“Good Breakfasts”

The Parsonage Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Parsonage Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 686 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Ranked as the one of the best hotels in Oxford, the 17th century Old Parsonage Hotel and Parsonage Grill is situated in the heart of this historic city at the end of the beautiful boulevard St Giles. It is a couple of minutes walk from the Ashmolean & surrounded by some of Oxford's best restaurants & bars. The refurbishment early 2014 saw the addition of five bedrooms & a specially curated first floor library with terrace. Bedrooms & suites, 35 in all, are individually designed with marble bathrooms. The new-look Grill, Bar & Pike Room, retain their intimate, bohemian, clubby atmosphere, serving British classic dishes with a light, modern touch. The restaurant & terrace are open all day, enjoy our famous afternoon teas in the company of Oxford's academic & literary luminaries.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We enjoyed our breakfasts at Old Parsonage. Smoked salmon, bread and fruit on the basic menu was delicious, as well as a pot of tea. My husband enjoyed a full English breakfast.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were in Oxford for the day and went to have tea at the Old Parsonage Hotel. the atmosphere is very pleasant, tea was good, but we waited a bit for our food, and I thought the portions were very small. There were three of us for tea, and orginally they brought out our tray with two small scones on it. I told the waiter and he got us more scones, this time he brought six out. The desserts were very small, just no larger than small bites - I have had tea many times and I can say these were the smallest portions I have ever had. The food was very good though, I just wish there was a bit more of it. The tea was 16.50 pounds per person.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was looking for somewhere different to take my partner for his birthday we had done all the restaurants in little clarendon street and are always looking for new place to try. The Old Parsonage seemed like the perfect place to go. I booked online and even prepaid for a bottle of wine to be put on the table for us when we arrived. I was really looking forward to the meal.

When we arrived at The Old Parsonage we were greeted and seated at a lovely table for two in the restaurant except it turned out that we were directly underneath the air conditioning unit, we should have dressed for winter it was so cold! I asked the waiter if he could turn it down (or off) and he did so by turning it off.

When our food came out the starter (smoked salmon,poached duck egg and hollandaise sauce) was cold! The poached duck egg and the hollandaise was cold as if it had been sat in the kitchen waiting for someone to bring it out. The smoked salmon (although I know is meant to be cold) was just-taken-out-of-the-fridge cold which is a shame as smoked salmon is so much nicer when it's slightly warming to room temperature. The Main wasn't overly impressive I had chicken breast with mushroom and it was just that however the chicken was cooked very well, lovely and juicy. The waitress almost dropped the main meals on my boyfriend as she brought them to the table which I could have forgiven her for if I hadn't seen her do it to the table next to us just moments before. Maybe a little training needed for her I think.

Halfway through our meal another waiter turned the air conditioning back on and we began to freeze again. However this was rectified by the original waiter who turned it off again for us and had a word with the staff members not to turn it back on for the duration of our meal.

When we ordered coffee (one Latte and one Americano) we got one latte and one cappuccino. We didn't want to make a fuss so we quickly drank our coffees and asked for the bill.

Overall I would have expected a bit more from The Old Parsonage especially after spending £100 and now we have tried it would I go back or recommend it to a friend? I'm not sure I would.

1  Thank Traveller_Views
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had booked this for my husband's birthday based on the fact that it seemed to be the best restaurant for food and atmosphere in Oxford. It was further out of the centre than we thought and we took a taxi. When we arrived they had had power cut and the restaurant was in candlelight. No-one seemed to know what was happening and there was no-one in charge. The chap on reception said he only dealt with the hotel and had'nt a clue about the diners and then the barman who was friendly but not in charge said we could have a drink 'on the house' whilst we waited to see what was happening. After asking 3 different waiters and a chef whether there was likely to be food and being met with shrugs we sat outside and waited with our drink. Eventually yet another waitress said that the electricity was back on and she could take our orders shortly although there would be some delay as the kitchen was behind. We were happy to wait as it was a special occasion. However, the menu was extremely limited and was not the cordon bleu experience we expected - it was just like a simple brasserie menu and not even as good as the Italian we had visited the night before. But we decided on our order and waited. At 9.15 pm yet another waitress appeared and told us the gas burners could not be relit due to the powercut and we could only order starters and all the main courses required cooking. We therefore decided to leave and had to use our mobile to try and find another place to dine very late on a Sat and ended up going back to our hotel as no-on else could fit us in. As we left yet another waitress asked us for over £11 for our drinks which we had been offered free of charge and, in the circumstances, should have been free. We paid up and left. Power cuts happen and it was obviously unfortunate but there was no-one in charge, diners were getting upset as some were half way through their dinners and no-one made an announcement or seemed to know what was going on - it was a complete shambles and we would never go back as it is obviously not being run smoothly - how can you run a high-class restaurant with no-one in charge?

Reviewed September 6, 2013

As an experience The Old Parsonage delivered in all criteria.
The little outside area which we sat in was very attractive, with flowers and umbrellas. Service was faultless (though not in any way extraordinary).

We began the proceedings with a small but delicious charcuterie, a perfectly cooked duck egg, and heritage tomatoes with goat's curd - very easy to skim over on the menu, but this is definitely worth a try.

Then the mains. Pan fried salmon was very well cooked and presented, if a little small. Peach, lobster and avocado salad just needed some dressing to bring it to life, but the flavours worked well. Sirloin steak was run-of-the-mill but nonetheless enjoyable, and the same goes for the lemon sole.

The Parsonage is not a five-starrer by any means. It is however, well worth a visit. Tiny niggles aside, this place was excellent on food, wine, service and atmosphere. If these are all on the money, the...generously-proportioned price tag can be forgiven.

1  Thank Sam H