“Tasty, but very noisy”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
England
“Tasty, but very noisy”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked table in advance. I did not realise that it would be right in the middle. They were very strict we had to sit in allocated area. That was causing sense of disappointment.
Food and advise were excellent. I would go there again (making sure that I book table by the side).

moya_oxford, Owner at Moya, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
I am sorry the table was not to your liking on this occasion; sadly, there are a limited number of walls and corners in any room and someone has to be in the centre! You did book a couple of hours in advance, but the tables you preferred had been booked days before. Yes, we are strict in seating; strictly fair. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit otherwise, and hope to see you again soon.

“A meal that cost us a lovely weekend away....”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My fiancé took me to Oxford for my birthday and we were looking for a nice romantic place to have a meal on our last night. Based on the good reviews we booked at Moya. The location is a little out of the way but nonetheless we were looking forward to the place living up to expectations - this it does NOT do. The layout of the restaurant is one of tables crammed together. It's not somewhere you would come for a romantic meal but rather somewhere you would come with friends for a casual meal. The meal itself was good, though the service was slow. I had the smoked sausage and my fiancé had the duck confit. Both meals were enjoyed and we left thinking that although it wasnt the intimate evening we were expecting at least the food was decent and reasonably priced. It wasn't until the next morning that I realised the meal was a HUGE let down. I was left with food poisoning and crippling pains. We had planned to explore more of Oxford but instead we had to come back home where I spent the rest of the day in bed and in pain. This place is really not worth the risk, I would avoid!!!

moya_oxford, Owner at Moya, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Naturally I am sorry that your weekend in Oxford was spoiled by illness. However I must advise you that the symptoms of “food poisoning”, if that was your ailment, develop between a few hours (for shellfish) and seven days or more from consumption; i.e. resulting from anything you ate in the last week. It is a common, but misinformed, reaction to blame the last meal you ate. Nevertheless, since “food poisoning” seldom afflicts one individual, I have spent some time contacting the majority of our customers from last weekend, with specific regard to ill-effects. The responses have ranged from “delicious” to “exceptional” with not one report of any adverse effect, including replies from several who had the same meals as yourselves.
We are awarded the highest, 5 star rating by our local authority for kitchen practices and hygiene. In 10 years of business we have never had a suspicion of “food poisoning”, let alone an investigation. I can assure you with complete confidence that whatever ailed you did not originate in Moya and respectfully advise that in a case such as this you should see your doctor, who is obliged to report “food poisoning” to the EHO, before you make an unsupported, damaging, and deeply hurtful allegation in such a public medium as this.
With regard to your table I am sorry you felt cramped. I believe you enquired during the early evening when Moya was already full and I could not offer a place until 9.30pm. Even then, the table made ready for you was the only one available. Most of our seating is more generous, but was occupied at the time by customers who had booked hours or days earlier. We always advise booking ahead; indeed, a sensible plan for any restaurant in Oxford at the weekend! My records indicate that you chose, ate, and paid for a three course meal in 1 hour and 20 minutes; apologies if you find that slow in a completely full restaurant.
We hope you are recovered now, and reassured, and that you may consider visiting Moya again when next you visit Oxford.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely time had by all”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Excellent non pretentious restaurant with quality food. I can't fault it. Other Oxford restaurants should take note. Service was attentive but not overbearing. The food delicious and reasonably priced. Nothing more to say!

moya_oxford, Owner at Moya, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for your perceptive appreciation; we are indeed pleased NOT to be labelled “pretentious” or “overbearing”. Nothing more to say!
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Very nice place to have a great meal”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Simple and great, lovely atmosphere nice wine. I recommend for lunch or just for a drink :) i had rezen and it was like from my mother but my friends were satisfied with their choice as well. Enjoy nice service

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Relaxed Restaurant”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

6 of us booked relatively last minute on a busy Saturday evening to celebrate a friend's birthday. Having never eaten at Moya before, we weren't really sure what to expect ,however, we were not disappointed. The food was delicious and very well priced and the coffee martini was a lovely way to finish off the meal.

Not a place to go if you want dainty 'haute cuisine' or if you are in a rush ,but for a relaxed, friendly and hearty meal you can't go wrong.

The battered prawns, prawn salad, pork shank and salmon all highly recommended by our group.

We will be back!