“Best Pie I Have Ever Eaten” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gee's Restaurant

Gee's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gee's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 622 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our 2013 transformation remains loyal to Gee’s traditions of providing quality food & service in the most beautiful restaurant in Oxford. Whether flooded with mid-morning sunlight or under Oxford’s evening sky, Gee’s is the place to enjoy exceptional food in unique surroundings. The tables on the outdoor terrace are surrounded by the dense foliage of topiary & potted plants – & if you like the plants, some are available for sale. The new interior is filled with trees, new furniture, soft colours & lighting.Of course the important aspect of the new Gee’s is the cooking. A brand new kitchen incorporates a wood fired oven & a charcoal grill; food acknowledges the continued interest in the origin of ingredients, seasonality & the variety & abundance of local Oxfordshire produce.Gee’s remains the place in Oxford to enjoy a fabulous meal. There are dishes for sharing & dishes in two sizes to suit different appetites & times of the day. Expect great food to suit every occasion, served by knowledgeable & friendly waiters, in this beautiful, iconic glasshouse in North Oxford.
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Best Pie I Have Ever Eaten”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have eaten in Gee's a few times, and have never been disappointed. I took my mum to lunch here on her visit to Oxford, and treated ourselves to the special, which was Venison Pie. I have to say I have never eaten a more delicious pie, the pastry was cooked perfectly and they could not have stuffed more filling into it. The only upsetting part was that I couldn't finish it all.
The atmosphere was very relaxed, helped by the very comfortable seating, definitely could have fallen asleep after I'd finished my meal; and the staff were delightful, polite, discreet and attentive. I don't think we could have picked a better place for lunch.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OxfordGees, Manager at Gee's Restaurant, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you very much for your fast review, we only made a few venison pies to test how they were received so I will pass your comments on to our kitchen team. Thank you for your considered comments concerning service, out waiting team will be very happy to hear you found your service attentive & polite.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service, great decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I visited Gee's for a treat Saturday lunch with friends. After reading the reviews on here I was reserved in my expectations for food, but I was lured in by the beautiful on-trend shabby chic, French-inspired decor and novelty of sitting in a conservatory on a sunny winter's day. Also, I was keen to dine away from the city centre which too often feel like it's preoccupied with restaurant chains, and not so concerned for originality.

We were served immediately by very friendly staff and taken to our table. For starters we had artichoke wrapped in Parma ham, absolute melt in the mouth delicacies. We also had a delicious selection of bread, balsamic and olive oil. We also shared a pizza which was great! For our main we had chorizo and chicken stew, it was rich, tender, melt in your mouth delicious and cooked to perfection and clearly used quality ingredients.

Some of the other customers in the restaurant seemed slightly pretentious and rude and that's why I've marked down atmosphere slightly, but the restaurant itself I think is spot on all round.

1 Thank Esnit
Thank you very much for your review, it is very rewarding for our kitchen & restaurant team to receive your comments. We change our menu on a daily basis so I hope you visit us again soon to try some of our other dishes.
Stratford upon Avon
“Lost the plot.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I can sum up my visit to Gees last week in two words - disappointing & expensive.

Service was alright and the food was at best, just about acceptable.

For 1 starter, 2 main courses, 2 desserts, 2 coffees & 2 large mineral waters, it was over £77.00. I don't see this as being value for money.

When eating there, its like being in a green house at a garden center. .

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank DoctorLuigi
Our building is a green house originally built to sell flowers & fruit trees in the Victorian times, although it now is far more comfortable than when first built by the Gee family. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Gee's. We aim to impress with our food & service, I apologise that this was not the case when you visited.
Manchester
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We started coming to Gees about 8 years ago and it used to be a lovely treat. I understand that the restaurant is under new management and we decided to go back.

The restaurant still has a lovely atmosphere and the conservatory has a nice feel to it.

The menu, however, is now more like a bistro with few tasty looking dishes. It seems very run of the mill and something you could get cheaper (and better) elsewhere.

We also had problems with the food that was actually brought out. One of the parties' meat was cooked rare when it had been requested well done (this was, to Gees' credit, taken off the bill, but only after we asked).

A further problem occurred when one of the diners was told that the chef had "made a mistake" when cooking the meal the first time and therefore had to "try again". One person was therefore left without food for 15 minutes while everyone else was forced to tuck in to theirs. Some free bread was brought out for this person.

I found the service rude. When speaking about the late meal, I was told that it had only taken 5 minutes to bring out the food. It was 15 minutes at least (some people had finished their mains) and when I mentioned that it wasn't 5 minutes, the waiter decided to walk off when I was mid sentence and then proceeded not to make eye contact for the rest of the evening.

Other than that, the food was fine, wine was nice and desserts just "okay".

Overall, a bit of an underwhelming experience, especially given it was a restaurant we used to enjoy so much.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank L_traveller101
I am so sorry that you found our service rude, I agree this is unacceptable. We do try not to make mistakes, however occasionally they do happen but I would have expected your waiting team member to communicate the waiting time accurately to you & to offer you something to nibble on while you wait. I will be reviewing our complaint procedure with our waiting team to ensure such a break down in communication does not happen again.
England
“Expensive noisy and cold”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We ate here in November. The restaurant remains attractive since the redesign but has become very noisy, the tables are very close together, and if you are near the glass it is cold.
The menu is indifferent and terribly expensive for what it is
Oh , how we miss the old Gee's where there was elegance and usually pretty good interesting food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Since our refurbishment to make Gee's a more relaxed dinner venue we have been far busier than we previously were which has increased the volume of our main restaurant. I am very sorry that you found our restaurant cold, we aim to make all of our guests as comfortable as possible. I will ensure our under-seat heating is left on for longer during each shift.