“Very very good food!”

Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked the restaurant in advance for our trip to Oxford. The service was excellent and the food was very tasty. Knocked one point off as it wasn't exceptional but would definitely eat here again. Great atmosphere!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were in Oxford end September and went to Pierre Victoire for dinner. It was great- we did make a reservation to get a table - just as well as the place was packed ,which added to the buzz around.Staff courteous , friendly and managed not to take long getting our steaks to us in spite of being full. We both had the prix fixe menu. Steak were cooked just right.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

It is possible to find a relatively quiet table in Oxford on a Saturday night. The mezzanine area at Pierre Victoire is one's best bet. There is a lovely Parisienne feel to the restaurant and the food is good. Highly recommend the duck.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Visited this bustling bistro style restaurant one Friday evening as part of a weekend stay in Oxford. We had chosen the restaurant on the basis of their menu which had a varied and interesting array of dishes and we were not disappointed. My starter of escargot with a parsley,garlic and Pernod butter made a pleasant change from the normal escargot in garlic dish, and my wife enjoyed the duck and brie salad although felt that the raspberry vinaigrette wasn't particularly strong. For mains the duck on spring onion rosti that I had was truly memorable as was my wife's rump of lamb. Why both were delivered with steak knives I have no idea as both meats were totally tender - indeed my duck breast could be cut with my fork! The only criticism we had was an unawareness of the size and quantity of the side ingredients. I had assumed for example that my rosti would be a typically thin one but it turned out to be extremely large (and tasty) and really negated the need for the additional gratin dauphinoise I ordered. Equally my wife discovered that the ratatouille couscous contained little more than a few peppers and she really needed to have ordered extra vegetables. Fortunately she was able to share my green beans mange tout & sugar snaps which were vibrant and beautifully cooked. Dessert was a mixed bag with me having an excellent, tangy lemon tart but my wife's peach melba was OK but rather sweet. Service was good despite it being a very busy night although I would agree with a previous reviewer who noted that perhaps it could have been a little more personal.
Overall it was a really enjoyable meal and we would certainly go back again, especially as we have a bit more knowledge about the dishes. It is definitely excellent value for money, especially with a sensibly priced range of wines and the 3 course meal (sun-fri) is an absolute bargain!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We always enjoy a visit to PV. The atmosphere is authentic and relaxed, the staff friendly and the food reliable. Sunday lunch is cheap and very nicely done.