“Perfectly situated a 4 minute walk from Train station.”
Review of Becket Guest House

Becket Guest House
Ranked #57 of 80 Oxford B&B and Inns
Taipei, Taiwan
“Perfectly situated a 4 minute walk from Train station.”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Really easy to find from train station, owners were very accomodating. I was arriving a little late so allowances were made for me to let myself in.
Breakfast was fine, location is perfect; really central- a 5min walk to get to shopping centre/restaurants/etc. I was in area for an interview, I was really impressed by how helpful the owners were. I was given a spare key so that I could come and go as I pleased throughout the day to collect my rucksack after my interview and get changed before heading back on train. This was hugely helpful for me.
The only point I'd make was that if you are particularly tall, the shared bathroom won't be suitable for you. The shower was the perfect height for me- I'm 5'7', but if you're any taller you're going to have to hunch over in the shower. I had a small single room which was fine as I just needed a bed for the night; I had everything I needed; bed, hair dryer, tea/coffee facilities, wifi, tv, warm room, wardrobe to hang clothes.
If anything, you could say the decor was a little tired. But I got everything I needed; perfectly situated B&B, clean with great hosts. I slept really well, it is near the train station so you can't expect total silence; If you want something perfect, you're going to have to pay more for it. If I was back in the area, I'd be back.

Room Tip: As long as you're no taller than 5'7' the shared bathroom is fine if you're on a bud...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nicbing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2011

A lovely welcome was received on arrival and the owners were very accomadating to the fact we were an hour earlier than expected.. our room was ready which was great! We arrived into Oxford by train which is opposite Becket House. Our room was ok, very dated and not particularly clean with a sink in the room, our bathroom was downstairs 2 flights.. I had the worst nights sleep here ever, I just did not feel comfy in the room at all. We spent most of the day out and arrived back just after midnight. We got up for breakfast which for beans on toast was a real let down!! We were sat at the train station waiting for our train with an hour to go due to wanting to get out!! NOT GREAT!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Princessperkzy
Ancona, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,701 helpful votes
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Perfect position (if you're travelling by train), friendly, helpful people, very good breakfast, at reasonable price. Slept well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ELear
Oshima-gun China-cho, Japan
Reviewed July 30, 2011

this BAB was excellent the location was great very close to the train station and very close to the city center the room we stayed in was very comfortable. also the briefest was very good we enjoyed our stay here very much great for money because its in the middle of oxford and usually its more expensive.

1 Thank harrold1121610
Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 21, 2011

A lovely little guest house with very frindly owners. yes, the rooms and the house are a bit old but really well maintained and very clean. It just addes to the atmosophere. We would prefer this kind of accomodation anytime to a sterile hotel. Great breakfast to set you up for the day. Very convienient location - only a short walk into town.
Well, we feel in love with Oxford and we will for sure be back and we will make sure we stay at the Becket Guest House again.
Thanks guys.

1 Thank Karin-Oliver
London
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I cannot fault the location. I had trouble booking direct with the owner and eventually did it via an agency. Becket House wasn't impressive from the outside; a broken window that has been taped up months if not years ago lacks kerb appeal. We had a double en-suite room. It was clean but for the money it was in very poor decor and repair. It had a random collection of old, cheap, (some broken) mis-matched furniture. The paper was peeling off the walls and ceiling and the paint chipped. Electrical cables were just run round the walls and nailed in place. One ran across the floor. There was green algae growing on the taps. To take our mind off the algae pictures had been cut out of a magazine and glued to the wall. The TV (which was new and worked well) was immediately to the right of the bed so you couldn't watch it from there. The bed linen was old and grey and the blankets were like something you give to the dog. They didn't look clean although I don't doubt they were. There was absolutely no cushioning in the mattress or pillows. Everything in the room looked to be the cheapest and any repair or decoration was the standard of amateur DIY. The owners appear to have tried to deflect the shabbiness by sticking pieces of contemporary furnishing, decoration and fittings here, there and everywhere. There was very little street noise but the property generated plenty of its own. It seems that some of the en-suites (like ours) have a Sani-flo/macerator toilet that deafens and shakes the room when you flush and from early morning I could hear and feel them going. Combined with people who didn't have an en-suite walking up and down stairs on paper thin, un-cushioned carpets and it was difficult to sleep past 7 AM. The breakfast room was light and tidy. Breakfast was OK but I've had much better. The couple who served us, who I presume are the owners, we very pleasant and chatty. I have seen several comments that say for the location the price it is very reasonable. We spotted a few B&B's while walking round that were in the same sort of central locations and same price bracket, so shop around. Apart from a good location and friendly couple there's nothing at all to recommend this place.

Room Tip: Oxford is easy for walking and buses
1 Thank Balgownie

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Bristol, England
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Following recommendation, I e-mailed to enquire about reservation later this month. As no response I telephoned the next day. Proprietor (Marie) said that she "needed 24 hours" to check availability, due to illness and possible overbookings by staff! I gave her the benefit of the doubt, but no response the next day. Sorry, but it really should not be that difficult to open a diary (manual or electronic), check bookings and confirm/decline without delay. I have taken my business elsewhere.

Stayed June 2011