“Bad food, poor service”
Review of Maxwell's - CLOSED

Maxwell's
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: "Maxwell’s is one of Oxfords longest established late night bar and grills. Maxwell’s has recently undergone a major refurbishment to deliver a fresh, industrial chic look for the 21st century. Famous for their burgers, maxwell’s stands by a winning formula of top notch service and a recently launch, exciting new food menu designed to appeal to all tastes. Boasting years of experience, the knowledgable Maxwell’s bar team produce exquisite drinks. They offer an extensive menu of over 50 cocktails, including new signature creations and fresh fruit twists on old classics. Add a well balanced wine and champagne list and a superb choice of beers – theres something for everyone. Late night and Maxwell’s transforms into one of Oxfords leading party venues. With spectacular sound and light shows and some of the industries finest DJ’s spinning there way through a broad array of musical genres, Maxwell’s generates the best party atmosphere in Oxford."
Reviewed February 12, 2012

After visiting Maxwells for dinner in a party of 11 last night, I will not be returning. I ordered Herb marinated chicken breast, with garlic mash and creamy mushroom sauce. The chicken breast was on a bone (?!) and slightly pink and the garlic mash ruined everything else on my plate. A friend ordered a rare steak with no chips (extra salad) and a red wine jus, the steak was well done, it arrived with chips and the red wine jus did not taste of any form of wine! Her meal was not sorted but instead they just brought an extra salad. The only meal which was applauded was the sandwich ordered.

As for the service, although the staff were efficient in bringing our food quickly, they expected us to pass food down to the other end of the table instead of walking around to take it to the right person. Apart from one friendly male waitor, the female waitresses mumbled so we were unable to hear what they were saying (in a loud atmosphere this is very irritating). On asked had we finished and was our food nice, I explained that it we had finished (all plates, apart from the sandwich, were half full) but the food was not what expected, especially the steak costing £13.00, they apologised and then left the food plates in front of us for another 20 minutes before collecting.

I will not return to Maxwells for food in th future, as a bar it is fine but their prices should be a lot lower as a chain restaurant that does not serve particularly great food. I think this place does well purely because of its prime position in Oxford.

2  Thank Emma-183

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Good to go for happy hour for cheap cocktails. Food not bad either but when the music gets turned up I leave... just too loud to here people talking.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Great burgers - ive eaten here for years. Good for cocktails on a night out as well. I did try the cajun salmon which was just ok...not much cajun flavour so I would stick to the burgers. Downside is the rather cramped tables.

Worth going though.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

I've eaten at Maxwells before, and been fairly pleased. The food was good, but the service was mixed, although I was impressed by the effort that went into rectifying the mistakes made. I'd be pleased to see some things that aren't covered in cheese on the menu (surely a problem for the lactose intolerant?) but otherwise a good (large) meal- as long as you're hungry!

Reviewed December 2, 2011

We went to Maxwell's and ordered goats cheese salad (overcooked and oily) Chicken + Chips (only thig nice was chips) and a fajita (disguisting guacamole). A prosseco was provided but was EXTREMELY flat. Worst place in oxford we have been to.

2  Thank Jamie S