“The best college I have stayed at in Oxford”
Review of Keble College

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Keble College
Ranked #2 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Oxford
Essex
“The best college I have stayed at in Oxford”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I had a spotlessly clean and spacious room overlooking a wonderful large quadrangle. It was quiet and comfortable. The porter's lodge was welcoming and helpful. The breakfast was well cooked, hot and promptly served. The location of Keble is convenient. What more can one wish for?

Certainly it was better than several colleges where I have been given a room in a noisy spot and the food has been indifferent, or where the bed has been very elderly. On these occasions I have felt sorry for the poor student shortly to inhabit the room on a more permanent basis!

Considering the huge amounts that Oxford hotels seem to feel entitled to charge, Keble is very good value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MontpellierOne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Keble College. I had a Superior ensuite room and compared to other places I have stayed at in England, the room was enormous! I felt that I could really spread out and relax there. The room is really basic, but that didn't matter. The best part about staying here is that you get to eat breakfast in the Hall. I was in England for 3 weeks and eating in the Hall was one of my most memorable experiences. I highly recommend staying here. The room was very good value for my money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank teeb1770
New York City
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My daughter and I stayed in Keble College for one week and loved it. It was a bit out of town, but that made it quite. Along the route, we passed a nightly showing of Macbeth, Comedy of Errors and The Importance of Being Ernest, which we had to stop and see. One night we were allowed to have a fantastic meal in the spectactular dining hall. Perhaps the best meal we had in Oxford. Because it was a student dorm, the rooms and halls were quite spare, but also clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: floors are walk-up and quite spare and dark
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SPMDS
Leeds, UK
Reviewed July 25, 2011

It all depends what you are looking for. If it's luxury, then forget it; if it's up-to-the-minute decor and all mod cons - look elsewhere. The publicity is honest - you don't get TV, you don't get a trouser press. What you do get is a student bedsit. In my case it was in the older part of college, rather than the more recent buildings, and the college itself describes these rooms as 'homely' - where 'tired' might be more accurate. As a single room it was a good size, with ensuite; but the windows wouldn't stay open, and the fabric on the desk seat was very worn. The bed was OK. The room was, however, spotlessly clean, and well serviced.

I was an undergraduate at this University, though not at Keble, so the experience of breakfast in hall (and Keble has a very large hall indeed) had reminiscence value (ah, the soggy toast of yesteryear!), rather than the strikingly novel impression it clearly made on many of those staying there (a mixture of summer schools, conference and B&B guests). Service was very attentive, and the breakfast decent value for money.

The cost was very reasonable (for Oxford) at £60 per night, and though Keble is in many ways an oddity amongst the colleges, being relatively recent (not even 200 years old), and built of patterned brick not Cotswold stone. It is at the northern end of the university, but in easy walking distance of everything you might want to see.

Room Tip: The newer buildings are probably in a better state than the older - but have less atmosphere...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed in a family room, which consisted of two bedrooms joined by a small entry area and a bathroom, situated in the older section of the buildings overlooking the quad area. The rooms are basic, but clean with comfortable beds, the family room also had a fridge and tea/coffee making facilities. The hop on hop off bus route goes right past the door, which was handy, Keble is also situated only a short walk from the city centre. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Keble.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the older section
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Nearly-Fifty1961
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I stayed at Keble College with my two daughters (23 & 21) and wish we had discovered it when we first stayed in Oxford. It felt such a perfect base in this wonderful historic city. Instead of returning to a hotel at the end of our sightseeing & punting on the river we had the fabulous experience of actually staying in this beautiful college. Then to have a delicious cooked breakfast in the college dining room (Harry Potter style) really was out of this world!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank glen1
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Really wonderful location. It really is like a fairy tale location. You may be housed in the new wing, but if so don't worry as these rooms are still good. My only complaint was the food. Great quantity, but not great on the quantity. Would stay here again though.

• Stayed September 2010