“Great location - full of promise; unfulfilled”
Review of The Trout Inn

The Trout Inn
Ranked #219 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Memories of my undergraduate days and of course Morse. Pretty pub in lovely location by river and nicely done inside in a modern yet sympathetic style. Menu seemingly well thought out and enticing - so far so good. But downhill from there - "sticky plate" of ribs, chicken wings etc sounded great to share but the reality was that elements looked and tasted as if straight from the microwave. Resent being told rather rudely that I could not have my burger as I like it - ie medium rare. Apparently on the grounds that it is "illegal" which I'm sure it isn't. More and more restaurants adopting this approach which seems pretty stupid when many of same restaurants (but not The Trout) are happy to serve Steak Tartare. Asked the waitress to request chef to make an exception - answer NO with no hint of an apology. Shame really. Nothing that a bit of customer care couldn't fix.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,820)

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Excellent food and service in a stunning location. We would love to visit in Summer as it is on the banks of the Thames. Food and wine well priced.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We went to the Trout for my friend's birthday meal. I hadn't been before and thought the location by the river was stunning and the restaurant had bags of character. The menu is varied and we were all happy with our choices. All of the food was really tasty. We were impressed with the staff to begin with, all very friendly, professional and helpful. However when it was time to order desserts, a new waitress arrived, and her body language and attitude made it rather obvious that she wanted to go home! She was unable to answer questions about the desserts, she practically shoved the food at us when it arrived and there was certainly no friendly banter. When we finished, she shoved the bill on the table and said abruptly, " cash or card?" I'm afraid a tip was not a consideration. What a shame that such a fantastic place has staff members who so significantly let down their reputation.

1  Thank yippee33
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great walk on lovely Port Meadow to get here and work up an appetite for the very good food. Good pubby atmosphere indoors or riverside seating outside in the right weather. You can come here by car, too, via Wolvercote village and there's ample parking very close by.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Trout is cute and for those of us from " down under" it is just what we expect - stone cottage styel pub, with very low ceilings and exposed beams. I came here by bicycle with a refreshing drink at the end of the ride. It is the kind of place best with a group. The day I was there was sunny and the water sparkled and it just bubbles past right beside the stone paved outdoor seating area. The tame peacock is a dramatic real life "decorator" touch. The food wasn't top gourmet style but is was OK. I would come here for a fun group dinner rather than a "special" event as I don't think the staff are experienced enough. they are all very young.