“Quite alright:)”
Review of Oxford

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Oslo, Norway
29 helpful votes
“Quite alright:)”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

A good place to spend a weekend, the city is small enough so that you can cover it all in a couple of days.

A lot of colleges that can be worth seeing, e.g. Christ Church and Magdalen College...

Go phunting, or shopping, take a stroll down Cowley road with all it's exotic restaurants and shops. Lay down in Christ Church meadows, or just wander around the city.

2 Thank ebbe1983
Scotland, United Kingdom
101 helpful votes
“Oxford, a damn fine place to visit”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Do the punting, make sure it is a dry day though and visit some of the lovely colleges.

Have a drink in The White Horse Inn in the centre of town, a real spit and sawdust pub, lovely atmosphere, tiny but very friendly. Good ales too if you like that sort of thing.

2 Thank SHEEPY2012
London, United Kingdom
106 helpful votes
“Great city only an hour away from London”
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Had a great day out in Oxford

Left London at 8:21 from Paddington station. Arrived an hour later, walked for 10 minutes or so to the Tourist Information Centre and took a great walking tour (7GBP/person) starting at 10:30am (this was the first of a series of tours in the day)

The tour went on for two hours - it was valuable and we enjoyed it a lot

We then had a great lunch at Chiang Mai Kitchen

After that climbed the University Church of St Mary the Virgin (3GBP/person) - and took good pictures from the top

We then visited The Hall of Christ Church - Harry Potter's dining hall - and thought it was quite impressive

We then bought a few souvenirs in stores close to the Tourist Information Center and some books in Blackwells

Finally, dinner at Gourmet Kitchen Burger was ok

The day was amazing - strongly recommend it

2 Thank Varinia
New York
6 helpful votes
“A lovely place to visit!”
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Oxford was a pleasant surprise for me. I am a New Yorker and was spending most of my time in London (I was visiting England for a couple of months), and I finally made the break to visit Oxford.

I didn't really know what to expect, but found the architecture of the University buildings, mixed in with the busy shopping malls and high streets, totally inspiring.

I had a fabulous meal as well - in the Cherwell Boathouse - followed by a visit to the oldest pub in town, the Bear Inn! I had a great time and highly recommend it to any visitors to the UK.

Incidentally, I found the website "tourinaday.com" extremely useful for planning my trip. Loads of useful info there.

Hope you found my review useful.

2 Thank savclinch
Sydney, Australia
9 helpful votes
“A terrific vibe in this town”
Reviewed October 17, 2007

We have just returned from Oxford. This is a fabulous area which is extremely old and contains some of the most amazing architecture and buildings on offer. The town is full of young people which is created by the strong university presence. As such, the young people give the area a vibrancy which is contagius. We booked a guest house via the tourist information centre in Oxford. The service was first class as they have local local to provide for individual needs. Oxford is an ideal base for touring in the Cotswalds which is country England at its finest. The shopping area in Oxford is leisurely and well worth a look. Many great cafes and restaurants are on hand to fill the stomach. Oxford was one of the highlights of our holiday following a three week European coach tour. I would definitely return to this pretty location

1 Thank RobertfromAus

Been to Oxford? Share your experiences!