“Comfort food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gino's Spaghetti House

Gino's Spaghetti House
Ranked #86 of 622 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wales
“Comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went here with a friend when we wanted a chance to catch up before heading to a graduation do. Staff are civil if not effusive--there seemed to be a bit of a language barrier on ordering, which would explain why they aren't more chatty, but it got sorted out. The food was good, solid Italian comfort food, inexpensive and decent portions. Getting food, drinks, and water was efficient even as the restaurant got more crowded. They did push dessert a bit--we said no thank you, and she brought the menu anyway, possibly another language thing or else she really just figured we actually wanted dessert? It's all right though, because we gave in and got scoops of very nice ice cream, so it clearly worked.

It's not my favourite place in Oxford (that would be Pierre Victoire), but it's good, fast, and reasonably priced, and I'll no doubt be there again before long.

Los Angeles, California
“Perfect "Neighborhood" place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I am an American who visited Oxford for only two days, staying around Worcester College. My friend and I went there our last night after a great deal of tooling around. It was perfect. I had a spaghetti bolognese and red wine and it was well prepared, the spaghetti al dente. Simple but elegant in comfortable surroundings. I wish it were here so I could run around the corner and have a light supper right now! Oh, six thousand miles only between me and it! Thanks for a pleasant evening.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Gloucestershire
“Quick meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Went here for a quick/prompt bite to eat before the theatre, and based on other trip advisor reviews this place looked ideal. On entering the restaurant nobody greeted us, so we said "Good evening" to gain someone's attention be told to "wait there" with a hand pointed to us by the waiting staff. The manager/owner then came over and showed us to a table & he was polite. The waiting staff we found unfriendly I'm afraid. The starters came out very quickly, and before we knew it the mains were out too, before we'd finished our starters (we did want a quick/prompt meal, but this was a bit too quick!). The pizza's we had were good. Nobody asked if we'd like more drinks, so our glasses remained empty for most of our meal. When we declined dessert the waitress looked at us almost in disgust. We paid the bill, with waiting staff lurking to take our money as we placed it on the saucer, and we left without anyone saying thank you or good evening to us. It was almost as if they thought we were tourist's, so unlikely to see us again, but unfortunately that's not that case, we are local, but I'm afraid we wont be going back here again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GRFCGloucestershire
new york
“nice place near the bus station”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

My first night in Oxford I wanted to find a place close to my hotel and easy to get to. Took a chance on Gino's and had a very nice meal. Calamari appetizer and spaghetti with Tuna were both satisfying. Staff are friendly and the restaurant has a warm atmosphere.

Visited May 2013
Bedford
“Cosy and family friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Staff were helpful, offering smaller portions for the children (luckily as even they seemed very generous!) and alternative pastas to messy spaghetti! Food was fine, everyone enjoyed their meal, and was great value for money. Atmosphere was relaxed. An enjoyable lunchtime experience with group of children. If in the area again with children would go back.

• Visited May 2013