“Deserves the number 1 rating!”
Review of Moya

Moya
Ranked #31 of 649 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Eastern European
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We visited Moya last week (twice!) during a stay in Oxford. The restaurant is bright and airy though quite small, with a cocktail bar area at the front. The staff are very friendly and the service was spot on. Would definitely recommend the Devil's Toast and Pork Shank. Everything was cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. The second visit was to try out the dessert menu as we were to full to indulge after our first meal! The Apricot Knedle with butter and poppyseed sauce was worth the return visit, as was the delicious Pomegranate Cosmopolitan!

2  Thank kron100

Reviewed June 15, 2012

My aim this year was to visit a few good restaurants in Oxford. I can comfortably say Moya was the best meal I have had this year. What they serve is very simple but extremely effective at a reasonable price of £20 all up (which includes starters, main and a drink). So thanks Moya and Trip Advisor for a great recommendation.

2  Thank Sam H
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had a delicious, well served meal with some tasty pink fizz - I wish we lived near enough to go more often! Not the most attractive restaurant from the outside - it is well worth venturing inside to sample the food. Fishcake, "devil's toast," sea bass and duck all highly recommended.

1  Thank MarkCheshire
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Went to Moya last night. Atmosphere is pleasant, the surroundings are light and airy, wooden tables and floorboards. I had the starter from the specials board - deep fried cauliflower with Slovakian-style vegetables in mayonnaise (what I've always known as Russian salad). To follow I had the Bean goulash (OH had the meat version). Mine came with miniature dumpling type pasta shapes, his with saute potatoes, and we had a dish of sweet cabbage with caraway seeds. The goulash was well cooked, plates were quite large, but the portions weren't very big. Cabbage had been sweetened over-much for his liking, so I ate it all, which bulked up my goulash. We both ate all our food, and the bill was very reasonable. However, what I would say about it is that it's more like going to a Slovakian friend's house and having his mother's cooking - quite ok, and interesting to try, but not really great. I felt I could have cooked it rather better myself (and indeed I do cook the cabbage dish rather better). I wouldn't want to put you off going, it's ok food, prices ok, service friendly, nice atmosphere - but don't expect fine dining, or a "wow" experience, because it's not. I came home afterwards and felt like having something else to eat.

1  Thank IgorStrav
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We had an early dinner table booked between 5.30 and 6pm and were first in the restaurant however a number of tables had reserved cards on them and several more tables were occupied by the time we left. The service was very friendly, attentive and helpful. The Slovakian menu was unusual and with a good choice and there were also a number of specials on the black board. There was a also a drinks card rather than just a wine list which very helpfully as it had all drinks listed, alcoholic (great selection of wines including by the glass and cocktails, beers including a draft option which alternates monthly), non-alcoholic and all hot drinks. The food is very well presented and is good value. I would certainly go back.