“Very good food, lovely atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Xian Restaurant

Xian Restaurant
Ranked #72 of 625 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very good food, lovely atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

How lucky we are to have a family run restaurant like this on our doorstep. The food is consistently good. The aubergine hotpot is always delicious. Vegetable San Choy bau is our favourite. Sizzling veg are appropriately exciting and good. Nice veggie choices, and all the carnivores I know think it is good too. The atmosphere is lovely and very friendly. Staff make a big effort to make you welcome and are very attentive. It is always busy, with happy locals.

• Visited December 2013

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Nothing to shout about!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I met a friend for dinner here in a cold rainy Friday night two weeks before Christmas. It was packed, there was a party going on. In fact, we had to sit at the bar area for our starters. We sat there for almost one hour before we were guided to a table, it was 10pm then. I did book a table for 9pm though. I did get an apology from the owner(I suspect?!) Nothing else was offered, but we were not expecting a discount.

The food was really average, quite bland in my opinion, very localised Chinese and lack the authentic element, and you could see there were hardly Asian/Chinese faces except myself. Maybe we were there quite late.

I still think Opium Den and Paddyfields in Oxford serve better Chinese, that's strictly from the taste point of view.

All in all, efficient service, reasonably priced,nicely run, not necessarily my cup of tea.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

A friend had booked this restaurant for a night out so i had checked the reviews. I always start with the poor reviews and work up. This place had more good reviews than poor so i figured i would give it a go.
I was not disappointed, i found the quality of the food to be excellent and the staff were cheerful and attentive. The service was good, being a group of women we talked a lot so i did not notice if we waited long, The food was hot and tasty, the staff topped our glasses regularly and we were not rushed even though the place was filling up quickly. Initially, as we had an early booking, it did feel a bit cold and we moved tables to be near a radiator but it soon warmed and we were comfortable. I would certainly go again. We had the set menu and drinks and a bottle of wine and the bill was the same as when we visit a chain pasta outlet but far better atmosphere and service. Great job.

• Visited December 2013
“Upmarket Chinese restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were a table of 8, celebrating a birthday party. Service was attentive and efficient. Food was just excellent, particularly the lamb, lightly fried, with a delish hint of ginger! Our table was loaded with wonderful dishes - each as good as the other.

We liked the soft lighting and atmosphere in the restaurant, (unlike most Chinese restaurants which are brightly lit and lacking in atmosphere). The only possible negative comment I can make is that the table could have done with a revolving centre piece as there were many dishes being passed back and forth, which meant that some of the sauces dripped off the bowls in motion - a little messy.

However - a great evening spent with our guests and we all ate well and with relish.

Thank you Xian for a great evening.

• Visited November 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good place for friends' gathering”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

This restaurant is very friendly one. The food is a bit sweet(lean more to the cantonese style). But the quality of the material is upscale. This restaurant is suitable for those who like sweet Chinese food instead of spicy Sichuan food。

Visited November 2013