“great food experience”
Review of Gee's Restaurant

Gee's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gee's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 629 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our 2013 transformation remains loyal to Gee’s traditions of providing quality food & service in the most beautiful restaurant in Oxford. Whether flooded with mid-morning sunlight or under Oxford’s evening sky, Gee’s is the place to enjoy exceptional food in unique surroundings. The tables on the outdoor terrace are surrounded by the dense foliage of topiary & potted plants – & if you like the plants, some are available for sale. The new interior is filled with trees, new furniture, soft colours & lighting.Of course the important aspect of the new Gee’s is the cooking. A brand new kitchen incorporates a wood fired oven & a charcoal grill; food acknowledges the continued interest in the origin of ingredients, seasonality & the variety & abundance of local Oxfordshire produce.Gee’s remains the place in Oxford to enjoy a fabulous meal. There are dishes for sharing & dishes in two sizes to suit different appetites & times of the day. Expect great food to suit every occasion, served by knowledgeable & friendly waiters, in this beautiful, iconic glasshouse in North Oxford.
Sandbach, United Kingdom
“great food experience”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was taken to Gees for the 1st time by friends, who live near Oxford last night 9th March. I had the pork chop with mashed potatoes and spinach followed by orange sorbet. The pork chop was probably the largest and leanest I have ever had and cooked to perfection and the mashed potatoes were smooth and creamy. I also had their home made bread which was very soft and fresh. The sorbet was made with blood oranges and was sweet and tangy at the same time. My friends were equally impressed with their meals and we shared a nice bottle of red wine followed by coffee. The service was excellent from the moment we arrived and we all thought it was also very good value.

• Visited March 2013
OxfordGees, Manager at Gee's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am glad that you and your friends enjoyed your time at Gee's. The pork chops were indeed very big! We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon. Thank you again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“So Gees has refurbished - ta dah”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

After the ta dah , we thought we would gingerly try Gees. We had brunch there today, and we arrived, were greated by a smily face and then taken to a nice table . All good. Then we were ignored for nearly 15 minutes, before somebody came to ask us for our drinks order. Now the food was fine and they accomodated all little requests well. But the lack of a forthcoming apology for ignoring us was rather disappointing. They had little excuse- they were not busy - just being busy with setting up for Mother's Day lunch.So why open for Brunch if you are going ot ignore your guests? We then waited another 7 minutes for the bill. YES using our time to pay them! What a bore. What is it with service in the City of Oxford?

3 Thank TheD-Ps
Thank you for your review. I am really sorry that you did not receive the service that you should have. We have a great team at Gee's who pride themselves on their levels of service. I know they were disappointed to see your comments and will learn from them. I hope you will return for brunch which is becoming more and more popular in order that we can show you how it should have been.
“Epic fail refit!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Gee's used to be a reliable good meal out in Oxford. I was eagerly looking forward to the refit so I took a visiting relative there looking for a relaxed night out catching up over some good food and wine. All I can say is that Gee's has been completely ruined! Extremely uncomfortable chairs, cramped feel, cheap cutlery and glasses. This was combined with a seriously pretentious menu and sub-standard food it made for a pretty un-enjoyable experience. If there are awards for epic fail refit of the year I think this would be a front runner. Annoyed me enough to write a review... grr come on Gee's get your act together!

• Visited February 2013
5 Thank Steve K
Thank you for your review. While we have certainly had comments about the chairs, which we will be changing shortly, we have also had many positive comments about the look and feel of the new Gee's. Many people have said how they felt the previous Gee's was too formal,staid and crowded. We have reduced the numbers of covers in the restaurant in order to create a more spacious feel. This is why the changes were made and we are pleased by the end product. Obviously this is always subjective. I am sorry that you felt the menu was pretentious. Thank you again for your comments and I promise the chairs will change soon!
Oxford, United Kingdom
“I so want to love it, but........”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

My second visit after the refit.

I so want to be positive and love the new fit out and menu, but I simply dont. I would grant 2.5 stars if I could not 2.

On seeing the plans, I was excited that there could be a more lively bar atmosphere in the area, but was concerned that the dining experience was going to be eroded and become the typical formulaic style place.

My observations: the bar is nice, but no offer to enjoy a drink before dining. They do a nice Bloody Mary too. Dining room, obscured by trees and seats far too "intimately" located for me.

The new menu. Tries to work on the keep it simple track, which is fine when you take that Italian, Mediteranean stance, but you need the best fresh ingredients, cooked well. I think based on our experience and from reading and hearing comments this point has been missed. I had a bizarre cut of Venison last night, very small and limited in meat content ( I feel someone weighed the joint and forgot the bone was 40% or so of the weight! It was also unevenly cooked, not bad but not great either. My wife had Chicken which tasted good but the accompanying fennel was uncooked. Wine list has been reduced from what was to one that is narrow and uninspiring, which suits the new menu to be honest.

I am saddened as I liked the old Gee's, food was OK, wine list better and a much nicer uncluttered atmosphere with subtle lighting, it was a more "special" place to go. The new set up is simply lacking any sparkle in either the food, wine or service.

Personally I would love to see a top quality dining offer in this area of Oxford. I would have loved to have seen a bold move; employ the chef and make the concept fit around that and support that success. What seems to have happened is to try and fit a menu and wine list around a budget. This sadly places Gee's in that ' just like anyother' category for me. Unrealised potential.

It's a special location, a special building which I think deserves something better than it has become.

3 Thank Jezblanc
Thank you for your review. The new Gee's is designed to be a much less formal, 'special occasion' place to go and we are pleased with the design. As ever, with changes, there will always be alterations to make as we get a feel for what works and what does not. For example we have already moved some of the trees to make the space work better. It seems that your meal was underwhelming and I am sorry for this. Your comments have been fed back to the kitchen and we will ensure that we use this to continue to improve.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“What are they thinking?”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have been going to Gees for over 20 years, it had always been the first choice if there was something to celebrate or just for a treat. It was top of my recommended list for my guest house guests wanting a special place for dinner. Prior to the refit, I had had 2 rather disappointing experiences however with a refit insight had given them the benefit of the doubt.
I went this week to see how things were....... Beautiful as always , though some of seats looked very uncomfortable for any length of stay, however our seats were fine.
The menu was interesting enough and on the face of it fairly priced. Our waitress explained the concept of mixing and matching the courses and was happy to answer any questions we had.
We ordered the scallops (£9 in think ) and 2 langoustine (£6 each) The scallops tasted ok but were vey gritty, the langoustine was good, but we had to ask for the appliance to open the claws, and they only had one, so we had to take it in turns! Next we had ordered the beef salad and a pizza (the waitress explained that the pizza wasn't huge which we were fine with) however it came out, looking so unappetising, was at best the size of my hand, and totally tasteless (£7.50) the beef salad was a plate of sliced cold beef (nicely cooked) with a sprinkle of rocket on the top, and a few capers, nothing else, underwhelmed is being polite..... We ordered the goats cheese to share for dessert, the cheese was nice but came with a relish that did not compliment it at all, and was left. We had a bottle of White wine and 1/2 red, we didn't pay for the pizza and still our bill was over £100! We went home and made toast!! I can honestly say (with great regret) that I will not be returning and I will no longer be recommending this as somewhere to go for any occasion.

7 Thank LolaOxford
Thank you for taking the time to review Gee's. I am sorry that the experience was not as it should have been. The new Gee's is designed to be a departure from the the previously formal Gee's and the dishes therefore much simpler in their style and presentation. That said if the quality was not good then we have not achieved our goal, even if they are simple. We have taken on board your comments and have reviewed the dishes in question.