“First class food, restaurant could do with a makeover” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chutney's
Ranked #152 of 622 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Leicester, United Kingdom
“First class food, restaurant could do with a makeover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We found this place on Saturday night as we were looking for somewhere to eat in the pouring rain. Being on a side street, we thought as a group of 4 we might be able to get a table without having made a booking.

After a short wait by the bar the waiter told us he had a table ready in the centre of the room or if we didn't mind waiting the table by the window was just paying their bill so we could wait for that. The menu was extensive and had some great options for the vegetarian in our group, while still having a great selection of meat dishes.

We all had a starter and main each. The chickpea puri I had for starter was delicious, I wish they made it in my local Indian restaurant back home. I could have had it again and again. We all agreed the food was lovely. We are all huge Indian cooking fans being from Leicester where there are numerous Indian restaurants to try, and this restaurant didn't disappoint on flavour, spice or portion size. The bill was about £90 for 4 adults, so not too bad for 2 courses each and a round of drinks.

The staff were attentive, asking after our food and drinks, but left us to ourselves for the evening which was good.

The restaurant itself is a little garish, painted in bright colours and with a picture of Bill Clinton on his visit to Chutneys on the wall behind the bar. It's a little cheesy to be honest, and would be much better painted simply and to let the food speak for itself. The décor might put some people off entering.

The downstairs toilets could also do with some improvements. I found it strange that the ladies had a full length mirror opposite the toilet, so you could see yourself on the loo. Also I'm only 5 foot 3 inches but with the ladies being under the stairs my head was touching the ceiling whilst I was stood at the sink washing my hands. Anyone taller would have to be bent over to avoid hitting their head.

Overall a great dinner out, I would return again if I came back to Oxford.

• Visited October 2013

Ludlow, United Kingdom
“My favourite Indian restaurant - anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I'm amazed by some of the lukewarm reviews for this restaurant, which I have always hugely enjoyed, and would readily describe as my favourite restaurant in Oxford, and my favourite Indian restaurant anywhere. The extensive a la carte menu is a joy for vegetarians, with more choices than I'll ever be able to sample. Their lemon rice is a must; inexplicably, it's no longer on the menu, but they will happily make it if requested. Have eaten here twice in recent weeks and found it as satisfying as ever.

• Visited August 2013
wolverhampton uk
“Authentic , excellent food at a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were drawn to Chutneys during our weekend in Oxford, predominantly because of the enticing smell of the food and the fact that the restaurant was packed with diners, which is always a good sign. Despite how busy it was at 7.30pm we didnt have to wait long for a table and service was efficient, the waiters charming and helpful. The decor is simple and unpretentious,the food was divine and the bill under £40 for a feast for two. We left happy and satisfied and would return to sample other dishes from the menu.

• Visited September 2013
London
“Has Changed Since Last Ownership!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Sadly after a very long time [ years ] of great evenings spent over well prepared food with Chutneys being the venue, I have to say guys unless you go back to how "It used to be" under the previous female manager/owner, paying attention to both food and engagement between the staff/diners!! I suspect that you may not get the better reviews that you wish for.
Attention to detail in the WC department would also be worth considering!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jonathan l
“3.5/5 - good, inexpensive food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I went into chutneys because i'd heard reviews that it was the best Indian in oxford. i went for the lunch special (the express), which offers a choice of starter and a main curry accompanied with rice and naan. (GBP5.95 - if i remember correctly).

The rice was really nice, well flavoured and not oily. The naan was a little burnt in places but delightfully soft and thin and buttery otherwise. The starter i had - chicken - was just okay...a little heavy on the batter, not enough chicken, while the curry was very mild for a madras, but really really tasty. the portion size is perfect for lunch - not so much you get sleepy after, and just enough for a moderate eater (big eaters may not be satisfied)

the place itself (which boasts a picture of bill clinton) is nice and clean and the service was good.

all in all, nice for a quick lunch - i think i might go back and try a la carte next time, to see if the quality of the food is much better.

• Visited September 2013