β€œClearly dont care about customers, don't bother with this place.”
Review of 1855 Wine Bar

1855 Wine Bar
Ranked #179 of 808 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Italian, Spanish, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2019

Myself, my husband and some friends decided to have a weekend in Oxford. As we're wine and cheese fans, I found 1855 online and thought ideal place to go.
I tried calling on several occasions but no one answered the phone each time, I left a voicemail which also had no response. So I made the booking online.

I did get a little worried as to whether they were in fact still in business. I sent them a message via facebook and did get a reply saying they were still open. But they didn't confirm my booking despite asking in my message.

As we got closer to our weekend in Oxford, I again tried calling. One week I tried every evening and each time, no answer. Left a voicemail and again no one ever called me back.

Sent an email, no reply. Sent message via facebook, no reply.

on the evening we had our booking, as we walked towards 1855 we could see it wasn't open. A surprise for a Saturday night.
On their door was a written notice saying they were closed due to air con issue, tills issue and power failure.
This made me very angry as clearly they didn't even consider contacting anyone with a booking to let them know they were closed!!

We decided we weren't going let this spoil our evening so we walked into the centre and managed to get a table at Cote Brasserie. we had a wonderful meal along with great service.

To me, 1855 is a clear example of how NOT to run a bistro / wine bar.
I don't know how people are meant to book a table if they don't respond to phone calls, voicemails or emails!
Plus the fact they didn't even have the decency to inform people with bookings that they couldn't honour those bookings.

A huge disappointment.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank LeamSpa89
Write a reviewReviews (231)

Reviewed January 29, 2019

This bar was great two years ago but it seems to be under new management and frequently the menu bears no resemblance to the wines actually available. When I did pick a wine which they have in stock, the vintage didn't match. A good wine bar knows the importance of vintages and if the vintage is listed on the menu, it must match the bottle you are given. Imagine a steak restaurant that takes your order for a sirloin and brings you a completely different cut.

The atmosphere, wine list and care over their selection needs to improve significantly.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed January 21, 2019

Cute quirky place with a good selection of wines.
Nice location at the Oxford castle, slightly hidden away and away from the hustle and bustle of Oxford, but still very accessible.
Love this place!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed January 17, 2019 via mobile

I had arranged for 6 friends to spend the evening here and booked through OpenTable. When we arrived there was a closed sign on the window and no explanation- the boards were outside offering a happy hour, etc. Very unhappy

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed November 13, 2018

I had such a nice time last night celebrating my birthday and Amy was an amazing host! Great food and drinks!

Date of visit: November 2018