“Unexpected find”

Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Unexpected find”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and a friend and I visited this small unpretentious cafe a few weeks ago after having been to The Pitts Rivers Museum
Having been to 'The Eagle and Child' and 'The Lamb and flag' previously we saw this cafe and decided to give it a try
After having ordered (Two hot bacon brie and cranberry hot sandwiches and one lasagne ) we climbed the stairs to the seating area where we were seated on the last available table. We then decided that perhaps we would also need a salad so our friend went down and ordered 'The most popular one'
The food arrived quickly and we had very generous proportions and we really didn't need the
extra salad although because it was so good we ate it all.
This is an internet cafe and most of it's costomers were young
We will go again

• Visited November 2012

• Korean first
“Small, quirky, good value”
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Contrary to some of the other reviews I found the staff friendly and helpful. Chatty while my coffee was being made and checked that all was ok.

Just a coffee (right temp and good flavour) and a lemon and poppy seed muffin (moist and busting with lemon taste) but I sat downstairs for a pleasant 20 minutes while I caught up with some work.

Bristol
“rude”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We went to this cafe in preference to the chains as we believe in supporting the independent places. We ordered 2 coffees and were heading for the stairs, thinking the coffee was brought to us, when we were quite rudely told to wait. the coffee was then slammed on the counter, spilling the contents of one. I asked for a teaspoon. the waitress was obviously annoyed and said there were wooden forks. I said I preferred a spoon to scoop out the froth. She went grudgingly in to the kitchen and came back with a soup spoon! I pointed out that it was rather large and that I would prefer a teaspoon. She went away, annoyed, came back with a wooden teaspoon and then said that I ` enunciated very clearly and that she understood well what I was saying`. I was bemused as well as amused but also realised that she was actually being very rude.I wouldnt visit again. Beware that upstairs you may well be sitting by the rather grubby recycling bins!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank geminiBristol
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Great breakfast, amazing cakes and sandwiches”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Rather than pay hotel prices for breakfast we headed to this small, local, independent café that we’d spotted the night before.
You order your food downstairs and we ordered 2 full veggie breakfasts at £5 each and a tea and a coffee at a combined price of £13.30 – cheaper than the £20 at the hotel.
We couldn’t help but notice the superb array of cakes and sandwiches, so much so that we both commented that we could happily spend the day there!
We were served our drinks and took them upstairs to choose a table and wait for our food. There were two rooms upstairs; they ain’t posh, but suitably functional and even charming in a rough around the edges kind of way.
The food soon arrived and it was delightful. A couple of pieces of ciabatta, an egg, a couple of veggie bangers, mushrooms, baked beans, some potatoes and a handful of cherry tomatoes. It was tasty, nicely cooked, charmingly presented.
Oxford really is cracking place to visit as a veggie!!!
I hope you find my review helpful.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank lizandtone
Alexandria, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Major disappointment”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I had been wanting to check this place out for a while now. It seemed like a good place to get some healthy vegetarian eats. I initially ordered the tofu sandwich but they were out of tofu. I switched directions and ordered the vegetarian breakfast. They didn't ask how I wanted my eggs... egg. My husband ordered the swiss cheese and ham sandwich. We ate in but I was nearly finished with my meal before his sandwich arrived. My breakfast looked terrible upon arrival but I was famished so I figure that I should at least eat it while it was hot. It was bad. Rather insultingly so. The husband's sandwich was also a disappointment. This place might be good for the cakes and cookies but I was so put off by the lame attempt at the breakfast that I don't care to come back for cakes.

• Visited March 2011