“Dishonest, long delivery times and overpriced”

Taberu Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #121 of 634 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Dishonest, long delivery times and overpriced”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

They charged £5 delivery charge, because apparently we were more than 5 miles away from them, but it's only 4 miles if you take the straight route (not the Ring Road!).

The food took 70 minutes to get here, and was okay, but way too expensive compared to other Sushi places. Also for an order for £37 usually there are some good-will discounts or freebies, but they stuck to the order.

The person taking the order was quite unfriendly too. I would never order there again!

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxford
“Excellent food and good value!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Really fine food from this new eatery. It is a good compliment to the quirky little restaurants already on the Cowley road.

The food came as it was ready, so the four of us were left slightly flabbergasted by the amount we ordered! It didn't matter though as we tucked in to the array of dishes, happily. The variety on the menu was good and the size of the portions was more than in most Japanese restaurants. All in all, a very good experience.

The only downside, I guess would be that it is quite cramped, although I guess this is a traditional thing with Japanese restaurants in Oxford (Edamame). Also, one of the waitresses was not the best English speaker, so there was some confusion over the drinks orders.

• Visited January 2014
Oxford, UK
“good straightforward Japanese meal”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Six of us went for lunch, and had a good time. Both the decor and service were simple and unfussy, and the food was well-prepared and tasty. Between us we had ramen, bento box, sushi and tempura, and octopus balls, all of which delivered as per spec. I had the bento, with salmon teriyaki, with miso soup, which I ate up happily to the last scrap. I won't say it rivalled the best meals I had in Kyoto, but it seemed very much on par with a normal Japanese lunchtime restaurant. Taberu is a good addition to the Cowley Road

• Visited December 2013
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Fine Japanese cuisine on Cowley Road!!YUM!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Just got home after a well deserved treat, and dont feel over stuffed and I believe it was rather healthy too!Yay!. A fantastic get away from the chaos Christmas brings, and a delightful change from the same old routine. The deep fried chilli squid is the best I've tasted in a long while, and we tried the assorted Sashimi which was really good, the texture of the fish combined extremely well with the ginger , wasabi and soy. I really enjoyed the pork Katsudon!! again a well seasoned and flavoured dish. I was quite surprised how good the Katsu Curry was (with chicken): rich, smooth, tastey and not overpowering. The chardonnay was really good too, just to accompany a really good meal out. The staff were friendly, and the decor seamed correct for the oaccassion : minimalistic with style. Just before we left , a group of 12 arrived and the waitress dealt with them very professionally which was great to see and refreshing and them all seemed to settle in well. We will definately be back! (and order a home delivery too).

• Visited December 2013