“Midweek Getaway”

Portabello Restaurant Bar & Grill
Ranked #82 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A chic, cosmopolitan British restaurant bar and grill open from 9:30am all day every day serving great steak, fish dishes, classic burgers and more. Our menus change regularly with the season with our fixed price lunch menu changing weekly. We serve freshly prepared food with great British flavours in casual and relaxed surroundings. You'll find us in South Parade, a gorgeous little side road in Summertown, amongst trendy boutiques, galleries, wine bars and the North Wall Theatre. Come along for 'the best breakfast in town' from 9:30am 7 days a week and on Sundays come and enjoy a great selection of traditional roasts and superb sharing plates. Join us for Happy hour every week daily from 5:00pm to 7pm when all cocktails and champagne are £5! Let us treat you to a great fixed price menu available lunchtimes Monday to Friday - just £10.95 For two courses and £13.95 For three courses. Our children's menu is available every day and we have child friendly facilities. We can cater for parties of up to 100 guests with menus to suit. An impressive upstairs private dining area is available for all of your special occasions. Guests also benefit from our restaurant car park. Feel free to drop in for a glass of wine, coffee or a sweet treat at the bar or on the terrace. Reservations are welcome for anytime.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Visited portabello on a short break away from london for an occasion and thoroughly enjoyed it! We were lucky enough to have great weather which added to the experience. The fried squid starter was amazing, seasoned to perfection I literally couldn't fault it if I tried. The main course however was somewhat overlooked as I prefer my steak medium rare and was not asked how I would like it cooked. It came out well done and although it was not to my preference the flavour was still good. The triple cooked chips were okay as were the portabello mushrooms, nothing spectacular. The pudding was AMAZING, peanut butter mousse with chunks of peanut in it was beautiful! Topped with toffee apple and chocolate marshmallows. It was delicious, can't help but think it may have worked better as just the mousse though. Good service, the staff were attentive & friendly enough, all around lovely meal just a shame the main let it down a little.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

There we were in Oxford, with so many choices of restaurant. driving around for ages we happened upon this restaurant. Summer-town in Oxford seemed quieter suburb, but this restaurant with its own off street parking seemed worth the risk.
Wow.. were we pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was a very laid back bistro, with and good selection of drinks, and some English wines on offer.. about time we promoted our own produce.
My wife and I were particularly taken by the specials board, which had a great selection of fish dishes. Particularly important for us as my wife does not eat meat. This obviously extended here usual vegetarian choices .
The standard menu had plenty of choice, but I must admit, I went for a steak. Sad I know, but when its done how I like it, its truly one of the finest meals.
My wife opted for "Cod with cockles and caper broth". My wife loves cod, but never had it served with cockles, she thoroughly enjoyed it. My Ribeye steak was cooked perfectly.
If this had been a planned meal we would have struggled to get the choices down, we both liked too many of the starters. and the great range of sweets. Unfortunately this time, it was just a main and back home
I will be working near Oxford often for the next 12 months. So I am thrilled I have a great place to eat, and also to take my customers.
The service was a good balance of attentiveness, without being too quick or intrusive.
I would highly recommend a visit, and try the specials, the waitress told me they change daily!

2  Thank Ian B
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I visited this wonderful restaurant with my family and can truely say I had a fantastic evening. The food was perfectly executed and brilliantly thought out. We particularly enjoyed the leg of lamb and the turbot. The waitress who served us was very friendly and knew the menu well. Overall we were so pleased with our experience and will be back to sample more delights of Portabello restaurant.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We've eaten here many times and always found it reasonably good however I was very unimpressed on our last visit. We had taken friends and the lamb dish I ordered was without doubt the worst piece of meat I have had anywhere. The meat was inedible being gristly and sinewy with every mouthful. Having recommended the restaurant to our guests I gamely swallowed the first four gristly mouthfuls but afterwards couldn't keep up the pretence. We did discreetly mention this to the waitress and at the same time said we didn't mean to cause a fuss but the chef ought to know. Whether it is the peril of employing staff whose first language isn't English or just poor customer service nothing was mentioned again. I work in the meat industry so I know cheap meat cuts when I come across them. In a slow cooked stew it might have been OK but it truly was terrible. Come on Portobello you need to buck up.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We visited the Portabello in their English wines week. The restaurant is in the South Parade, the same road as the North Wall Theatre which we had been to beforehand.

The menu has some unusual items as well as the standard fare and includes oxtail, rabbit terrine, calves liver, sea trout, black pudding, wood pigeon, shin of beef etc in various combinations.

The asparagus and fried duck egg was as it should be as were my wife's scallops with black pudding. The sea trout with samphire was good.

The English Brightwell wine was excellent and it was great to see a choice of English wine.

Another time I am tempted to try one of their many beef options.

There is a very relaxed atmosphere and a cross section of people.

Service is keen and not stuffy at all.