“Expensive, but very pleasantly memorable”
Review of The Oxford Kitchen

The Oxford Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oxford Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: RELAXED FINE DINING IN SUMMERTOWN, OXFORD: In its short history, The Oxford Kitchen has become recognised by diners and critics as one of the most exciting food outlets in the city, with fine modern British menus built around the inspired creations of Executive Chef John Footman. The restaurant's contemporary, intimate and friendly atmosphere is ideal for sampling the range of in-house pre-dinner cocktails, made with fresh, local ingredients. Tasting, À La Carte and Set Menus, designed to surprise and delight are complemented by a carefully compiled wine list.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Friendly staff. Tip is included in the bill. Great complimentary appetiser. Small-ish portions, but very great taste.

2  Thank BigShef

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I ended up for here for lunch thanks to a surprise my sister had organised for me. As I work close by I had been wanting to try this place for a while. I'd heard good things so I was delighted. The menu on closer inspection didn't seem to exciting- the set menu offer a choice of 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts or you could switch a course for a glass of wine. My sister & friend took the option of the salmon main & glass of wine, while I picked the off menu and had the duck pizza.
Goes to show, don't judge a book by its cover! The descriptions might have been simplistic but the food was art. The presentation was excellent, and if I hadn't been so full I could have eaten anyone of those pizzas! My regret is that we didn't get a dessert - the table next to us did and there was some serious food envy. The service was great - not too in your face, but always close by - and very friendly. Think I'll have to pop back for dinner soon!
Tip = in good weather, get there early for a table outside, but do be aware that its on the pavement near the road.

4  Thank CarannaW
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Oxford Kitchen is a must for anyone visiting Oxford. The food was outstanding in its quality and beautiful presentation. We had dinner there last night and the trip advisor reviews were spot on. The staff are friendly and the service very efficient. Congratulations and we will be back soon!

2  Thank Margie P
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We went without our daughter but in hindsight she would have loved the children's menu too. As for the food, incredible. A lovely (and unbelievably reasonable) set menu we had the bream which I thought was beautifully presented and with flavours to match, lamb which was again a pretty dish full of flavour almost a summery roast dinner with the piperade and a simply amazing treacle tart!! We will be back!!

4  Thank Ross D
Reviewed July 5, 2014

First of all, The Oxford Kitchen is definitely a place I will return to. We were in Oxford only for a few hours and therefore chose this restaurant for lunch. So, we haven't had the opportunity to check out the dinner menu. However, the lunch was already very promising.

We had a starters and mains: gazpacho, bream, some lamb and some salmon. The presentation of the dishes was beautiful and very appetizing. While the gazpacho lived up to the standard of this presentation, the bream pretty much failed for me. The fish itself was delicious and well prepared - no doubt about it - but the combination of flavors from the vegetables and some sort of mandarin reduction was not very well balanced. Of course, this is a matter of taste, but I think this certainly wasn't the best way to present bream. The fruity sweetness was not the elegant, subtle company it should be, but the dominante component, overriding the taste of the fish completely.

However, the main dishes (lamb shoulder and pan fried salmon) made up for this "difference in taste". Again, beautiful presentation and this time very well balanced, but still interesting flavors. The piperade was simply brilliant.

Considering that these two dishes come at a price of only £13.50 (!) I think there is no doubt about the outstanding value of this deal. I will definitely come back for dinner one time so that the restaurant can actually earn some money on me.

4  Thank sgerst