“Authentic Japanese food outside of London!”
Review of Edamame

Edamame
Ranked #32 of 686 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Delicious and truly authentic Japanese food in a cosy and inviting setting. Three different menus are offered at set times of the week. Check web-site for menu details and opening times.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I simply don't know any other authentic Japanese restaurant outside of London. That makes this place an absolute treasure! Not only do they serve delicious Japanese food but you don't have to go in to London to get it! :D
I've only ever been there for Lunch but the lunch menu has large portions of all the typical Japanese fast food (eg. Ramen, Katsu Curry, Shogayaki). The place is always busy but the service is fast.
The only thing more I could wish for is that they would open a larger restaurant where you can book a table and take your time. Maybe one day, if enough of us continue to support them, this might happen!?

Reviewed April 5, 2013

From far the best value restaurant in Oxford in my opinion. High quality products, fresh, tasty, , clean, fast service and good prices!

Only bad point is the that the place is tiny and the sitting a bit low confort.
Arrive before 7:30PM to avoid queuing, Thursday is Sushi night. I recommand as well!
JC

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Have wanted to eat here for years and now at long last I have. I must have been bonkers to have waited so long. Took teenage boy and a couple of university students and we all .......but if I say too much the queues outside will get even longer....!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

There is no point in me over-analysing this place, as the studenty/Sunday supplement buzz about it will ensure it remains full, and the queues will remain lengthy, no matter what I say. I had a nice evening here: even though four of us squeezed onto a tiny table after standing outside in the freezing cold for half an hour at 8 pm (and I am neither a hardy student or hardline trendy. . .). As a result of being very hungry, we over ordered and it got a bit pricey. I have few referents by which to judge Japanese cuisine. . . but some of the food was really impressive (the tofu was particularly lush), some was downright weird (the pickled root veg?!), and some was. . .well, just not as good as Wagamama. I may well go back, but I would choose the time very carefully, and the dishes more carefully still. It itsn't "average" at all, but there isn't a rating for "interestingly inconsistent", so there we are.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My son had been asking for a while that we go to Edamame, to get edamame beans and chicken ramen, as per usual because he is a boy of fixed habits. So after the obligatory 20 minute hell shopping for skinny boy clothes in Topman, we warmed up in Edamame, (after the ten minute wait outside, which it has to be said is worth it). Other diners are interesting and the food is authentic Japanese. Not grand Japanese like restaurants in Mayfair, but home cooked Japanese and it beats Wagamama and Yo Sushi by a mile. Because it’s real, rather than formulaic, and that’s part of the appeal. I won’t find the same menu in Tokyo or London or anywhere apart from Oxford. So for me that makes it worth queuing outside and sharing tables with total strangers.

In addition to Edamame beans and Chicken Shoyu Ramen, we had tsukemono, Japanese pickled vegetables and natto, fermented soy beans, in a stretchy weird film. The menu is correct in describing this dish as “ an acquired taste” but it’s one I acquired fairly quickly. We also had chicken katsu. The restaurant has different lunch and dinner menus and usually has specials, the seaweed salad is always worth having. And do try the Calpis, a yoghurt drink which you can have shots of alcohol added to. There is also Japanese dark and light beer. Whatever you have at Edamame will be good, it’s well worth a visit.