“Awesome authentic Japanese with atmosphere”
Review of Edamame

Edamame
Ranked #69 of 647 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Delicious and truly authentic Japanese food in a cosy and inviting setting. Three different menus are offered at set times of the week. Check web-site for menu details and opening times.
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a small Japanese restaurant on Holywell Street. There is no booking so be prepared to queue. The restaurant rotates menus to keep it fresh and has a sushi night on a Thursday. It is open in the evenings three nights a week,

We went at 6.30 on a Saturday night and had a 20 minute queue outside. If you don't want to queue don't go! The staff are good at gauging the size of tables outside and the seating is on shared tables so if you have a large group you may want to split up. The approach is about pace and so this is not the place for a romantic dinner for two or a big party celebration lasting all evening. For some very tasty food though and an experience it is fantastic.

We had the edamame beans and some pickled vegetables. Both tapas size and well done.

We then had the octopus pieces in pancakes - the best thing we had with flaked fish sauce on top. The special beef was beautifully tender in a spicy sauce. The deep fried salmon and chicken were both wonderfully hot and crisp. The mixed prawns were good but our least favourite out of the lot.

They serve Japanese lager and dark beer along with a range of Japanese wines and sake. We had a meal which cost £51 for four of us and really enjoyed it. We were in and out in less than an hour and half including queuing so its a great place to go before the theatre or cinema. Last sittings are at 8.30. Lunchtime is cash only so go prepared. Also they don't proffer cutlery so be prepared to wield a chopstick in anger.

Just do it. As long as you are ok with the queuing you will love the experience

oxfordninja, Owner at Edamame, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you very much for the kind words in your review. You certainly capture the essence of Edamame in your description - your enthusiastic and frank remarks are very refreshing to read ! We always feel encouraged when our guests enthuse about the things that we are rather than criticise the things that we are not or do not try to be !! Perhaps one day you will come and enjoy a hearty noodle dish or our popular curry dish that we serve at lunchtimes ! By the way, if you're in need of cutlery we are most happy to offer some, so please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Peter Galpin

Reviewed November 4, 2013

It is hands down, one of the few places in England serving excellent sushi. The place is very tiny though and I have queued for over an hour for quite a few times to get a table, as they don't allow reservations and it was totally worth it. The restaurant's sushi night is only on Thursdays. After living in Oxford for two years myself, I recommend Edamame as a must visit diner if you are a sushi lover.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Travelled to Oxford for the weekend with a friend and we were recommended to go early to this gem. Arrived just before it opened on a Saturday evening, and it was already queuing up the street. Worth the wait! My first experience of Japanese cuisine was great. An easy to understand menu and hints on what to order, along with helpful staff are all to be recommended.
Would happily visit the restaurant again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I has been study also live in Oxford for few year. This restaurant is very nice food and good taste that I would prefer everyone try it. You can feel and smell as you live and eat in Japan. However, the house is very small so have to waiting a bit long outside. Finally, Do not forget this place when you are visiting Oxford...

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have been studying in Oxford for two years, from summer 2011 to summer 2013. Edamame is easily my favorite restaurant in the city, and I have gone there on (almost) a weekly basis. The atmosphere is cozy, the staff extremely cordial and, most importantly, the food is really really great. My favorite dish is jagabata, a side made with potatoes and a garlicky sauce. The last time I went to Edamame before moving away I have asked the owner about the ingredients of the sauce, but he wouldn't reveal his secret. I am going back to Oxford for graduation day in a couple of weeks, and I will make sure I ask again :)
All in all, if you happen to be in Oxford I really suggest you try this tiny gem in the heart of the city.