“A disappointment but food was fine”

Parsonage Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Parsonage Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 640 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Ranked as the one of the best hotels in Oxford, the 17th century Old Parsonage Hotel and Parsonage Bar & Grill is situated in the heart of this historic city at the end of the beautiful boulevard St Giles. It is a couple of minutes walk from the Ashmolean & surrounded by some of Oxford's best restaurants & bars. The refurbishment early 2014 saw the addition of five bedrooms & a specially curated first floor library with terrace. Bedrooms & suites, 35 in all, are individually designed with marble bathrooms. The new-look Grill, Bar & Pike Room, retain their intimate, bohemian, clubby atmosphere, serving British classic dishes with a light, modern touch. The restaurant & terrace are open all day, enjoy our famous afternoon teas in the company of Oxford's academic & literary luminaries.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This restaurant has a good name, the food was well prepared and presented although the portion size less generous than I prefer. I was disappointed with the service which started poorly and deteriorated as lunch unfolded, I understand they were busy but the service was cold and unfriendly, considering their upmarket aspirations it was a shame to have spoilt the exerience. Not a place I will return to but I can see why some diners will like their attitude.

1  Thank SNRinLondon
There are newer reviews for Parsonage Bar & Grill

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The name says a lot. I've been there about 5 times in 2 years now, and it is always nice to come back. Old building with lots of character, stone and wood, the mismatched sets if tables and chairs and manor style wall pictures. Good for a romantic dinner, a small group of close friends or family, ideally who like better than average food. Short wine list (could do with a longer one), short menu (which is good) with classics and seasonal twists. Not cheap, but I've never been dissapointed so far.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

It was on our last day of our two week adventure through England and we were due for a proper high tea - that is where the old parsonage came in! We didn't have a reservation but were lucky to be seated - the place was pretty full. Tis a funny tradition in England to sit on the edges of eating areas facing the patrons eating in the middle of the restaurant - kind of like watching TV while you eat. I digress - the sandwiches were excellent, tasty and delicious - the scones with the cream and jam were divine - the sweets a great topper. The service was impeccable and the whole experience provided us with a nice parting memory of the best England has to offer!

1  Thank BunnyIzzy
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Some people may be put off by the 'gentleman's club' like environment, but don't! It is one of the most welcoming environments I have ever eaten in. I have been here several times, from lunch to dinner to drinks. The service is always impeccable and the food quality is British to the end, I highly recommend going in winter when the fire is lit and creating an atmospheric aroma!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a champagne afternoon tea which was very good. Not being a tea person I ordered coffee.

To my shock I was charged an additional £2.95 for the coffee. When spending £22.95 per head I thought this was disgusting as it is only hot water and beans surely the same as hot water and leaves.

Coffee drinkers beware!!!!

Staff lovely ambience cosy.