“By far the best restaurant in Oxford” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oxford Kitchen

The Oxford Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oxford Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 622 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: European, British, International, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: RELAXED FINE DINING IN SUMMERTOWN, OXFORD: In its short history, The Oxford Kitchen has become recognised by diners and critics as one of the most exciting food outlets in the city, with fine modern British menus built around the inspired creations of Executive Chef John Footman. The restaurant's contemporary, intimate and friendly atmosphere is ideal for sampling the range of in-house pre-dinner cocktails, made with fresh, local ingredients. Tasting, À La Carte and Set Menus, designed to surprise and delight are complemented by a carefully compiled wine list. Brunch is served on Saturday and Sunday from 9: 00 AM - 11 AM. Sunday Lunch from 12:00, accompanied by live jazz.
Edmond, Oklahoma
“By far the best restaurant in Oxford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I have spent many summers in Oxford and we had never found a really good restaurant in Oxford. We discovered tonight that Oxford now has a really good restaurant. Our dinner at Oxford Kitchen was, by far, the best meal we have ever had in Oxford and perhaps anywhere in England. The menu is posted on their website and what was posted on the website was the current menu. They also had two special "mains" which were not on the menu. The quality and presentation of all our dishes was very good. As an amuse bouche we were given a small glass of gazpacho with a bit of foam on top. It was very nice. The people at the table next to us ordered coffee and they were served a dish of chocolates with their coffee.

The ambiance is upscale casual but many of the men were wearing jackets and/or ties. The upstairs dining room is air conditioned and the temperature was pleasant although it had been almost 80 degrees in Oxford this afternoon. The level of conversation and noise was such that we could easily talk to each other during the meal. There were no large or noisy groups.

The service as good. Attentive but not overly so. Our three courses came to us at a good pace which was not rushed but not too slow. In addition to our three courses, my husband had two large glasses of wine and I had a kir royale. The bill came to 100 pounds which is about what we would pay for comparable quality and presentation in the States. We are very happy that Oxford now has a really good restaurant and we highly recommend the Oxford Kitchen..

4 Thank CarolynT5849

• Chinese (Traditional) first
England
“Expensive, but very pleasantly memorable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Friendly staff. Tip is included in the bill. Great complimentary appetiser. Small-ish portions, but very great taste.

2 Thank BigShef
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Well that was a nice surprise...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I ended up for here for lunch thanks to a surprise my sister had organised for me. As I work close by I had been wanting to try this place for a while. I'd heard good things so I was delighted. The menu on closer inspection didn't seem to exciting- the set menu offer a choice of 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts or you could switch a course for a glass of wine. My sister & friend took the option of the salmon main & glass of wine, while I picked the off menu and had the duck pizza.
Goes to show, don't judge a book by its cover! The descriptions might have been simplistic but the food was art. The presentation was excellent, and if I hadn't been so full I could have eaten anyone of those pizzas! My regret is that we didn't get a dessert - the table next to us did and there was some serious food envy. The service was great - not too in your face, but always close by - and very friendly. Think I'll have to pop back for dinner soon!
Tip = in good weather, get there early for a table outside, but do be aware that its on the pavement near the road.

4 Thank CarannaW
Oxford, United Kingdom
“The best food in Oxford!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Oxford Kitchen is a must for anyone visiting Oxford. The food was outstanding in its quality and beautiful presentation. We had dinner there last night and the trip advisor reviews were spot on. The staff are friendly and the service very efficient. Congratulations and we will be back soon!

2 Thank Margie P
Bicester, England, United Kingdom
“Wow, just wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We went without our daughter but in hindsight she would have loved the children's menu too. As for the food, incredible. A lovely (and unbelievably reasonable) set menu we had the bream which I thought was beautifully presented and with flavours to match, lamb which was again a pretty dish full of flavour almost a summery roast dinner with the piperade and a simply amazing treacle tart!! We will be back!!

Visited July 2014