“Terrific quesadilla!”
Review of Maxwell's - CLOSED

Maxwell's
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: "Maxwell’s is one of Oxfords longest established late night bar and grills. Maxwell’s has recently undergone a major refurbishment to deliver a fresh, industrial chic look for the 21st century. Famous for their burgers, maxwell’s stands by a winning formula of top notch service and a recently launch, exciting new food menu designed to appeal to all tastes. Boasting years of experience, the knowledgable Maxwell’s bar team produce exquisite drinks. They offer an extensive menu of over 50 cocktails, including new signature creations and fresh fruit twists on old classics. Add a well balanced wine and champagne list and a superb choice of beers – theres something for everyone. Late night and Maxwell’s transforms into one of Oxfords leading party venues. With spectacular sound and light shows and some of the industries finest DJ’s spinning there way through a broad array of musical genres, Maxwell’s generates the best party atmosphere in Oxford."
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I had only room for the quesadilla. The quesadilla and the salsa were fantastic! I recommend :-)

There are newer reviews for Maxwell's

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Having walked up and down Queen Street very many times over the past few years, I noticed Maxwell's for the first time, on the first floor opposite Marks and Spencers. As such, it is a hidden gem! A tedious shopping trip was transformed into leisurely family outing.

Service was excellent. Waiting staff were friendly, attentive and obliging. The menu was just the ticket (chicken Caesar salad, chicken cajun salad, child's hot dog) and did not disappoint.
We really were delighted with this place, although surprised by the lack of fellow diners. Their loss was our gain, as this resulted in staff ratios highly favourable to us. Why might they not be pulling in the punters? Well, the first clue was that I had not noticed the place in several years: signage at ground level needs to be improved substantially. The next clue was that I found myself upstairs asking for a menu, having walked straight passed the poorly advertised menu board at street level. Our next challenge was the staircase (no lift available): hardly pushchair friendly!

On getting upstairs, the restaurant is charming, if slightly industrial in atmosphere. The parquet floor has eroded to a good inch below the the polish level and consequently is too absorbent to have a hope of being clean.

Tables by the window have a commanding view of the street (including a passing military parade during our visit!). We were also blessed with fine weather ... and reliant upon the restaurant's cooling system, which consisted of 2 large, very noisy fans set into the windows. This was consistent with the industrial theme but neither effective nor atmospheric! Air conditioning (or quieter, more efficient fans at the very least) would surely be a shrewd investment.

I feel bad for including critical comments in this review, as overall we were very impressed with Maxwell's. Hopefully the reader will infer this from the overall score and reward Maxwell's with the custom it deserves.

WiFi: No :(
Baby change: No :( (stairs to restaurant and to toilets - not pushchair friendly)
Sticky tables: Yes :(

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Read some good reviews so took my family to Maxwell's. Boy did I regret it. Food was horrific and greasy and came in cold plates, so was lukewarm. Service was unfriendly and slow. Very dingy surroundings, terrible atmosphere. Bill turned out to be very expensive for what we actually ate (a meal in Al-Shami, an OK Lebanese restaurant in Jericho, with a big selection of meze, and wine, with the same number of people, cost far less than Maxwell's).
Hope this place disappears off the map before other people have to suffer.

2  Thank Irene L
Reviewed April 10, 2012

It's in a good spot, a bit of a "hard rock cafe" feel to it, not a classic Oxford restaurant, feels rather chain like but the food was fine and location is grand.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

After visiting Maxwells for dinner in a party of 11 last night, I will not be returning. I ordered Herb marinated chicken breast, with garlic mash and creamy mushroom sauce. The chicken breast was on a bone (?!) and slightly pink and the garlic mash ruined everything else on my plate. A friend ordered a rare steak with no chips (extra salad) and a red wine jus, the steak was well done, it arrived with chips and the red wine jus did not taste of any form of wine! Her meal was not sorted but instead they just brought an extra salad. The only meal which was applauded was the sandwich ordered.

As for the service, although the staff were efficient in bringing our food quickly, they expected us to pass food down to the other end of the table instead of walking around to take it to the right person. Apart from one friendly male waitor, the female waitresses mumbled so we were unable to hear what they were saying (in a loud atmosphere this is very irritating). On asked had we finished and was our food nice, I explained that it we had finished (all plates, apart from the sandwich, were half full) but the food was not what expected, especially the steak costing £13.00, they apologised and then left the food plates in front of us for another 20 minutes before collecting.

I will not return to Maxwells for food in th future, as a bar it is fine but their prices should be a lot lower as a chain restaurant that does not serve particularly great food. I think this place does well purely because of its prime position in Oxford.

2  Thank Emma-183