“Great family pub”
Review of The Fishes

The Fishes
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fishes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Fishes is a hidden gem. Quite a big gem, too. An imposing Victorian building set in acres of wooded grounds leading down to the banks of Seacourt Stream. The deck that wraps around the conservatory offers a rare opportunity in land-locked Oxford to dine outside with an idyllic view. In recognition of this, the Fishes was named Al Fresco Dining Pub of the Year in 2006, as well winner of The Public Vote in Oxfordshire Restaurant awards 2012 making it one of the best restaurants in Oxford.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Took my two young grandchildren there on a lovely day & we picnicked in their garden.The food was very good & quickly devoured by the young ones who then rushed off to the playground in the garden ,leaving the adults to enjoy their meal in peace!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Great surroundings and good ambience from relaxed and helpful staff. Food is always good value and tasty.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Fishes has always been close to the top of my list when I go back to Oxford to visit family and friends and have had enjoyed many very nice meals in the past. However last Saturday it appeared that the place had been taken over by the parents and kids from the local Nursery School. The noise coming from screaming kids and parents shouting over the top of the screams was unbelievable. As for the food, what a disappointment, we were five in number and not one of us enjoyed our food, at best we thought it average. My house special French cut rump steak was so chewy my jaw was still aching two days later,my wife's soup was stone cold and had to be sent back. The two bright spots were the excellent young waitress we had and the nice bottle of Melbec red but at £21 a bottle it did not come cheap.

1  Thank David W
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We visited the Fishes for a birthday party and shared a barbecue in the garden. The meat was of good quality, but a bit tepid by the time it got to us, and the coleslaw was over-heavy with rather tasteless mayonnaise. The main menu being served in the pub looked much more ambitious, and the place was packed, so I'd like to go back another time and see if that is better.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Fishes is great because the food is always very good for the money. I have been here with several people and the only complaint is that it's often a bit cold - they need to turn the heating up! I am particularly fond of their salads (as starter or main) with different grains and pulses in - a nice change from most places! I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice, not too special, place to eat.