“One of the best”

Oxford Covered Market
Ranked #34 of 190 things to do in Oxford
More attraction details
Owner description: Oxford Covered Market is the jewel in the crown of Oxford. The market features more than 50 traders selling food, gifts, shoes, fashion, flowers and jewellery, and provides a unique showcase for the very best in local crafts, food and drink. We are proud that the majority of our businesses are independent and with some going back generations. The building, which is located in the very heart of Oxford, dates back to the 1770’s and has a long, varied and interesting heritage.
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I've been to several different types of covered markets in my travels over the years, and this one by far was the best. It was clean and well laid out. The merchants were of good quality with not too many touristy shops. We shopped there every day that it was open of our one week vacation. Everything from fresh vegetables, fruit, organic butchers and local sausages were purchased for our happy consumption. We even treated ourselves to the yummy (and very popular) Moo milkshakes and cookies. An overall great shopping experience in crowded Oxford.

2  Thank scoles
"worth a visit"
in 21 reviews
"city centre"

Reviewed May 28, 2010

I make a b line for the Market whenever I visit Oxford. My favourite shop is the wonderful cake shop where they specialise in novelty creations. When I visited yesterday there was a cake in the form of a Rolex watch! Fab.

2  Thank SandieR
Reviewed July 23, 2009

The Covered Market is a nice place to come relax, get a bite to eat, a soveneir and soak up English life. While certainly frequented by tourists, the covered market is definetly used by locals for everyday shopping and is a step back in time. Very european, not at all commercial.

3  Thank mktozd
Reviewed January 30, 2009

The covered market is a great place to stroll through, especially when it's raining. Some of the shops are a bit expensive, but there are also things there that you can't get anywhere else in Oxford. Most noteable are Ben's Cookies, where the cookies are always warm, with a moist centre and crunchy outside, and Pie Minister, which makes the most amazing pies I've ever had. I'd personally recommend the mushroom and asperagus one to absolutely anyone! The Mr. Porky and Heidi (featuring sweet potato and goat's cheese) are also particularly spectacular, although I've never been disappointed by any of their selection. These are true English pies, served up right with gravy, mash, and mushy peas, and are a must for anyone visiting from outside the UK.

5  Thank LindsayM1234