“Over Attentive Staff”
Review of The Trout Inn

The Trout Inn
Ranked #118 of 650 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Finally visited the Trout for lunch the other day after many years of hearing how good it was - sadly I found it just a bit disappointing and certainly not up to our expectation - the food was all top quality ( except the crumble which had the most horrible burnt tasting crumble ) however the lunch was slightly ruined by the service - our main course arrived before we had all completed our starters which after making a few guiding comments to the Australian waitress she followed this by serving our coffee before the sweet course

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were visiting Oxford and being Lewis fans, we wanted to visit a few of the "Pubs" we had noticed in their series. On the way into Oxford, we stopped here for lunch. The older portion of the Trout Inn is better for atmosphere than the new section out back. The food was very good and they had several cask ales on tap. We visited in November so couldn't occupy a table out back like Lewis but still we enjoyed ourselves. The setting by the river is very picturesque and we did go for a short walk along the river bank. The pub is a little difficult to find but worth the trip. Will try and return someday in better weather.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was working in Oxford visiting from the US (we are Brots though) with my husband. I have been the The Trout before but he hadn't. we arrived at 6.30pm, it was a Thursday and we ate in the bar area. it was very cosy, we felt a great atmosphere. Our waitress was new, and told us so however her attention to us and the service was impeccable (good job Laura). She was fresh in from Australia, our drinks server was also Australian. We enjoyed their happy personalities, very refreshing compared to some other meals we had out during our 2 week stay. We had a main course and dessert. Haddock and chips for my husband, I had the salmon which was a taste explosion! Dessert was sublime, my husband is still talking about the Eton Mess. I had the crumble and custard. We can't fault anything, service pace was perfect, surroundings clean, cosy but everyone was well spaced out. it got busier as the evening progressed, we left at about 9.30pm.

2  Thank Karen C
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Mmm cozy traditional pub with excellent pub grub. Bleak day was overtaken by friendly bar staff, good beer, comfy chairs and pleasant view of the river. With no booking we were directed with no fuss to the bar area and accommodated by rearrangement of chairs. This is a popular hotel and I can see why. Recommend you book first as our visit was on the spur of the moment and we were lucky.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had booked a table a week earlier but the restaurant couldn't find any trace of it but, as they weren't too busy, we got a table. The staff are very friendly but I prefer not to be constantly addressed as "You guys". I ordered a pork and duck terrine as a starter and was very surprised when it came as a very small piece of terrine on top of a handful of dry rocket leaves with a teaspoon scrape of a marmalade/chutney. The chef apologised for it and offered a free coffee. The main course was a king prawn and crab linguine with chorizo and chilli . I chose the starter size but found the chilli overpowering ~ and I love chilli ! I left one slice of chilli which was half an inch across. This should have been a lovely dish and I was so disappointed. The dessert was OK but the sponge should have been lighter.
My husband's dinner was good and he enjoyed it so perhaps I was just unlucky but at £100, this was poor value for money.

1  Thank Lyn A