“Good value”
Review of Brasserie Blanc

Brasserie Blanc
Ranked #10 of 680 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This was our first Brasserie Blanc which opened over 21 years ago when Raymond Blanc was just a boy! Now with a truly beautiful new look, we are open every day from breakfast right through to dinner, and everything in between. We love it here in the heart of the Jericho area of Oxford where we serve real French food in our relaxed and welcoming, light filled space. The restaurant is always buzzing with our many regulars, new faces and the many tourists visiting this charming part of the city. Ask about our private dining room if you have a special occasion in mind or if you want a meeting space with great French coffee on tap.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I went here for dinner with three colleagues. The table we'd reserved was nicely placed in the center of the main area. We ordered the Loch fyne mussels for starters, which were served in a mussels pot. The waiter also brought us each a small bowl with water and a slice of lemon, which was very thoughtful. The mussels were cooked in a white wine and cream sauce and tasted very good.
I had the grilled salmon for main course, which was served in a choron sauce. Also very tasty. My colleagues ordered the grilled scallops, 9 oz rump steak and the slow cooked beef in red wine. They enjoyed their main course as well as i did.

I only had tea for dessert, but two of my colleagues went for the baked alaska. The grand marnier inside the cake was a bit too much though, causing them to not finish it all unfortunately.

Overall experience was very good here, service by the staff was swift and professional. The prices were reasonable as well. Would love to come back again if only for the mussels!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hmmm not sure about this one. Have been with friends and food was good then went with husband and was very underwhelmed and found some of the staff a bit haughty. Will try again now weather is getting colder hopefully will be better.

1  Thank Poppy W
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We love this restaurant. The food is simple, yet superbly presented and delicious and the atmosphere relaxed but still sophisticated. And it is surprisingly reasonably priced. It is a favourite of ours and makes many other places to eat in Oxford seem rather average by comparison. I'm looking forward to a birthday treat there in a few weeks time.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was expecting something really amazing at Brasserie Blanc - but failed to get it. Went for a business lunch with 4 work colleagues. We had reservations but the table they set aside for us was awkward and really just for four people with an extra chair. I expected a better table since we had booked. There were round tables to be had, so we could have spoken to one another - as it was I couldn't really engage with the folks at the other end. Restaurant wasn’t full - not sure why table was so bad.

Didn't order a starter, but two of the party did. Looked nice and was a decent portion size. We also ordered aperitifs. Very freshly-made tapenade and a small dish of a balsamic vinegar reduction with olive oil and a garlic mayonnaise. Could've take or left the mayo.

Ordered scallops which were cooked to perfection and very sweet. Cooking scallops is very difficult but they were great. Two of us had beef bourgignon, looked and smelled lovely, another had grilled salmon and chips and the last had grilled hake. My truffle mash was tasty and I thought good value for the quality and quantity of food.

We didn’t get on so well at pudding. Cutlery for starters was not cleared in front of me. Then the server reached right in front of my boss who was just about to put something in his mouth – this is where the awkwardness of the table arrangement let us down (the server could not reach some of us). Also as I ordered cheese (which I often do) I was not told what each of the cheeses was as I am accustomed to. I was a little disappointed by this. I also found them to be a little stingy with only providing 4 water biscuits for what were 4 largish pieces of cheese.

Not sure if I would go back again to this location. We waited ages in the door for someone to receive us, the table was awkward (seating 5 isn’t that difficult is it?) and service was a little sloppy. Setting that aside food was good value for money & very tasty.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

A perennial favourite which never fails to meet expectations. Wonderfully French atmosphere with impressive service from first rate staff plus the food is always delicious. The menu changes regularly and focuses on seasonal ingredients. If they are on the menu, the fishcakes are superb. Children are well catered for but not patronised with kids meals. Excellent value for money considering the standard of the food. (You would pay twice as much at the White Hart at Fyfield)