“Could have been even better”

Bill Spectre's Ghost Trails
Ranked #4 of 47 Tours in Oxford
More attraction details
Owner description: NOT just any old Oxford ghost tour - BILL SPECTRE cordially invites you to join him on his AWARD WINNING THEATRICAL TOUR of Oxford's ghosts. Illustrated with props and illusions your costumed guide will entertain and horrify you through the streets of one of the most historical and haunted cities in Britain. On Fridays and Saturdays meet him outside the gift shop of Oxford Castle Unlocked at 6.30pm, or directly outside The Visitor Information Centre on Broad Street at 6.55pm. Group bookings at other times available in Oxford, Burford, Woodstock and Stratford on Avon.
Reviewed March 27, 2013

You can't hate on Bill Spectre, the guy is a hard-working stalwart who clearly enjoys camping it up and entertaining punters with his excellent, panto-baritone voice and his penchant for ghoulish tales and magic (the winding finger trick was great).

I can't say anything positive that hasn't been said elsewhere, but I will say that there were a few weak moments that broke the third wall and sort of ruined the mood a bit.

My brother (a ghost walk afficienado) and I did the Halloween tour in 2012. During this set Mr. Spectre's phone went off which was pretty unprofessional. The worst part was that rather than make a joke of it, or link it to the story he was telling about the bell tower (which then also started chiming), he totally lost his thread and started mumbling to himself before attempting to actually take the call. That probably could have been handled a bit better.

Another moment, was Mr. Spectre asked us all to try and summon some spirits. Just at the climax of this routine, the wind began to blow heavily in the trees which made everyone a bit tense and nervous. Instead of exploiting this, Bill just seemed to ignore it and carry on with the less impressive planned "bit" he was doing. Again, it felt like a better showman would have made more of the fact his spirit summoning seemed to be working for real.

They are minor quibbles about what was an otherwise entertaining and unforgettable evening; I just think Bill can take it to the next level by improving his improvisational skills.

2  Thank neurotictraveler
ghostlybill, Owner at Bill Spectre's Ghost Trails, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Firstly thank you for taking the trouble to write your review, I always appreciate feedback as I'm keen to ensure the trail is as entertaining as possible. As a performer I have to judge whether or not to improvise around external goings on, will it improve or spoil the atmosphere? I don't always get this right as sometimes the 'goings on' are far enough away from me to misjudge how much of an impact it might have had on the majority of the audience, I can only say I do my best to play along as seems appropriate at the time. I'm sorry if you felt I got it wrong that night. My phone ringing was annoying but this is partly as I'm lo-tech and hadn't got to grips with it, I now have an easier phone! As you came 5 months ago I can't remember exactly what happened that night but will do my best to take on board what you have said. Thanks again for your feedback and I hope we get to meet again one day. Best wishes, Bill

There are newer reviews for Bill Spectre's Ghost Trails

Reviewed March 25, 2013

extremely funny and entertaining. Very nice thing to do in the evenings if you are not into pubs and late-night shopping.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Bill Spectre is simply the best tour guide I have met - and I'm a tour-guide myself! I've been on his tour three times now, and will continue to bring friends along to his tour. Excellent entertaining stuff - funny, informative, dramatic, and he got us all joining in. Highly recommended. Well done, Bill.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Billed as the only theatrical ghost tour of Oxford, Mr Spectre provides a fun, fact filled entertaining tour. Despite the pouring rain Bill kept the entire group interested in the dark side of Oxford and even provided umbrellas and macs for the audience.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a fabulous time on this ghost trail. Bill is the perfect guide and he charmed our whole group. Informative, interesting, fun with a dash of 'magic' and lots of humour. Recommended +++++ !