“Lovely pub with great food”

The Prince of Wales
Ranked #234 of 813 Restaurants in Oxford
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went here for the first time with my husband and two four year olds. Staff were friendly, a great selection of food, and amazingly clean toilets. They had a kids menu with a good selection on and brought over colouring sheets and crayons. My two went for pizza, while us adults had the Welsh rarebit with chips and onion rings. Then went for a lovely walk along the river afterwards. Would definitely return

1  Thank Creativeluce
Write a reviewReviews (133)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is in Iffley a charming village South of Oxford above Iffley lock. A very welcoming atmosphere. Great range of beers both UK and elsewhere.
The food, while traditional was very tasty and properly cooked. We had the delicious posh fish pie and equally delicious Steak& stilton pie. Both come with vegetables.The wine list is quite good too.
The current owners have transformed this from a boarded up wreck to a very attractive, warm English pub. A great evening. Thanks.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice village pub, great for a drink. Food is awful and overpriced.
I ordered the steak pie off the specials board which cost £15.95, when it arrived it was a bowl of mash veg and meat, no pie in sight. I asked the bar man if it was right, he went off and came back saying it was the new pie layout.
Considering the price I questioned it again and received the same plate of slop with a small rectangle of pastry. My wife’s chicken burger was terrible as well.
Lovely pub for a drink avoid the food.

1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

We discovered this lovely pub on a walk around Iffley Village, to see the stunning, Norman church. We'd had a less than satisfying, late lunch at an event at the nearby Hawkwell House Hotel, so decided to have a light supper there.

The barman was charmingly unfazed by my request for tea (as I HAD had plenty of alcohol at the do, and was "gasping for a cuppa"!). It came on tray, with a pot, jug of milk and a biscuit.

There was an extensive menu, including specials on the blackboard. We chose pea and ham soup, and a pulled pork and ham terrine. Both came with two types of presumably home-made bread: tomato, and olive. We were both extremely happy with our dishes, and my husband particularly liked the little bowl of piccalilli on the side.

The decor is attractive, and the outside area looks pleasant. They seem to have lots of events going on, including a pub quiz on a Friday. Definitely worth a visit, if you are in the area.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 2, 2019

Three of us went here for drinks and dinner. The garden was a very nice spot to sit, drink and chat - it was late afternoon and there were few people. The barman was pleasant and made a fine Pimms.

We went in for dinner at about 6 - it was filling up, but we had no problem getting a table. There was a good selection of food on the menu and specials board. Orders are taken at the bar, and it was there I encountered the landlady. Other reviews mention her - I will say that she is a bit brusque and unsmiling, but I didn't find her actually rude.

The mains we ordered - two fish grills and a sausage & mash - were very tasty, as were the deserts (ice cream assortment and fruit crumble). Things did get a little hectic and noisy as time went on, since the place was very busy.

Overall, a pleasant evening with good food - but I suggest you come early or book a table if you plan to eat, as people were having to wait 30-45 minutes for tables. In fact, the landlady stopped taking any mains orders for 45 minutes because of demand (we were still able to get dessert).

Date of visit: August 2019