“perfect”

Ranked #41 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
Harderwijk, The Netherlands
“perfect”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had a very pleassant stay at the conifers! Nice clean room with every day clean towels. The most friendly staf and the breakfast was lovely!
When we go to England again we surtenly are going to stay at conifers.
Greatings fam. Bakker from Holland

Room Tip: The room behind the building. Everything was new en nicely decorated
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hove, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Went to Oxford this weekend to visit family for an overnight stay. We would normally stay with our relatives but they have a young baby and we didn't want to inconvenience them so chose to stay at The Conifers instead.

On our arrival we were warmly welcomed and shown straight to our room which was an annex at the back of the property. It was simple but clean and exactly what we needed, actually it was like a mini apartment with two adjoining bedrooms. Perfect for us as we like the children to be near but not in the same room as us if possible.

Breakfast the next day was great with a good selection of options to choose from. It arrived quickly and was all freshly made.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Emma W
Copenhagen
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had booked 3 nights at what we thought would be an excellent English B&B. Instead, we were "greeted" by rude staff, shown to a shoe boxed sized room, and charged almost twice of what we ended up paying at another guesthouse 1.5 miles away. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoHa99
Manager116, Manager at The Conifers Guest House, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
i have checked our diary, having returned from a short break. I am afraid we have not had anybody staying with us from Copenhagen in the last few weeks. Do you think, you have reviewed the wrong Conifers.
Our relief manager who was here for few days is liked by all our guests.

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

lincolnshire
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Fourth time this year and I never have any problems always very clean and all the staff are very nice and friendly the owner Mrs Bola is very warm and friendly and always wants to help if you have any queries,very nice breakfast that sets you up for the day cannot wait to come back in January after the big refurbishment that starts soon Mrs Bola the owner showed me the plans of the new look rooms all look very nice

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to review us on Trip advisor and we are delighted to receive such positive comments.
We look forward to your stay in the coming year in our newly furbished rooms.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have stayed at Conifers several times over the last 2 years and I have always been very satisfied with my stay. Great clean en-suite rooms with very reasonable prices, excellent service, very friendly staff always eager to help me with any queries and good breakfast with a variety of plates. The location of the guesthouse is very convenient, as it is close to London road and a bus stop if you want to go to the city center. Mrs Bola is a wonderful host always eager to assist me with any questions i might have. When i travel again to Oxford I'll definitely stay at the Conifers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Costas P
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. It is always encouraging to receive a good review on line. As you would have seen our guest book is full of hundreds of excellent reviews and we are very grateful to our guests who take the time to write a positive review on line.

We look forward to your next visit and be of assistance once again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I booked a single room at this guesthouse to stay for a work trip at a nearby hospital. The location to the Churchill Hospital is very near which is excellent.

----------
You cannot expect warm service from the owners of this guesthouse. They are not rude or unhelpful but they are very distant. They have no qualms about telling you to switch off your toilet lights by slipping a note under your door. So you need to be prepared for notes like that.

Room
--------
The single room is very basic and small. It is clean but very tired looking. The bigger rooms are ok and I would have paid a little more to get a bigger room. There is only a small window panel in the single room - almost cell-like. So my advice to you is that you might want to pay more to get a room with a window or risk feeling like you are in a prison cell.

The room is clean and there are adequate necessities. I cannot find any fault to that - especially if it is a short stay. If it is anything beyond 3 days, it would be too depressing.

Toilet
-------
Ok - here is the catch.
The toilets (the toilet and bath area for this single room is separate) are clean at first glance. HOWEVER, what happened to me was not pleasant. I flipped up the toilet seat cover to find a BIG piece of faeces floating in the toilet. It looked really disgusting. I tried to flush it but it did not go down. To me, it seemed that the flush IS Working but the pipes might be choked or there is not enough of power to flush it. I had to fill containers of water with the wastepaper basket to flush it down. I spent a good 30 minutes on this. I realised the problem and felt that I could not use the toilet at all. The next day, I informed the owner and she indicated that she would check it out. She did and once again, she slipped me a note under my door to inform me that the flush is work well (YES, I know that!) and that they are planning to make some renovations at a later time (Who cares what they are going to do after I leave as I wanted a solution now). Essentially, she is telling me with live with it as there was nothing wrong. So, essentially, I cannot use the toilet because I have to live with it as long as I occupy the room.

