“A lovely dinner, worth a second visit” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fishers - CLOSED

Fishers
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Oxford
“A lovely dinner, worth a second visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Went to Fishers with a LivingSocial deal for two lobsters and a glass of prosecco for £29. It was excellent value and they allowed me just to pay for the rest of the bottle of prosecco so all in all was cheap.

It being a Wednesday, the restaurant was pretty quiet so there was not much atmosphere. The lobsters weren't the best or biggest but the sauce was good. We had mussels to start which were big and juicy and had some chips and salad to go with the lobsters. The chips were excellent, but the salad was unnecessary as the lobsters came with some green leaves.

Service was a bit below average. They forgot to bring the water we asked for and we had to ask for nut crackers and those little fork things for eating lobsters, they also did not replace our cutlery or napkins. This would have been ok if the restaurant was heaving, but as we were one of about 5 tables, seemed a bit lazy.

All in all it was a worthwhile visit, and I will definitely go again for another meal from the a la carte menu. However, I'd suggest going on a weekend evening if you want some ambience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

uk
“A lovely Sunday lunch...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We've been to Fishers before, indeed we always go there when we're in Oxford. Today's lunch was as lovely as always. My wife's cod in chorizo sauce with mussels and new potatoes was perfectly cooked, it was creamy and zesty, and they resisted the temptation to go overboard with the chorizo, it was subtle and flavoursome and very comforting on a freezing cold Sunday. My tuna was cooked to perfection, very rare, exactly as I asked, with a great balsamic dressing, a lovely caramelised onion chutney, and a crisp rocket salad. A bowl of spot-on triple fried chips on the side complimented it perfectly. The desserts were lovely too, a creamy sharp/sweet lemon posset with lovely sable biscuitsfor herself and a nicely balanced cheeseboard for me. The service was good too, not rushed, though attentive and knowledgeable. We will definitely be back.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Friday lunch menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

An impromtu lunch on a Friday afternoon. Greated by a friendly waitor who seemed genuinely interested in making sure we enjoyed our lunch. We had the 2 course lunch - herring starter and salmon starter and then pollock and fish soup for main. The starters were brought out promptly and both tasted delicious. The mains were excellent and the large pieces of fish in the soup were cooked to perfection and not overcooked as is often the way in soup. Very reasonably priced and highly recommended.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Excellent fish restaurant to visit again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Although it was a Sunday night the restaurant was fairly busy and had a nice atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and the menu choice was good. I tried the house white wine and enjoyed it. All of our party enjoyed their meals. Whilst not cheap at approx £30 per head, we enjoyed our visit and will come again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“....very disappointing..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had been wanting to get to Fishers for quite a while and thought as we were staying overnight in the High street and going to a gig at the Town Hall it would be an excellent opportunity.
Unfortunately even though an early sitting suited us the fact that it was Valentines probably ruined the dining experience.
The menu was set and although the dishes were actually quite good (I had lemon sole and my boyfriend had sea bass ) the atmosphere felt 'rushed'.
What spolit the evening was that the restaurant seemed to be overbooked/full and I have to say the service was a little chaotic to say the least (although our waiter was ok).
What I did find quite amusing was that we were told our table was rebooked for 8.30 (I wanted to leave by 8 anyway but didn't get out until 8.45! )
Trying to get our coats back took 20 minutes ! There were people standing waiting everywhere ...waiting to leave or waiting to be seated...or waiting for lost coats.....the lady at head of house seemed completely out of her depth and her people skills left a lot to be desired....... complete chaos!
Not sure if i'd make the effort again,a real shame though as we both love fish and I had such high hopes :-/

• 1 of 5 bubbles