“Happy Valentine dinner”
Review of Brasserie Blanc

Brasserie Blanc
Ranked #11 of 680 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This was our first Brasserie Blanc which opened over 21 years ago when Raymond Blanc was just a boy! Now with a truly beautiful new look, we are open every day from breakfast right through to dinner, and everything in between. We love it here in the heart of the Jericho area of Oxford where we serve real French food in our relaxed and welcoming, light filled space. The restaurant is always buzzing with our many regulars, new faces and the many tourists visiting this charming part of the city. Ask about our private dining room if you have a special occasion in mind or if you want a meeting space with great French coffee on tap.
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This wasn't my first time at Brasserie Blanc, but was really special. The stunning cooking, the presentation of every dish, the professional attention and the great atmosphere made my Valentine day perfect! <3

ps: next time I will sit away from the window, was a little bit cold!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We always enjoy our meal at Brasserie Blanc, but the one we had to celebrate our Valentine weekend was outstanding. The staff were so helpful and friendly, going out of their way to ensure the meal consisted of exactly what we wanted. The food was exceptionally well prepared and really tasty.The wine list was such that we could easily pick a matching wine to our food. We do like the frequent dinner cards as the points we had accrued meant we could have a £40 discount! Overall it was a very good meal.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was thoroughly unimpressed by my meal here, and I'm surprised that this restaurant has managed to get such great reviews. I've been to a lot of restaurants more expensive than this one, but none which I would consider so over-priced - the food, for what we paid, was disappointing. The snails were far too garlicky, and probably the worst I've ever tasted (I've been to quite a few French restaurants before, and I always order snails). The chateaubriand was admittedly delicious, but then you would expect that for £50, and the dauphinoise potatoes and the apple tart were fine but not particularly exceptional.

This wouldn't have bothered us much, but what really spoiled the experience was the attitude of our waiter, and of the restaurant as a whole. It seemed that they wanted to squeeze every possible penny out of us, to the point where it almost bordered on deceitful. When we sat down, the waiter offered us some water and a bread basket, phrased in such a way that we thought they would be complementary. At a restaurant of this price range, I would certainly expect a basket of bread to be complementary, and for the waiter to offer it without mentioning anything about the price seemed very poor form to me. Then, our steak came with no sides or sauces - you have to order them separately, and they cost extra (as if £50 weren't already enough). The side dishes were tiny, and are clearly intended for one person each - a fact which was completely omitted from the menu. My partner and I ordered dauphinoise potatoes, expecting one decent-sized dish which we would share between us, but instead we were brought two small dishes - which meant that we had to pay twice as much as we had actually asked for. I haven't been to any other restaurant where this happens, and I would at the very least expect it to be explained either on the menu or by the waiter.

All this left quite a bad taste in the mouth. I wouldn't have minded had the food been less expensive - but I feel that, when you're paying this much for your meal, certain things like bread and side dishes should be complementary, and if they're not then this should at least be explained by the waiter or on the menu. And the food wasn't good enough to justify the price. Suffice to say, we won't be going here again. For French food in Oxford, go to Pierre Victoire instead - it's cheaper, friendly, tastier and a much better experience all-round.

3  Thank E M
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This definitely is one of the best places for dinner in Oxford, Service is professional and efficient. The food of high quality and the price is right.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Four of us for dinner and the general opinion was that it was the best meal yet. Chicken confit was smooth and well textured but snails didn't need a crust (which made them dry) and would have been better with butter and garlic instead. Barbary duck was cooked to perfection as were the vegetables and superb gratin dauphinoise potatoes. Baby turbot was excellent and slid off the bone. Extra french beans were al dente. Good double expressos and house red and white wines completed a very enjoyable meal, as did the £25 discount!