“Old School Italian in Oxford”
Review of Luna Caprese - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
London, Canada
“Old School Italian in Oxford”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were seeking an alternative to English food and found Luna Caprese on line....the food and price were excellent and we enjoyed a delightful chat with the owner Luis. Not fancy, just good food.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Howard B

Bristol
“Good food, but very poor service”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A group of us went here with a friend for her birthday. The food was good, but they seemed to overcharge us, and wouldn't give us a proper bill so that we could check it.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank AndrewWBristol
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“A great, very hidden away Italian restaurant that only the locals know about”
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via Local Picks

Luna Caprese is one of the first places I think about when I am planning a special meal or occasion. I have had two absolutely inspiring meals here and one good, but not amazing meal. This is the only thing that stops me from giving Luna Caprese five stars as the food can be quite exceptional, cooked that day and all ingredients are clearly fresh. The staff are life-long restauranters who really know how to make you feel special, whether you are a big group or a couple enjoying a meal. The food is not cheap, but is incredibly authentic. I wouldn't recommend this venue for someone who is a fussy eater as you won't find pizza and endless pasta dishes on the menu. The specials are often the gems and may include venison escalope, special pasta and fish. The menu, whilst simple enough, does require some translating and could do with a polish (better descriptions would be good). Inside the restaurant the setting is very basic - small tables and chairs, some non-offensive Italian style music and plain tableware. It is sometimes difficult to understand why the prices are on the high side but the food was outstanding on my last trip. Expect to pay £70-80 for two with a bottle of wine and a meal (no starter).

3 Thank RussiB
Witney, United Kingdom
“a major disappointment.”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

by far the worst restaurant iv ever eaten at, bad food at a high price, fish was overcooked, ravioli overcooked, bad desserts, although the orange mirangue gateau was just about acceptable for its price, but everything was not, i feel like i have been ripped off.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Tom L
Ithaca, New York
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

One of the worst dining experiences of my life. To begin with, the pasta was not what I ordered, but I decided to eat it because attracting the attention of the server was next to impossible; then, on the bill, he overcharged me. I saw him eject a family of four from the restaurant, because the teenaged daughter tried to order a salad as a starter; he then laughed and boasted about his achievement to the remaining patrons. When I finally got to order, he left my table while I was still speaking, so I never did get around to ordering salad or water (thank goodness - that allowed me to leave after two courses). They also charged me for the bread and butter placed on my table, a trick I have not seen this side of Prague. If you are considering an evening out in Oxford, do yourself a favour and do not go to Luna Caprese.

• Visited August 2012