“Delicious food that's worth the wait”
Review of Edamame

Edamame
Ranked #73 of 671 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Description: Delicious and truly authentic Japanese food in a cosy and inviting setting. Three different menus are offered at set times of the week. Check web-site for menu details and opening times.
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We went to Edamame while visiting a friend based in Oxford, I vaguely remember reading from the website that they close at 2.30pm and we got there close to 3pm, there was a 4 person-queue ahead of us so we had to wait outside. We were the last ones to be admitted and newcomers were turned away. It was probably a 20-min wait but once we started eating we realised why people queue just to get food from this restaurant. We were served tea as soon as we were seated then we ordered chicken yakisoba, chicken kara-age and pork shoyu ramen plus miso soup and rice on the side. We also had edamame for starters. The food were faultless and we finished everything amongst the four of us including my 2 1/2 yr old son who thoroughly enjoyed the kara-age, the chicken was battered nicely and was not dripping in oil. I love the bonito flakes (I think they are bonito flakes) in my yakisoba, it was very tasty and add another depth to the dish. The portions were generous and we paid £31 (inc. drinks) for everything which was really inexpensive for the quality of food that we had. My only concern is that because the space is extremely small, it makes bringing a pram difficult because there is nowhere to put it and it won't even fit in their small corridor, just a heads up to parents bringing their kids in pram. As for the complaint regarding the food's authenticity, what is an authentic Japanese cuisine? All food found in our tables have been in one way or another influenced by another culture, and food, in places like Edamame and even in our own homes, reflects the cook's interpretation of a dish so it always varies. I can say that the food we had in Edamame is certainly worth the wait and the long drive from the North of England to Oxford, I can't wait to visit again.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

the food here is just great.. it was a bit wait till i got my meal.. may be it was because of the busy evening.. but we enjoyed their food and service..

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We arrived at about 7pm on a Saturday night, not realising we would have to wait. We decided to stick it out and it was worth it. We had to wait about half and hour but people who arrived after us would've waited longer. Very cosy, shared tables mostly, but we had a table for 2. Food was fabulous authentic hot Japanese food. Sushi is only on Thursday night. Staff were friendly and helpful even though they were very busy. Gorgeous mismatched sake cups and bottles and everyone gets to choose their own cup from the basket. Great meal, great setting, reasonably-priced. We haven't had Japanese this good since we left Australia.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Oxford is well-stocked with good restaurants, but this one is quite unlike anything I've had before. A varied menu of dishes you won't find elsewhere, served efficiently. Not all of the dishes to were my tastes, but they were certainly memorable and worth trying. Prices are reasonable enough, but as you can't book and the kitchen isn't hugely well-stocked, I recommend arriving early for the best choice.

1  Thank tripleplay97
Reviewed November 4, 2012

In a city which has too little Japanese food available, this place is justly popular, albeit that it is more of a fast-food establishment rather than somewhere to linger. Only criticism - it doesn't accept bookings and, because of its popularity, it is often necessary to wait outside before being seated.

1  Thank Villabloke