“Lunch enjoyed by all!”
Review of The Trout Inn

The Trout Inn
Ranked #201 of 687 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Eight of us went to celebrate graduation day and a wonderful performance. Having booked we read many worrying reviews, critical of service and food. Not for us! It was very good, food and service. They gave us time to enjoy our meal, we didn't want to be rushed and we weren't. But they were attentive and we never had to wait too long. As I say the food was good, top marks for my favourite, the creme brulee. Go back? Yes of course.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,778)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Nearly didn't book here as I read past reviews that the place had 'gone off'. The location is wonderful, by the weir, we had a lovely meal with friends on Father's Day. Excellent meal, not cheap, in fact quite expensive for what is, after all 'pub food'. I would go back.

1  Thank jimbob3630
Reviewed June 16, 2013

16 June 1013...... Having patronised the Trout for over 15 years over the last 3 visits we have mistakenly made all sorts of excuses for the appalling disinterested inexprerienced staff of recent times. Managment seems to be non existent and tonight was the culmination of our disenchantment despite The Trout having the huge adavantge of this of wonderful location. Having brought our visiting friends and family to the Trout for various celebations for 15 years enough is enough. The Fishes at Hinksey now wins our vote and gets our hard earned cash for quality service and food, their real time menu is great and good value, the attentitiveness and professionalism of staff is second to none and obviously its down to staff having interest and pride in their work and good and credible managment.

Tonight at the Trout, my parttner and I arrived at 8pm, we hadn't booked but they weren't busy. On arrival we were greeted but weren't encouraged to eat in the restaurant proper though there were plenty of empty tables. Instead we were invited to eat in the bar area, where tables are actually too high or chairs too low to eat comfortably. We were immedaitely offered a table in front of the open double door leading to the rear garden, which, as we know from previous experience is extremely drafty as the doors remain open for smoker to come and go. We waited and eventually obtained a table in the bar area. The table hadn't been cleared from the previous occupants. We had to interupt the waitress at her work station to ask for menus (she was more interested in chatting to and hugging her colleagues). She brought menus over and cleared away the pudding dishes of the previous occupants, leaving though empty bottles and glasses littering the table amongst our own drinks, we eventually took these and dumped them on her work station. We ordered 2 starters and each ordered Rump Cap steak food, we were not asked if we needed any drinks. It turned out the Cap steak was no longer available and I ordered fish & chips and my partner was offered rib eye or Lamb steak, she was recommened to and picked a rib eye steak. The waitress brought our cutlery and one of the knives had food residue which I had to take back to her and get changed. The starters arrived quite quickly and no complaints about those. The table had been cleared and re-set and the mains arrived. My partner's steak was ok. I looked at my new cutlery and discovered I had been given the very same dirty knife with food reside that I had previously returned to her and exchanged. A different waitress exchanged this disgusting knife again apologising. However, my battered fish & chips was a disgusting soggy pudding type mess, which I immediately sent back. The replacement was a liitle more cripsy but the chip were poor quality and very few. We didn't want to chance a pudding so asked for an Earl Grey Tea and an Americano coffee. I asked for a glass or Madiera or Marsala to go with the coffee, but the waitress clearly had no idea what these drinks were, coming back with the message from the bar they hadn't got either. The coffee and tea arrived from the bar, and as the waiter deposited the sugar bowl on the table, he took with his bare fingers several sugar lumps from out sugar bowl to take with him to another diners table, disgustingly unbelievable!

At this point we had had enough of this awful unprofessioanl service and asked for the bill. The final insult was that we discovered that my partner, having been forced to change from her Rump steak to a Rib Eye steak, she had been charged £22 for a fillet steak! We complained and with out Taxi on its way we had to wait sometime for the Manager to attend to correcet thsi very careless error.

3 years ago we would usually be greeted on entry at the door by an efficient and friendly manager. Fraser and Tom spirng to mind as perfect professional hosts, making us feel valued and welcome as customers. This great PR and customer care and attention has disppeared and so will custom until matter substantially improve. The Fishes at Hinksey are well in front now of this awful shambles at the Trout, what a disappointment. We work hard for our money and we are not going to give it away freely to such a disorganised inexperienced uncaring team at the Trout, who appear to care more abouty chatting to and hugging their friends and colleagues rather than being attentive to their paying customers. The Trout managment needs to be pulled up by its bootstraps if it is to get it back on track as a professionally run restaurant. They should be striving to provide customers with a great and memorable excellent experience by providing consistent quaity service and food in all areas, otherwise there will begin to be many more empty tables at the Trout. We will not be tempted back to eat at the Trout until we hear that there has been major all round improvements.

2  Thank TopsyOxford
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Ignored by all staff for 20 minuites till order was finally taken, even after we had asked passing staff if they could take order. Starters cold ( should have been hot ), main course poor.When my daughter and I popped our heads out to look at the patio, waitress rudely asked us if we were trying to leave without paying the bill, despite my husband standing at the bar waiting to pay!!! Don't both wasting time driving out to the pub better to take a picnic and enjoy the views.

1  Thank sharon36939
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The location is lovely and as it was a sunny day we sat outside by the river - fabulous. It is a shame that the service was slow. Yes ... they were busy but there were at least 6 staff just standing around and chatting & laughing together, who appeared to be deliberately trying not to catch anyone's eye.... We were only served because I went over to them and asked for what we wanted. The food tasted Ok but was not particularly good and I think overpriced. It was presented very poorly - the chicken caesar salad was some lettuce leaves with a chicken breast (whole) on top and one .. yes one crouton hiding beneath the lettuce. Disappointed as we were celebrating a birthday... won't bother going again.