I attempted to tolerate for a next few days but I could no longer do that. How can I not use the toilet? So I decided to cut short my stay. When I informed her that I would like to move out after 5 days out of my 12 days, she indicated that she is not happy with it. If you are threading the reviews, you may have noticed how defensive they can be - commenting on everything that has been said by reviews.

By then, I was feeling that it is just too bad. I cannot be bothered with her. I was even willing to pay a one night penalty. I had no accommodation and I cut short my work because I was so miserable.

So to sum up my experience, I would like to take you readers through my travel journey.

1) It is a wet day and you have about 30kg of luggage with you.
2) You enter into a guest house, there is no 'Hello' or 'How are you'
3) There is a particular smell in the guest house which is not bad but just stale.
4) You lug your luggage up the stairs into a very cell like room.
5) You need to use the toilet rather urgently considering the fact that you have just travelled from London.
6) You open the toilet seat and to find faeces.
7) You attempt to flush it down as there is no one around to call for.
8) You finally manage after 30 mins. You are relieved.
9) You decide to go get some food and you return with a note asking you to turn off the lights as it was causing noise (ok - my fault but how would I know right?)
10) You continue to live with the sub-standard toilet facilities.
11) You tell the owner who said she will check
12) You go to work and return in the evening with a note saying that things are ok... and perhaps you just have to live with it.

I will not say do not stay at this guest house as afterall, they are here to make a living. But I would recommend for those considering to exercise judgement with all these reviews and decide appropriately.

I believe the owner will likely respond to this and if it is so, I truly rest my case when she wanted the last say that she is not happy with me for wanting to bail out after 5 days...all because she wants to have the last say with a patronising sense of customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Sandosham
Manager116, Manager at The Conifers Guest House, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
I apologize once again that it should not have happened in the first place. Following a power flush by the Plumber the next day, my staff made sure that all was in order for the rest of your stay. One cannot be expected to stay in a room for 12 days with a blocked toilet.
However, had I known that you would have preferred to take a double room like your two colleagues, one of my regular guests who normally stays in a single room would have been happy to change rooms with your self.
I understood from what I was told that you anticipated to stay longer, however, your project finished early and that you will be checking out at the same time as your two colleagues, who booked for 5 nights only. If you needed to stay longer, you could have asked to take one of the rooms your colleagues had stayed in.
Some times our guests bring takeaways into the rooms, so, one may experience variety of smells in the public areas.
MY ADVISE WILL BE THAT ONE SHOULD TALK TO MANAGEMENT ABOUT ANY PROBLEM DURING ONES STAY SO THAT AN ACTION CAN BE TAKEN.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Don't come here for a relaxing stay. Breakfast by 8.15 struck me as get them in, get them out, and take the money and run. Never made to feel welcome only met the owner at payment time! That says a lot. Very noisy room from road noise never slept. Horrible double glazing past their best and curtains didn't fit properly. Décor dated. Bathroom window didn't have a latch to close. Last time I stayed anywhere like this I was a student in digs. Not a cheap roomn any more than £50 and you are being robbed. Breakfast ok probably the best bit. When I told the Slovakian girl I had not slept she merely laughed. Ever felt mugged without the mask and stripped jumper then this was it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Titch5656
Manager116, Manager at The Conifers Guest House, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
I am sorry about the broken handle on the bathroom window, we are unable to find replacement for it. However, we have plan to replace windows in most of the rooms with tripple glazed units, that should provide quality sound proofing.
I believe you stayed in Room 1, which is a large family room with a newly fitted bathroom and the decor is of good quality. The tariff for single occupancy, especially booked on line would be lot more than if you had booked a single room.
I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, although it is a little early for few of our guests, however, it seems to suit most guests in the weekdays and the breakfast time at the weekend is until 9am.
We are re-decorating and refurbishing most of the rooms this x-mas.