant and helpful staff. Our room, no 3, was pretty and had a lovely comfortable bed. The only problem we encountered was the room got very cold in the early evening as thermostat is in the bar! The bar staff soon turned heat up when asked. The bar food was delicious and reasonably priced and breakfast was hearty and quickly served. I would stay here again. Be aware there is no designated parking and spiral staircase could be a problem if you have mobility problems.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for one night at The Star in room 2, which overlooks Market Street. This is a very pleasantly decorated room, quite small but very comfortable and with everything you would need. The bathroom has a large shower which is lovely.
We also had a very tasty evening meal there - can recommend the baked camembert starter and sticky beef salad, although the hoggett burger was a little "less rustic" and homemade than we had expected.
Also enjoyed the breakfast - there is a good choice of cooked options available.
Service throughout was very friendly and attentive and I would be more than happy to come back to The Star on another occasion. One small criticism is that there was quite a lot of noise audible from the next door bedroom - just normal conversations and moving around the room, nothing expecially loud.
If I could rate this 3.5 I would do so.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LizM99
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This Inn is located within a tight street environment within Woodstock. At first glance it looks like a typical pub, but you are met with pleasant staff who deal with you as you would expect. The room was very clean, very tidy and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever stayed in. The bathroom was clean and was well presented. Although some of the furniture in the room has seen better days (chips on the paintwork etc), I would not let this detract from the experience. My only real complaint was on the evening of me staying it happened to be quiz night and after a long day I preferred to try and sleep, however, the volume of the microphone was that loud I could have participated in the quiz from my room. Unfortunately, there was no mention of this when I arrived. If I was aware of it, I could have perhaps asked for a room furthest away from the speaker. The breakfast was served quickly and the gentleman serving me was polite and pleasant. The checkout was easy. One point to warn you of, get a parking space on the street and don't move otherwise you have to go on a joy ride to find a space and then result in a longish walk back to the accommodation.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3, right above the Quiz night announcer so if your there on a Tuesday be warned.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business