“it's not too good but not too bad.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Richmond Hotel

and 1 more site!
Richmond Hotel
Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“it's not too good but not too bad.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

It is good in overall as I cannot find the negative point about it. The internet is great which is free wi-fi with strong signal. The downstairs is the restaurant where they serve breakfast that is not too bad--the taste and decoration of the place.

Overall, it is clean simple and cozy room for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank curitibanaauska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights with my teen daughter and have absolutely nothing to complain!

The location is secure and convenient, the room was really nice and service impeccable.

I strongly suggest choosing the Lebanese breakfast instead of the English one. Al-Shami restaurant downstairs is also much worth a visit.

We'll definately stay here if ever go back to Oxford.

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank mrs_eskola
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights over Christmas in 2012, and enjoyed ourselves very much. Just one night this time, while visiting family in Jericho, but the same pleasant welcome, comfortable warm room, fluffy towels, and delicious Lebanese breakfast in the atmospheric Al Shami restaurant below.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Pererin
San Anselmo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I recently spent five nights in Oxford, UK, with my tourist hat on, and was fortunate to have The Richmond Hotel as my base of operations. It's a quirky gem, set in the quiet, residential Jericho district, a short 10 minute walk from the major tourist destinations and the bus station. It was a pleasure to see, every time I passed Westminster College and turned left on The Richmond Road, a sign with drawings of a smiling Bobbie and a happy family, announcing "This is a NEIGHBORHOOD," as a way of calling attention to the 20 KPH speed limit sign below. I would smile and think, "Yes...and I live here too!" It was also fun to discover that The Richmond Hotel was a mere 4-5 minute walk from a Sunday afternoon swing dance with a live band at a nearby pub, and a Monday evening blues night at another.

The hotel is perched above a marvelous Lebanese restaurant, Al-Shami. There is no separate hotel reception area, but I let them know my estimated arrival time and was greeted warmly at the restaurant by David, the hotel manager. I had checked in by email, so he merely ran my credit card and showed me to my room. The room was surprisingly spacious and nicely furnished with inlaid furniture, the bed was comfortable, and both the room and en-suite bathroom were squeaky clean. There was a strong wireless signal, 4-Star hotel quality towels and a small flat screen TV. The Richmond is an exceptional value...I couldn't find any other establishment, within close walking distance of the University and the colleges, which offered anything near a 50 Pound per night en-suite room.

I'm a vegan, and David had asked the restaurant, which fulfills the breakfast part of B & B, to modify the usual Lebanese breakfast option to suit my needs. There is also a standard breakfast option of omelettes and toast, along with cold cereals and juice. I also ate most of my dinners at Al-Shami, since it's a treat to find a restaurant which serves many dishes which are inherently vegan, and not just substituting vegan items for non-vegan. Between the room, the restaurant, and David's gracious manner and extremely helpful suggestions and directions, my stay at The Richmond Hotel was very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Mark K
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at the Richmond Hotel just for the one night and it was worth every penny. We arrived at the hotel at about 12:30. Since the check-in time is from 15:00 we thought we would just leave our luggage there and go for a walk in the city until our room is ready. However to our pleasant surprise, the owner kindly asked us to have a seat and wait a few minutes so that he could check if our room was ready. He was back shortly asking if we could follow him since we could take our room straight away. He not only opened the door for us but also showed us where we can find the towels, how we can adjust the heating, etc. He even gave us a basic map of the city centre and some tips regarding nice restaurants and bars for which we were very grateful. The hotel had an excellent location, it took us about 10 minutes to walk to the centre. The furniture in the room was a little bit worn (except for the bed which was in perfect condition) but everything was very clean. All in all, we were happy with what we got for our money and would go back anytime.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CityExpl0rers
Sastamala, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We, a family from Finland (6 adults), had a wonderful holiday in Oxford and it was made possible by having accommodation for 5 nights in The Richmond Hotel. Rooms are cozy and clean. It's located in peaceful area with no disturbing traffic having short walking distance (approx 10 min) to the center of Oxford. Restaurant Al-Shami has tasty English and Lebanese breakfast to choose and is also a very good choice for having a simple or full course dinner. Service is very friendly and professional in both the restaurant and in the hotel. And the 'inn keeper' David seems to have his heart in taking care of his guests and he also gave us many useful tips for exploring Oxford and Jericho area. Last but not least the cost level is very low compared the standards of the hotel. I'm sure we couldn't have made a better choice.

Room Tip: For longer stay (at least for a week) try to book as early in advance as possible because the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Richmond was just right for our 3 nights in Oxford. Convenient location, basic but quite adequate room, effective service from all staff, and excellent tips from David. The associated restaurant "Al Shami" well deserves its fine reputation. We much enjoyed breakfast there as well as a number of other meals.

Room Tip: We stayed during a heat wave -- fortunately, in north-facing room on first floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple